CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, alisson23 said:

There is a story to be spoiled? Isn't it based on a real event?!?! I'm shocked.

I haven't even seen it yet. Probably today. I brought a stylistic choice I had heard about as opposed to spoiling actual content

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alisson23 said:

There is a story to be spoiled? Isn't it based on a real event?!?! I'm shocked.

I think spoilers in regards to which characters live or die, and events specific to the movie should be banned.

Everything else about the battle should be fair game. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

The potential end of humanity. But split the title up into two words and it gives a hint about the content: "Seven Eves". 

The blurb on Amazon:

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space. But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain...

Sounds awesome, and the Seven Eves thing totally intrigues me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I haven't even seen it yet. Probably today. I brought a stylistic choice I had heard about as opposed to spoiling actual content

What was the choice?

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I think spoilers in regards to which characters live or die, and events specific to the movie should be banned.

Ethan's comment was about a particular choice of structure that's highly specific and unique to DUNKIRK. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Not a single one of these things is a negative. And barely over two hours is so long now? Goddamn that's sad. 

I think the poster meant it feels long. Probably due to the number of quiet scenes with no dialogue or action. I loved it, but I can see why some people will start tuning out during the second act especially. 

15 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

1- Probably not. If they feel that they absolutely fricking have to shoehorn an MCU character, then go for those who are demonstrably the most popular at the box office. Iron Man was the right choice to try to boost the grosses for SM:H (did it work? I guess nobody knows for sure) but if they do it again, would audiences respond positively or negatively? I guess the next best thing (if we go by MCU solo film success) would be Cap (right?)

I kind a disagree. I think instead of putting a character that is more famous or someone who would pull in more people it would be better if they put in a character who is more synergic with spidey. Someone that makes sense from a story point of view or someone who spidey has interacted or worked with before in comics. Iron Man made sense from a story point of view for this version of spidey hence he was in there

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

Battle?

i though it was about the coal mines in Dunkirk, Kansas. Way to go on spoiling the movie. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 2

Good OD for Dunkirk and Girls Trip, awful for Valerian. Friday increases look somewhat muted, especially for SMH which is looking at a >50% and possibly 55% drop again this weekend. Apes is :rofl: 

Wonder Woman should hit #1 of summer today

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's on Amazon Prime. Might check it out

Shares a lot in common with Interstellar. Considered somewhat of a misfire by a very, very esteemed filmmaker - Robert Zemeckis - but it's certainly an event and much of it is straight up awesome.

By the way, folks bring up Nolan's power. Zemeckis was an absolute beast at the box office. Back to Future Trilogy, Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump, Polar Express, Cast Away.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Sounds awesome, and the Seven Eves thing totally intrigues me.

I've read the book. Its good, but a little disjointed.

Its really two stories, with the first one setting up the context for the second one. But, oddly, the first one is a nicely put together story (though it starts dragging near the end) while the second one, which he spent all that time setting up and feels like the story he wanted to tell, wanders around aimlessly. It spends all its time on world-building rather than fleshing out the characters or the plot.

Really, the first story should have been the book, with the beginning of the second story the epilogue. If it did well, he could have used the rest of the second story as the starting point to the sequel. Plus, he'd have had more time to think it through.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2