grim22

I Feel Pretty | April 20 2018 | STX | Amy Schumer starring. Michelle Williams, Emily Ratajkowski and Rafe Spall. Gender swapped Shallow Hal like concept

I scrolled down every so slightly on the YouTube page and glanced at the first few user comments. Big mistake.

This movie is gonna be... something. It's obviously going to garner a ton of hate from the contingent that obsessively hates Amy Schumer, but I don't think it's necessarily going to go over well outside of that demographic either. Perhaps the film itself takes a different approach, but most of the humor in the trailer boils down to: "See how funny it is that this fat*, unattractive*, self-loathing person thinks she isn't any of those things?" There are definitely going to be some thinkpieces throwing words like "problematic" and "troubling" around like they're candy.

* Referring to the trailer's framing with these words here.

• Like 5

But I also think that, if handled well, the film could illuminate some interesting points about self-confidence, societal expectations of what 'beauty' is, and women roles. Of course it would not be the first movie to do this, but we all know that a film is more than the sum of its parts. Execution is key, and Schumer is a very likeable, charismatic actress with the right material.

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I scrolled down every so slightly on the YouTube page and glanced at the first few user comments. Big mistake.

This movie is gonna be... something. It's obviously going to garner a ton of hate from the contingent that obsessively hates Amy Schumer, but I don't think it's necessarily going to go over well outside of that demographic either. Perhaps the film itself takes a different approach, but most of the humor in the trailer boils down to: "See how funny it is that this fat*, unattractive*, self-loathing person thinks she isn't any of those things?" There are definitely going to be some thinkpieces throwing words like "problematic" and "troubling" around like they're candy.

* Referring to the trailer's framing with these words here.

Exactly, here's a teaser of what's to come when it's released:

Good luck, STX!

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

sjw's are so annoying. this is a fucking comedy not a period piece

Bingo.

These people bitching because Amy is allegedly oh-so-privileged are the same people who bashed Wonder Woman for not having women of color (although they conveniently 'forgot' that Gal Gadot is a woman of color...the fucking LEAD of the film) and who will bash Black Panther because "all the black women in it are cis, able-bodied, beautiful and thin; where are the trans, fat, and ugly back women?."

Gimme a break.

Representation matters.

Whining just for the sake of whining and being a crusader does not matter.

• Like 1

If this movie catches flack for its portrayal of women, it's not going to be because Amy Schumer is white/cis/whatever. It's going to be because this movie looks like it's going to build toward a moral that beauty is on the inside after spending 90 minutes wringing humor out of "fat and ugly" Amy Schumer thinking she's not "fat and ugly." Unless the trailer's tone is radically different from that of the film itself, it looks like it has the potential to be incredibly hypocritical in its intended message. You can get away with that if you're a wicked dark comedy that doesn't want the audience to sympathize with the protagonist and frames the moral he/she learns as the wrong lesson to take away from their experiences (like Ingrid Goes West or Young Adult), but not if you're sincerely trying to say something empowering, and it looks like this movie is definitely aiming for the latter.

• Like 11

I wrote up about this in my controversial predictions, and the trailer basically confirmed all of my thoughts. It's going to be reaaaaaally hard for me to get into the movie. The whole thing is a two sided coin. On one side, there's a message about embracing yourself and loving who you are, but then there's the "HEY IT'S AN OVERWEIGHT WOMAN WHO THINKS SHE'S PRETTY HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" side of the film that's just really lazy and icky humor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Webslinger said:

If this movie catches flack for its portrayal of women, it's not going to be because Amy Schumer is white/cis/whatever. It's going to be because this movie looks like it's going to build toward a moral that beauty is on the inside after spending 90 minutes wringing humor out of "fat and ugly" Amy Schumer thinking she's not "fat and ugly." Unless the trailer's tone is radically different from that of the film itself, it looks like it has the potential to be incredibly hypocritical in its intended message. You can get away with that if you're a wicked dark comedy that doesn't want the audience to sympathize with the protagonist and frames the moral he/she learns as the wrong lesson to take away from their experiences (like Ingrid Goes West or Young Adult), but not if you're sincerely trying to say something empowering, and it looks like this movie is definitely aiming for the latter.

This. When it takes 90 minutes to deliver an obvious message, it makes everything come before it feel utterly pointless.

Edited by Jay Beezy