MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

God damn at that UK number.

Given the subject matter though, absolutely not shocking to see it hold well. Still wow.

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Hurt Locker made way less than 30 million and it stayed in the Oscar race.

The academy seems like they could care less about how well a film does financially these days when they nominate their best picture anyway.

In terms of clout:

1. WDAS/Pixar

3. Illumination

4. DreamWorks Animation

5. Blue Sky

6. WAG

7. Sony Pictures Animation

8. Paramount.

In terms of favourite:

1. WDAS

2. Pixar

3. Studio Ghibli

4. Aardman

5. Laika

6. DreamWorks Animation

7. Warner Animation Group

8. Blue Sky

9. Sony Pictures Animation

10. Paramount

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Oh. You meant is in which has the most appeal, correct?

Which one can guarantee a certain level of box office just because they did it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Given the subject matter though, absolutely not shocking to see it hold well. Still wow.

The combination of the subject matter and Nolan as a draw in the UK. If Nolan decides to direct a Western or a gangster film, it would do strong business domestically IMO

I still haven't gotten over how... good Valerian is doing at my theatre. I thought it would be another Jupiter Ascending here (as it is performing in general at the box office) but nope. Our equivalent of 25M opening weekend, crazy strong midweek holds, and 15M this weekend. Will be over 65M by the end of today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

BO clout is IMO different than worldwide box office on average. Like I said, WDAS coasts on the broader general Disney brand name. But like Blue Sky? DWA? WAG? Even SPA? Just because you have a string of hits like DWA or Blue Sky or WAG has had doesn't mean it has BO clout IMO. Pixar and Illumination are known quantities. I don't think most people really know of Blue Sky or the others. I've never seen someone go "oh Blue Sky made a film, I have to go see this!"

I'd say DWA had huge clout but a string of under performers hurt the brand, they seem to be recovering with the likes of Home, Boss Baby etc but it remains to be seen if they can regain their glory days

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'd say DWA had huge clout but a string of under performers hurt the brand, they seem to be recovering with the likes of Home, Boss Baby etc but it remains to be seen if they can regain their glory days

DWA like most animated studios with large BO numbers are built on successfull IPs rather than their own studio brand name.

Pixar can do original films and get them over $100 million on their brand name alone. DWA never really boasted that. They could launch IPs sure but beyond that?

Dunkirk Forecast:

Aug 4: $18.3 million ( $136.3 million)

Aug 11: $11 million ( $157.8 million)

Aug 18: $6.4 million ( $170.2 million)

Aug 25: $4.4 million ( $178.1 million)

Sep 1: $4.1 million / $4.9 million ( $185 million)

Sep 8: $2.4 million ( $189.2 million)

Sep 15: $1.7 million ( $191.1 million)

Final Total: $200 million ( 3.96 x multiplier)

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I still haven't gotten over how... good Valerian is doing at my theatre. I thought it would be another Jupiter Ascending here (as it is performing in general at the box office) but nope. Our equivalent of 25M opening weekend, crazy strong midweek holds, and 15M this weekend. Will be over 65M by the end of today.

Your theater seems to be an extreme outlier every week in one way or another. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Not unlike SMH. 62% and then 50%.

Too bad Apes opening to half of SMH won't give it any chance to recover in a similar way. PTA is dropping way too fast.

43 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Feel like Hollywood is yet again going to misread why Girls Trip did so well and instead of greenlighting more modestly-budgeted comedies (for either gender), their go-to reaction will be a Girls Trip sequel. Basically what happened with Bad Moms last summer.

By this logic neither Bad Moms nor Girls Trip would have existed in the first place since both are modestly-budgeted comedies that aren't sequels. We get more than enough of them every year.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The combination of the subject matter and Nolan as a draw in the UK. If Nolan decides to direct a Western or a gangster film, it would do strong business domestically IMO

A Nolan western has the potential for 150m+, which is great for the genre. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Laika doesn't even have a $100 million domestic grosser when adjusted. How does it have more BO clout than say Illumination?

You could I guess argue Ghibli if your talking internationally but DOM that studio has zero BO clout.

I'm talking about quality. Just this.

Apes is going to be one of the first films to suffer on the 11th and 18th. Anecdotal evidence, but it and Valerian are selling pretty close to each other at my theater while the latter can actually sell 3D tickets. Midsize theaters will ditch it by the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2