Hiccup23

CAYOM Magazine

The Last Airbender: The Boy in the Iceberg (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: Deluxe Edition)

Original Score by Dario Marianelli

Reference scores:

This score description will just include descriptions of character themes and a track list:

To begin, the characters all have a central style of instruments being used for each nation - Fire Nation is brassy, the Water Tribes use strings, the few Earth Kingdom characters use heavy percussion, and the Air Nomads obviously would do woodwinds

Aang (Main Theme): a bit floaty, but nevertheless can become intense. It aims to keep an adventure vibe going though, and although there are certainly moments when it melts into more generic action music, it's more within how it interacts with the other more serious themes that allows this to become some more rousing than playful.

Zuko: Trumpets blare when angry, but in quieter moments, that melody is hauntingly played on a piano, as to represent Zuko's conflicted nature - he might try to assert himself as Fire Nation, but his soul lies somewhere else, and as such, the haunting piano comes out when not in an action sequence.

Sokka and Katara: Although they do not share a theme, the central sound of the Water Tribes comes through them, a suite that flows throughout their interactions with Aang. Violins and violas are the main thing here, and with Sokka it can be a bit more terse, but Katara more free-flowing. 

Yue/Moon Spirit: Utilizes a harp and more graceful instruments; the same melody is played for either character, yet when it's Yue, it's in tune. Otherwise, it's somewhat discordant, off and otherworldly.

Iroh: Something quieter and gentler. As a hint to Iroh's firebending style, this uses trumpets and oboes to create something that can be rearranged to immense power, but ultimately remains working together with Zuko's theme to create something haunting.

Zhao: Horns and tubas blare as Zhao's theme doubles as the main theme for the Fire Nation army. Immediately outshining anything in its presence, this theme is meant to spread like fire, overtaking any composition where it arrives.

Jet and the Freedom Fighters: Takes central inspiration from the credits theme, particularly the percussion elements within it. Tribal drums and a sense of the wild pervade from this theme.

Track listing:

1. The Four Nations
  2. The Iceberg
  3. Invasion of the South
  4. Battle of the Barge
  5. The Southern Air Temple
  6. The Banishment of Zuko
  7. Agni Kai
  8. Spirit World
  9. Journey to Hai Bai Forest
  10. Jet and the Freedom Fighters
  11. Sparring Match
  12. The Fire Sage Temple
  13. Avatar Roku
  14. The Blue Spirit
  15. Escape from Zhao
  16. Civil War
  17. The Northern Water Tribe
  18. Yue and Sokka
  19. To Hurt and to Heal
  20. The Avatar and His Master
  21. The Siege of the North
  22. The Spirit Oasis
  23. The Storm
  24. Koh the Face-Stealer
  25. The Dragon of the West
  26. The Night Without a Moon
  27. La and Aang
  28. The Princess's Sacrifice
  29. Zhao's Last Stand
  30. Farewells and Credits
  • Like 4

@CayomMagazine

Now that all critics have shared their opinion on Phoenix Fire Entertainment's sci-fi blockbuster Mighty Fall, the studio is releasing some details about the sequel.

First of all, Alex Hirsch, who wrote and directed Mighty Fall, will step down from the writer-director's chair, instead becoming a producer for the follow-up entry.

The Man's Guide to Love Rom/Com by Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett –  FilmoFilia

The sequel will bring in Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett as writer-director duo. Together, they are notable for their work on the likes of the film Little Manhattan and, most notably, the adult animated series Big Mouth - which, while this film is not intended for an adult audience per se, does have elements of coming-of-age, self-discovery adventure in it, in a similar vein to Big Mouth.

More details in the spoiler box below. Beware of Mighty Fall spoilers, in case you haven't seen it yet and don't wanna know anything.

Spoiler

The official title of the sequel is Tatiana's Journey.

It will follow the crew of the Tatiana ship immediately following the events of Mighty Fall.

Jane (Olivia Cooke), now done with her mission of finding Hakana - who turned out to be a loyal follower of a genocidal maniac - wants to return to her normal life of being a space PI and not get involved anymore with the war against the Trucidator (Viola Davis), worried that she will get herself and her compatriots in irreversible amounts of trouble. In conflict with her is Allyarah (Naomi Scott), who is focused in giving a fight back to the Trucidator after all the pain that the space dictator had inflicted to the various dimensions, further tapping into the warrior potential we had seen a glimpse of in Mighty Fall. Allyarah develops into a de facto leader of the Tatiana, but she also has to cope with the fact that she is beginning to develop feelings for Jane, the person whose interests are at conflict with hers, at the very same time.

Thiago (Finn Wolfhard), who is celebrating his 18th birthday, takes his sister's side (although not without his hesitation - such as the fact that he is upset over Jane choosing to name the ship after their mother, but ultimately agrees with her when confronted with the truth that the war - directly and indirectly - led to their orphanage), while Trudar (voice of Dee Bradley Baker) and Grath (voice of Billy West) agree with Allyarah.

As the Tatiana journeys to Animearth - the animated dimension version of planet Earth - the crew members discover that the Trucidator is tracing their steps after them rescuing Tersuto, taking particular interest in one of the ship's crew. They are slotted not on a rollicking space adventure, but rather a journey of self-discovery that makes them question who they really are.

---

The sequel, taking inspiration from EssGeeKay Studios' Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper and the evolution from its predecessor to it, pretends to be a lot less dreary and much more of a lighthearted jolt, with more comedy and heart to befit the obvious nature of 2D animated, Looney Tunes-inspired characters, but still retaining the ambition to be a major player in the space opera genre

As already mentioned, many cast members from Mighty Fall will be reprising their roles. Olivia Cooke, Naomi Scott, Finn Wolfhard, Dee Bradley Baker, Billy West and Viola Davis all return as Jane, Allyarah, Thiago, Trudar, Grath and the Trucidator respectively. Also returning are Chris Evans, Bob Bergen and Kira Kosarin as Hakana, Helaros and Shelaine. And, Diogo Morgado and Hailee Steinfeld reprise their roles as older Victor and younger Tatiana, the parents of Jane and Thiago, respectively. Three new additions to the cast include Shannon Woodward as Felicia, Trudar's animated bunny wife; Brandon Flynn as a younger Victor; and Tatiana Maslany as an older Tatiana.

No release date can be indicated as of yet for Tatiana's Journey, but it may end up being between December Y10 and December Y11.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 3

@CayomMagazine

New Journey Pictures may have disbanded, but the people behind that studio are eager to rejoin the CAYOM film industry and start again from scratch. They are creating a new studio:

Studio Groundswell

The people behind Studio Groundswell want to focus on providing audiences with simplistic genre films that rely on strong narrative execution. The company will not [write films that exceed 5,000 words], and they will not [set out to write overly ambitious works that cannot be written without exceeding that number]. Groundswell will be looking into reclaiming some of the franchise rights that New Journey Pictures previously possessed as time goes forward. Studio Groundswell thanks industry insiders and moviegoers for their enthusiasm.

Edited by SLAM!
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

How long was that, two weeks?

Spoiler

Yeah. That's the longest time I've taken off for sure. Quitting was definitely a serious consideration for me this time. But there's still things I want to do in CAYOM, like finishing out Year 8 by participating with an Oscar thread, and I also want to be a judge for the festival, and I think by that time, my interest in writing films will be reignited. Starting from square one puts less pressure on my writing, so I think it's a good decision for me.

I apologize for my behavior over the past month or two, and I'm going to keep writing for the foreseeable future. I'm going to focus on catering to what I believe a good film is rather than catering to cultural trends or box office hopes. I'm staying off of Telegram as a strategy for my writing in order to approach my films with a pure form of self-confidence in my own creative decisions—and I wouldn't want to annoy the chat, anyways (which I believe I had been prone to do at times). I'm going to take everything previously said about admittedly stupid/bad/tone-deaf ideas like my (forever canceled) baker film and my (forever canceled) Marvel superhero film into account, and I'm going to do my very best to make creative decisions that make sense both to me as well as on the level of common sense. I hope that this is an explanation that everyone is able to understand, and thank you for your response.

• Like 1

@CayomMagazine

😊

Studio Groundswell is formulating their Y9 schedule and has optioned several films for its inaugural year of film distribution. For any adaptations included in the forthcoming list, the rights to those properties will be claimed shortly after this announcement is published. The previously announced "no magazine announcements" rule was applied to NJP and does not apply to Studio Groundswell.

Spoiler

ALAKAZAM! (dir. Chris Appelhans, Animation)

A 3D-animated adventure story about an audacious stage magician named Remington Riffle (Benedict Cumberbatch) who swaps bodies with his mild-mannered talking rabbit Preston (Eddie Redmayne) after a magic trick gone awry, forcing him to travel through his top hat to the magical world of Alakazam in an attempt to reverse the trick's result. *

THE BIBLE THIEF (dir. Roxanne Dawson, Drama)

* About a college student named Rene Ruiz (Jason Genao)—the first of his family to attend college—who takes a Bible from a Christian student organization on campus, prompting tenacious student leader Darius Woolley (KJ Apa) to try and find out who "stole" the book in an attempt to get them to admit their guilt; the leader enacts his search to the bewilderment of his superior, graduate student Imani Rollins (Keke Palmer). Evangeline Lilly guest stars as a courteous Biology professor. *

BIKINI (dir. Kelly Reichardt, Drama)

* Based on a short story by Alicia Erian, the film follows a woman named Vanessa (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), a grad student who enjoys strutting in her birthday suit any moment she is able to. Her free-spirited nature comes into conflict with the sternness of Middle-Eastern-American grad student Shawki (Riz Ahmed), whom she falls in love with. *

THE BONE KING (dir. Alan Taylor, Action)

* An action thriller set during medieval times in which an army's worth of skeletons rise out of the earth and start killing humans, convincing a party of soldiers (including people such as knights and mages) to travel to the source of the phenomenon in an effort to vanquish their undead adversaries. Actors with starring roles will include Tom Hiddleston, Henry Golding, and Claire Foy. *

FIRST VICTIM (dir. Josh Boone, Horror)

* Most slasher films kill off the immoral teens before showing the virtuous one(s) defeating the killer. But in First Victim, the most virtuous teen in his group of log cabin vacationers, Ollie Puckett (Timothée Chalamet), is murdered by a serial killer who calls himself The Beekeeper (Caleb Landry Jones). After realizing that he has been killed, Ollie brings it upon himself to aid his friends in escaping or fighting back against The Beekeeper as a poltergeist. Horror with a heart. *

THE MIRAGE (dir. Susanne Bier, Horror)

* Glen Powell stars as Ralph Buxton, a rambunctious detective tasked with finding a missing girl named Allison (Margaret Qualley). His search takes him through the American southwest to a ghost town near a secluded canyon. The location looks unassuming, if inhospitable—but all is not what it seems. Horror without a heart. *

SUPER MONKEY BALL (dir. Karey Kirkpatrick, Animation)

* The people behind Groundswell are looking to continue the "one animated video game adaptation per year" trend previously perpetuated by NJP with Pikmin, Banjo-Kazooie, and Animal Crossing. The film will star the voice talents of Jimmy Tatro, Auli'i Cravalho, Alan Tudyk, Brian Tyree Henry, Isabela Merced, Domhnall Gleeson, Jordan Peele, and Keegan-Michael Key and will follow Aiai (Tatro) and his friends as they try to get their village's bananas back from Dr. Bad-Boon (Key), who stole them in an effort to force Meemee (Cravalho) to marry him. *

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES: POWER OF THE MONADO (dir. Wes Ball, Sci-Fi/Adventure)

* The gaming masterpiece by Japanese developer Monolith Soft is being turned into a feature film trilogy by the director of the Maze Runner films. The film takes place in a world of creatures living on the bodies of two giant titans, and it follows scientist Shulk (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), soldier Reyn (John Boyega), and medic Sharla (Jessie Mei Li) as young Homs (i.e. humans) who band together to save the townsfolk of Shulk's home, Colony 9, after mechanical beings known as Mechon kidnap the townsfolk with the intention of eating them. *

Studio Groundswell will not add anything else to their Y9 schedule unless they feel the need to greenlight something immediately, or unless the production of one film is going sour in a way that deeply concerns the executive (a la Mr. Slamster)—fillers and docs notwithstanding.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 3

@CayomMagazine @ LagerPictures

Academy Award nominated filmmaker Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, Black Swan) has been tapped to replace Ridley Scott as the director of the upcoming Robert Pattinson-led Historical Thriller, American Brutus. Scott is still slated to serve as an executive producer on the film and his production company, Scott Free Productions, will still co-produce alongside Aronofsky's production company, Protozoa Pictures. 

The film is currently still slated for a late Y10 release date.

• Like 2

John David Washington (The Long Way Home, Tenet) is set to lead an upcoming project for Hunt Productions, Gone and Here Again.

The film is set in a modern world where things seem normal... except sometimes people randomly vanish in to thin air. Some of the will reappear months or years later and some will never return. Sometimes will appear into the world who have never been born at all. Washington will be playing the role of a man who reappears 8 years after his disappearance and is burdened with proving his former existence.

• Like 7

@CayomMagazine

Studio Groundswell formally announces...

Spoiler

Spoiler

TRIUMPHANT (dir. Cate Shortland if available, Sports/Biopic)

*Thomasin McKenzie stars as Monica Seles, a Yugoslavian tennis star of the early 90s who struggles to overcome a startling and life-altering attack by an obsessive fan. May or may not be adapted from a source (i.e. book/article).*

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

Following the smash opening weekend of The Last Airbender: The Boy in the Iceberg, which broke the record for both Blankments Productions (by 70m) and November (by 50m), Blankments Productions is pleased to announce the returning cast and new main cast members of the sequel, scheduled for November 7, Y9.

THE LAST AIRBENDER: 
The Blind Bandit

Returning main cast members include…

Ian Chen as Avatar Aang

Siena Agudong as Katara

Forrest Goodluck as Sokka

Ryan Potter as Prince Zuko

Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as Jet

And Chow Yun-Fat as Uncle Iroh

In addition, the film will feature several new cast members, a few of which who made appearances in the first film:

Noel Cho - IMDb51e3324f36821a1bfa1f4bd0a57809b7.jpg

Noel Cho as Toph Beifong - Member of one of the richest families in the Earth Kingdom, Toph appears to be a helpless blind girl to her parents, but moonlights as an Earthbending champion. Her path will soon cross with the Avatar, and her destiny will change forever...

Never Have I Ever" Star Ramona Young on Playing Eleanor and Breaking Down  Taboos | Teen Vogue7215fe109e09df1b45e2c02133fe1d58.png

Ramona Young as Princess Azula - Zuko’s younger sister, Azula has always been much more adept at Firebending than her brother. After the Fire Nation’s failure at the North Pole, she takes on her personal quest to hunt down her brother and uncle, solidifying her place as the Fire Lord’s most trusted relative.

Lana Condor - WikipediaTy Lee screenshots, images and pictures - Comic Vine

Lana Condor as Ty Lee - one of Azula’s two good friends helping her on her mission. Unusually sunny, Ty Lee is a master of chi blocking, a form of martial arts that goes after pressure points and prevents her enemies from being able to bend.

Geraldine Viswanathan - Wikipediac5e954956b8249e152a10feafffe596b.png

Geraldine Viswanathan as Mai - Azula’s best friend, Mai is the opposite of Ty Lee in nearly every way. She grew up in the Earth Kingdom colonies and indeed, comes from a mixed family. She’s been friends with Azula since they were kids, and is useful in the arts of throwing knives and using daggers.

Steven Yeun - IMDbzei_8364.png

With Steven Yeun as Professor Zei - a man who has studied his whole life to find the lost library of Wong Shi Tong. When Sokka discovers his mission, it becomes Team Avatar’s prerogative to help him find the library and see if they can find any strategic advantage to use against the Fire Nation in the war. Zei, though? He’s just excited to meet a real Airbender!

Furthermore, the following actors have been cast in undisclosed roles:

Daniel Henney
Manny Jacinto
Dileep Rao
Ming-Na Wen

The Last Airbender: The Blind Bandit, directed by Jon M. Chu and written by Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko and Michael Arndt & Adele Lim, is scheduled for release on November 7, Y9.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 7

@CayomMagazine

Studio Groundswell formally announces...

Spoiler

MECHAMEN

(dir. Jaume Collet-Serra)

* A Q4 IMAX release in which global tensions spark the construction of giant mech robots to be used as weapons in the event of imminent warfare. As the world's innocents clamor for a display of these mechs and the nations thirst for opportunities to display their mechanized might, the United States selects former college athlete Joseph (Forrest Goodluck) to pilot a unique mech designed through the inspiration of the Native American tribes, who are connected to the origin of the nation as a whole. Joseph must use his mech, nicknamed Apache by the United Nations, to fight in (and win) an eight-entrant tournament of battles between similar specialized mechs from across the globe—but if he fails and the Russians win, they will use that as a green light to dominate the world. Mechamen discusses themes of nationhood and sovereignty in addition to providing stunning action and visual effects. *

• Like 1

@CayomMagazine

Studio Groundswell is ready to announce the major cast members of its sci-fi film Mechamen.

Forrest Goodluck

Ella Purnell

Josh Brolin

Anthony Mackie

Tiya Sircar

Tadanobu Asano

Ludi Lin

Tatiana Maslany

Jamie Dornan

with Martin Sensmeier

and Liev Schreiber

Edited by SLAM!

THE AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE ANNOUNCES ANNUAL TOP 10 FILMS FOR YEAR 8

An annual tradition for the American Film Institue, they are pleased to announce the top 10 films of Year 8.

Using statistics from both the Critical Consensus thread and the Review Aggregation thread, this list was created for AFI's top ten films. Films that made the top 10 in both threads were automatically included, while films with the next lowest sum of rankings filled any gaps. 

Without further ado, the films are below, listed in alphabetical order.

NOTE: Due to a tie in rankings, there are 11 films.

Spoiler

THE BRONX IS BURNING

Directed by Martin Scorsese

Numerator Pictures

EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU

Directed by Chloe Zhao

New Journey Pictures Classics

EVERYTHING WE MISS

Directed by Michael Dudok De Wit

Cookie Pictures

FLIGHTLESS BIRD: THE DOWNFALL OF THE BOEING 737 MAX

Directed by Josh Kriegman and Elyse Steinberg 

Cookie Pictures

HOLLAND HANNAH

Directed by Anton Corbjin

Alpha Pictures

THE LAST AIRBENDER: THE BOY IN THE ICEBERG

Directed by Jon M. Chu

Blankments Productions

LEARNING TO CARE

Directed by Brett Haley

Blankments Productions

OLIVE'S ALLOWED EVE

Directed by Jemaine Clement

Blankments Productions

SANDBOY

Directed by Behn Zeitlin

Blankments Productions

THE SPACE BETWEEN TREES

Directed by Debra Granik

Blankments Productions/EssGeeKay Pictures

WORLD OF TROUBLE

Directed by Jason Bateman

Numerator Pictures

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Like 7

@CayomMagazine

Phoenix Fire Entertainment would like to thank the Academy voters for the 12 nominations the studio received on Y8, and also congratulate the filmmakers and crew of the nominated films - Eminem-esque (Best Documentary Feature), Far Cry (Best Use of Action), Floodbath (Best Cinematography), The Lost Empire (Best Production Design, Best Costume Design and Best Makeup & Hairstyling), Mighty Fall (Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects), Returning from Hell (Best Actress) and Up in the Sky (Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Leading Role and Best Visual Effects).

Looking into Y9, the studio is now in development on an adaptation of The Next Good Day, a short story by Oliver Bisky, about a young adult male with depression whose therapist buys him a piano, and he struggles with it. Tom McCarthy (The Visitor, Spotlight) writes and directs; Devin Druid (13 Reasons Why), Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man, Marie Antoinette, Melancholia, Fargo, The Beguiled) and Katelyn Nacon (The Walking Dead) star.

Should there be a Y9 Film Festival, The Next Good Day replaces the untitled thriller from Karyn Kusama as the out-of-competition entry from Phoenix Fire. The in-competition entry will still be a yet unannounced surrealist drama from Carmilla director Emily Harris.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

@CookiePictures

Cookie Pictures would like to extend their gratitude to the voting body of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for awarding eight nominations to our Y8 output, Best Documentary Feature for Flightless Bird: The Downfall of the Boeing 737 MAX and Best Animated Feature for Everything We Miss in particular.

In preparation for the ceremony, the studio would like to announce two film reveals scheduled for the event, one live during the awards and one exclusive to CAYOM Magazine to drop around the same time. Teasers are included in the tags below.

TUNE IN DURING THE Y8 ACADEMY AWARDS FOR

Spoiler

from the studio behind

THE
SCAVENGER
WARS

and the director of

4489cd5b-ecb9-4b83-be94-2aa12d155c3b.png 83-837133_the-last-jedi-last-jedi-logo-p KnivesOutLogo.png

JJUh5if.jpg

AND THEN GO TO CAYOMMAGAZINE.COM FOR THE EXCLUSIVE REVEAL OF

Spoiler

zsskyPC.jpg

Edited by cookie
  • Like 6