CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A Christmas Carol really is the worst film he's made. It's just so soulless and dry. I remember seeing it over Thanksgiving when I was 9 with my dad and grandma, and none of us cared for it.

I actually kinda enjoy the 2009 version of A Christmas Carol, I'll admit.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

A Christmas Carol really is the worst film he's made. It's just so soulless and dry. I remember seeing it over Thanksgiving when I was 9 with my dad and grandma, and none of us cared for it.

Come on every version of A Christmas Carol should have a chase scene.  It's exactly how Dickens wrote it

Since no one seems to have posted this and we seem to be going way off topic. Here is the chart from Deadline

1). Dunkirk (WB), 3,720 theaters / $19.7M Fri. (includes $5.5M previews) / 3-day cume: $51M /Wk 1

2). Girls Trip (UNI), 2,591 theaters / $11.7M Fri. (includes $1.7M previews) / 3-day cume: $28.1M /Wk 

3.) War For The Planet Of The Apes (FOX), 4,100 theaters (+78) / $6M Fri. (-73%) / 3-day cume: $21.7M (-61%) /Total: $99.1M/Wk 2

4). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL), 4,130 theaters (-218)/ $6.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $21.6M (-51%)/Total: $251.3M/Wk 3

5). Valerian And The City of A Thousand Planets (EUR/STX), 3,553 theaters / $6.6M Fri. (includes $1.7M previews) / 3-day cume: $16.7M /Wk 1

6). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 3,525 theaters (-630) / $3.8M Fri. (-46%) / 3-day cume: $11.9M (-38%) /Total: $212.5M/ Wk 4

7). Baby Driver (SONY), 2,503 theaters (-540) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.7M (-34%)/ Total cume: $83.9M /Wk 4

8.) The Big Sick (AMAZ/LGF), 2,597 theaters (0) / $1.4M / 3-day cume: $4.6M (-39%)/Total: $24.1M/Wk 5

9.) Wonder Woman (WB), 1,971 theaters (-773) / $1.3M Fri. (-33%)/ 3-day cume: $4.2M (-38%)/ Total: $388.6M / Wk 7

10). Wish Upon (BG), 2,154 theaters (-96)/ $794K / 3-day cume: $2.4M (-56%)/Total: $10.4M/Wk 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That and Polar Express really put me off. Beowulf is at least pretty weird and such an awesome source to adapt to the big screen. I wish the technology was where it is now when he did that one. Not great but at least interesting.

A Christmas Carol at least has a great Silvestri score.

I have a Beowulf blu-ray lying around which I got from a friend of a friend who didn't need it years ago, and I popped it into the player recently. Lasted about two minutes. I couldn't believe just how wretched that thing looks. And I saw it on the biggest screen in town back in the day too and, from memory, didn't mind the visuals then. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That and Polar Express really put me off. Beowulf is at least pretty weird and such an awesome source to adapt to the big screen. I wish the technology was where it is now when he did that one. Not great but at least interesting.

I actually saw Beowulf in the cinemas. Haven't really revisit it since then, but I do remember it getting pretty brutal for technically being an animated feature. Honestly I don't think any of Zemeckis' mo-cap films were bad in theory, he was just obsessed with the format when it really wasn't that well-advanced or well-tried out yet.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

A Christmas Carol at least has a great Silvestri score.

I have a Beowulf blu-ray lying around which I got from a friend of a friend who didn't need it years ago, and I popped it into the player recently. Lasted about two minutes. I couldn't believe just how wretched that thing looks. And I saw it on the biggest screen in town back in the day too and, from memory, didn't mind the visuals then. 

Almost of all Zemeckis's film have good Silvestri scores, so that's not too surprising. That's probably part of the reason why I enjoyed the film back in 2010, well that and Carrey's performance. 

2 hours ago, Damianport1 said:

Gitesh is sayin that Dunkirk still will do 52. he was right about 20M friday so maybe he is right again

Nolan drawing power of IMAX version is significantly higher, TDKR: 15%, interstellar: 28% and now dunkirk 24%.

they should name him as Father of IMAX

• Like 1