That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

The thing with the indies in the market right now (Wind River, Good Time, Ingrid) is that they need to expand NOW and not do slow rollouts. Deadline said Weinstein is taking Wind River as slow as they can, but that's not going to work out once September 8 hits. There's already enough interest to do better than the holdovers at theaters, and WOM can continue into September. If they launch past Labor Day, they'll get overshadowed and be out quickly. A24 and Neon are putting their two wide next week (TC remains unknown), so Weinstein needs to follow.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They have tickets up for All Saints, so there's one movie :lol: Both Emoji and Apes had several showings yesterday without any seats sold, so both are prime candidates to go, especially Emoji because Leap! is out next week (or is it?). THB, Annabelle, and LL were the three main sellers last night here; everything else was low-teens or less I think. I just have to hope both AMC and the studios play it smart because some indies need to expand here.

I mean I would rather play an indie than keep films on screens that I know for a fact aren't selling. I don't know if a particular indie film is going to sell or not unless I play it and based on how awful things have been this is the right time to expand and let films that wouldn't otherwise get screens, get screens. 

I mean at my theater there were several showings that were either empty or had like two people in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Can we please stop making EVERYTHING about color and gender? Rihanna is one of the most talentless popstars. She doesn't write (relies on massive writing camps), doesn't play an instrument, doesn't dance, has zero stage presence, can barely sing...despite all that she's massively successful. Hardly a victim of color or gender. 

Her lacking talent is strictly your opinion. And I'll stop bringing up race when you stop blaming her for white dude's failures.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean I would rather play an indie than keep films on screens that I know for a fact aren't selling. I don't know if a particular indie film is going to sell or not unless I play it and based on how awful things have been this is the right time to expand and let films that wouldn't otherwise get screens, get screens. 

I mean at my theater there were several showings that were either empty or had like two people in it. 

Exactly. The chains would be stupid not to book them at their midsize theaters

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Her lacking talent is strictly your opinion. And I'll stop bringing up race when you stop blaming her for white dude's failures.

Really, the blame should go to Besson for sticking to Valerians terrible release date and more importantly, whoever decided to make Bad Harry Osborn and the Dancing Queen from Suicide Squad the leads.

Edited by Brainbug

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The thing with the indies in the market right now (Wind River, Good Time, Ingrid) is that they need to expand NOW and not do slow rollouts. Deadline said Weinstein is taking Wind River as slow as they can, but that's not going to work out once September 8 hits. There's already enough interest to do better than the holdovers at theaters, and WOM can continue into September. If they launch past Labor Day, they'll get overshadowed and be out quickly. A24 and Neon are putting their two wide next week (TC remains unknown), so Weinstein needs to follow.

I think they should go wide with it Labor Day as well. There seems to be enough interest. But Weinstein hasn't been the smartest lately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Really, the blame should go to Besson for sticking to Valerians terrible release date and more importantly, whoever decided to make Bad Harry Osborn and the Dancing Queen from Suicide Squad the leads.

Okay but can we talk about the budget on that thing. $209M is a budget saved for films in the DCEU, MCU, Star Wars etc. Films that have a large built in fanbase that you know will come out to watch the movies. 

I mean for what it's worth, Valerian did fine its OW. It just collapsed afterwards. But like its not a property a lot of people know about. A $17M OW number is pretty respectable for a typical film. But when you consider that astronomical budget.....youre just setting up your film to fail. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nova said:

Okay but can we talk about the budget on that thing. $209M is a budget saved for films in the DCEU, MCU, Star Wars etc. Films that have a large built in fanbase that you know will come out to watch the movies. 

I mean for what it's worth, Valerian did fine its OW. It just collapsed afterwards. But like its not a property a lot of people know about. A $17M OW number is pretty respectable for a typical film. But when you consider that astronomical budget.....youre just setting up your film to fail. 

That is certainly true.

Animation has sucked this summer, the totals of Underpants, Cars 3, DM3, Emoji, Nut Job 2, and likely Leap ($627M = $72M + $155M + $255M + $85M + $35M + $25M) will be less than the total of Minions and Inside Out ($692M = $336M + $356M)  in 2015, and less than the total of Dory and Pets combined in 2016 ($854M = $368M + $486M) (if you throw in IA5, Kubo, and Dragon it's $1.042B) 

• Like 1

dunkirk is almost certain to pass interstellar's dom number.....but I doubt oscar buzz will further drive people into watching dunkirk.

Using inception, that released in July too, being and oscar contender at the same time, didn't generate a single cent from oscar season in theater. Same may happen to dunkirk as it's already drop from theater.

Speaking of oscar, dunkirk oscar buzz instantly drop after its opening, even WW has more oscar buzz,I don't think there is any backlash but WB seem try to tame its oscar buzz to avoid any potential backlash against dunkirk. They would "reserve" the oscar buzz to later so that it keep fresh memories in oscar season I supposed 

The air scenes in Dunkirk are among the greatest he's ever done, but everything else is isn't. Not even close. A good film that demonstrates how visuals can play a huge role in making a film good. But...Interstellar still remains his greatest by far.