MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

58 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:
1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

This could be a good emoticon.

XJGmDFj.gif

54 minutes ago, Rman823 said:
1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

I feel it'll come in handy this weekend when TDT numbers hit. 

33 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:
1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

It would be good to use when it comes to second weekend drop / day to day number meltdown. AH!!!

Going back to the forum, seeing 3 notifications, clicking it only to find out none of them were Likes.

giphy.gif

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Rth Homecoming said:

top playdates 30-Jul

18-NCC Cinerama, Seattle WA            DK

Hey, Seattle represent.

DK is going to play there for another three weeks, too. It's not 70mm anymore, but the Christie laser is nice, too.

After that it'll be the 70mm festival, where I'll get to see Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. 

• Like 3

I had a feeling the Gravity comparisons for Dunkirk's run were always optimistic. The film actually gets better in my mind the more I reflect on it, but as a sensory experience coupled with the subject matter it really is just too damn heavy for those kind of legs.

(Yeah, I'm saying that after the fact, but hey.)

14 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I had a feeling the Gravity comparisons for Dunkirk's run were always optimistic. The film actually gets better in my mind the more I reflect on it, but as a sensory experience coupled with the subject matter it really is just too damn heavy for those kind of legs.

I think you are right, to get legs you have to make people feel good and want to come back for more.

13 hours ago, MrPink said:

Revised Friday and Saturday numbers being lower + heavy Sunday drops across the board than expected + WB being pretty optimistic on Sunday in the first place = Sadness

26.6 is still fine, but I would prefer WB not way over-project like that. That is some shit on their part.

13 hours ago, MrPink said:

Where was the impact last week though. Drops seemed to be around 25%. 26-27% the week before. This week, it seems closer to 30%

13 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Who knows? Last year on the same Sunday, drops were around 20% for the Top 12 grossers. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2016-07-31&p=.htm

Lol at saying "that is some shit on their part".  No it isn't.  

Weekend estimates are done on Saturday and based off historical data.  Warner Bros. and others did exactly what they always do, but the market fell unexpectedly.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Dunkirk will be at $130m on Sunday and around $145m or so on August 13th.  

I said on its OW I'd be happy with anything over 150m. It's a hell of a lot better than some predicted a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

It was never going to have that kind of run since it's not a popcorn movie like Inception or Gravity.

I predicted a sub-3.0 multiplier based on the South Koreans rating it as low as Insomnia on their version of IMDB before the domestic release, but I'm glad to be wrong.

It should be able to reach a 3.4 multiplier at least ($172m). That's pretty solid, especially since Thursday previews accounted for almost 11% of the opening weekend total. 

Having said all that, Dunkirk is kicking ass in the UK. Probably headed for a final gross around $65-70m, which is amazing given the shitty exchange rates in 2017. 

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol at saying "that is some shit on their part".  No it isn't.  

Weekend estimates are done on Saturday and based off historical data.  Warner Bros. and others did exactly what they always do, but the market fell unexpectedly.  

I'm well aware of how it works, but...a few of us certainly called that their 20-21% drop on Sunday was pretty optimistic. While last year's data might have supported that,  recent weeks haven't. I'm not suggesting actual malice, but just bad estimates on their part. Yes the market fell harder than expected, but their estimate still seemed a bit high in the first place.

Also, STX totally pulled some shit with that 10% Valerian drop :sparta:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Interesting point at WOKJ. Last year, Canada had a holiday on August 1st. This year it's August 7th. Might explain the huge difference in drops for this Sunday versus the same Sunday a year ago. Hopefully the Sunday drops next weekend look much better than we saw this past weekend. 

http://www.statutoryholidays.com/civic-holiday.php

Edited by redfirebird2008