CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

Django Unchained

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Inglorious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

massssssive gap after these six masterpieces to four that were mediocre to kinda bad

Kill Bill 1

Kill Bill 2

Hateful Eight

Death Proof

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

WoM will be poor. Still maybe his greatest effort since Jackie Brown for me. Floored by it. Actual movie rather then talking us through references.

Funny, heard the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Plot is not the main course in a movie, people. 

Depends. A bad plot ruins for many, self included. A movie can start great but if it ends like shit I will hate it and never speak of it fondly. It's like my trip to Saint Lucia. I think we had fun, but all I remember is the 20+ hour delay at Miami Airport, getting to a horrible hotel and not getting to eat (arrived at 1105pm, having started at 4am that day and the hotel closed the restaurant at 11pm)

It's all subjective, my wife hated Gran Torino but I loved it despite the sad ending. Million Dollar Baby imo I loathed the ending despite loving the first 80%. 

Edited by cdsacken

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Django Unchained

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Inglorious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

massssssive gap after these six masterpieces to four that were mediocre to kinda bad

Kill Bill 1

Kill Bill 2

Hateful Eight

Death Proof

I'll bite, how was Kill Bill mediocre? 

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Easily my favorite Tarantino anything since Jackie Brown. Not sure the GA will think much of it.

I keep seeing a lot of comparisons to Jackie Brown.... which is great, Jackie Brown is one of my favorite movies period.... not just Tarantino

But people didn't like Jackie Brown very much when it came out... They thought it was OK at best for a long time... it was only until much later that people started re-appraising the movie and realizing how much good stuff was in there. 

If this movie really does feel more like Jackie Brown than anything else, then it's probably going to have a lot of those same problems.... the people who feel like they KNOW what a "tarantino movie" is supposed to be will get impatient because it's not very "tarantino-y" and they'll leave the theater like "It was OK I guess"... and people will give it a pass because "OK I guess" isn't enough of a recommendation... And then they'll finally watch it like 5 years from now and say "wow, why did everyone give this a pass when it came out?"

• Like 1

I'm just going to say when I was walking out of the theatre I heard quite a few "really slow" comments. Also the person beside me kept shaking his leg as if he was trying to stay awake lol. (this bothered me a lot) So I'm not sure about WOM

It's definitely a long movie and I can see where people who criticize the 2nd act are coming from. That being said, it was a great movie for me from start to finish with a great script. It's also a nod to something that we all agree is becoming extinct: a movie in which movie stars carry the movie. I don't mean that like they had to carry the movie because all other aspects were bad, I just mean it's a movie about movie stars with real movie stars!

• Like 2

[Review] Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Brings Self-Indulgence to New Lows

It’s not fun, it’s not smart, it’s not challenging. It just comes across as self-serving and self-indulgent to a hitherto unseen degree. And a few great shots, solid performances and (as always) a stellar soundtrack can’t save it. Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood is Tarantino’s least satisfying motion picture, a fantasy that got completely out of hand, which spends more time wallowing in fetishistic nostalgia and being unconvincingly defensive than offering anything of genuine value.

• Knock It Off 2

On 7/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, maxalcamo said:

What hype do you want on the internet? It's not a marvel movie with noisy annoying fans. 

People with taste in cinematic art are there waiting for finally a movie event in this summer there is something original and not a video game for kids. 

It's Mr. Di Caprio first movie in 3 years, that's already an event. I'm here for not less than a 50M first weekend. 

To the people laughing at it, i got the last laugh i guess...

The other my prediction since i am in this forum was "not less than 650M Os for Aladdin" and people laughed at me.

Now I want someone laughing at me for my third prediction "120M only in Japan + South Korea for Cats"

Sony's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is already looking like some of our pre-release signals were actually on to something as the film took in an impressive $5.8 million from Thursday previews beginning at 4PM in ~3,300 locations. The performance is actually $300k ahead of Dunkirk's preview grosses ahead of that film's $50.5 million debut in July two years ago. As we pointed out in our preview below, IMDb page views showed Once Upon a Time outpacing Dunkirk over the two weeks leading up to release. This is also well ahead of the $3.25 million in previews for The Great Gatsby, which opened in May of 2013 with $50 million. This is not to say Once Upon a Time is on its way to a $50+ million opening, but these preview grosses are a very good sign that a $40-45+ million opening may be in the future.

We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

It's looking like a 50m+ OW.

12 hours ago, JB33 said:

It's definitely a long movie and I can see where people who criticize the 2nd act are coming from. That being said, it was a great movie for me from start to finish with a great script. It's also a nod to something that we all agree is becoming extinct: a movie in which movie stars carry the movie. I don't mean that like they had to carry the movie because all other aspects were bad, I just mean it's a movie about movie stars with real movie stars!

Even those who generally raved about the film think it drags badly in places, and the film could have used a little trimming.

Seeing it tomorrow.

BTW I don't think QT is retiring any time soon. For no other reason then he loves to be in the spotlight and if he stops making movies the spotlight will go away.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

BTW I don't think QT is retiring any time soon. For no other reason then he loves to be in the spotlight and if he stops making movies the spotlight will go away.

The cynical side of me thinks he won't stick to 10 movies then retire, I think he'll take a break after 10 films but then decide to do 10 more films.

33 minutes ago, dudalb said:

More-so than that he just loves films and making films, it's what he does. There's no reason for him to retire after 10 films other than he said he said he's going to. If it were just a matter of him staying on the spotlight there's plenty of ways to do that without being a director.

Just saw it. Definitely one of QT's slowest movies, but I still enjoyed it. My ranking:

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. True Romance (yes, I know TS directed it but it counts, damnit)

3. Inglourious Basterds

4. Kill Bill (counted as one movie)

5. Pulp Fiction

6. Jackie Brown

7. Hateful Eight

8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (may go higher on rewatch)

9. Django Unchained

10. Death Proof