That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I was trying to find the gif of the moment after this when he experiences some heartburn but no dice :sadben:

Same. So I settled for this one. Scratching his nose while eating will do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I was trying to find the gif of the moment after this when he experiences some heartburn but no dice :sadben:

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Same. So I settled for this one. Scratching his nose while eating will do. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lestranger said:

Greatest Heist film... Heat.

Logan Lucky is a big loss. It's too bad really. Soderbergh tried to do something different, and it failed miserably. They held most marketing until final 3 weeks and then focused on more rural markets. Interesting ideas, but I really think the movie itself didnt connect with audiences. On paper it looked great, but the trailers seemed a little flaccid. The release date was terrible. But I think all the forces working against Logan would be mute if the film had a good hook to it that grabbed a mass audience. The only hook I saw was Daniel Craig's accent.

You are right. A good hook is everything. A movie can be a total dud but if previews have a great hook the movie becomes critics proof and it will open. It's harder to build buzz when barely anyone has seen the movie to spread the word. It isn't impossible but it's tough. And that on top of LL's terrible release date and botched marketing. As someone said somewhere, Tulip Fever got more advertising than LL. 

Also, RIP Tomato Law. It's truly dead now. Well, it was never really alive but faith is build on belief not evidence. Now there's evidence that Tomato Law is eaten by maggots. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Also, RIP Tomato Law. It's truly dead now. Well, it was never really alive but faith is build on belief not evidence. Now there's evidence that Tomato Law is eaten by maggots. 

That which never existed, can never die...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard was made by the producers of the Has Fallen franchise and The Expendables franchises, both produced on reasonable budgets and made decent money WW. If THB can do $150-160m WW which might be doable then I wouldn't be surprised if they do a sequel

RR and SLJ are popular internationally as well. So overseas wouldn't be bad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I was consistently rolling my eyes at all the articles about Logan Lucky being advertised for 'rural America' and that it could over-perform there.  I was thinking, well what about Hitman's Bodyguard.  That seems like it is universally appealing to basically 100% of America, and along with Dunkirk and Megan Leavey, that is alot of competition against Logan Lucky.  Logan Lucky is a heist/caper film.  Why do they always make these?  Take good directors, good production team, great cast, and make a movie about people stealing stuff?  Is this really what people do?  they get together and make a plan for a heist!  There are sooo many movies that do this, and they have been showing for so many decades.  And for some reason, the masses pay to see them.  I never understood this.  I do not hate the genre, one of my favorite movies is a heist film, i just question the whole process.

INCEPTION

THE TOWN, ARGO, INCEPTION are my favorite heist/caper films in recent times. Haven't watched BD.

btw, not to piss on Ocean's, I know folks love it and I also like it. But feel it's a bit over-rated. I thought ITALIAN JOB > O11.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I was consistently rolling my eyes at all the articles about Logan Lucky being advertised for 'rural America' and that it could over-perform there.  I was thinking, well what about Hitman's Bodyguard.  That seems like it is universally appealing to basically 100% of America, and along with Dunkirk and Megan Leavey, that is alot of competition against Logan Lucky.  Logan Lucky is a heist/caper film.  Why do they always make these?  Take good directors, good production team, great cast, and make a movie about people stealing stuff?  Is this really what people do?  they get together and make a plan for a heist!  There are sooo many movies that do this, and they have been showing for so many decades.  And for some reason, the masses pay to see them.  I never understood this.  I do not hate the genre, one of my favorite movies is a heist film, i just question the whole process.

There is a couple of reason why that team organising an heist is so popular over time

1) Nice montages (of planning the execution with an voice over explanation, those are nice easy to be fun moment in your movies)

2) Audience tend to like watching professional good at what they do doing what they are good at, in a procedural way from spotlight to the classic heist (to discovery channel show)

3) Assemble diverse characters friendly from those Mission Impossible movies to the Ocean eleven they are easy to make good use of archetype fun characters, that will require low enough background/screentime to work.

4) Those movie match the 3 act structure (preparation-execution (twist) -repercussion or the twist at the end

5) Popular genre with audience, obviously a big reason

So many great classic, The killing, The sting, Wild bunch, some variation with the Bonnie and clyde/reservoir dogs/Drive

Recently Hell or High water, Baby Driver, Ocean eleven, The Town, Inside Man, Snatch/Lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Logan Lucky has a very unorthodox marketing campaign. 

In a Los Angeles Times article dated Aug. 17, 2017, the marketing strategy was not to have a giant opening and the article suggested that most of the campaign hasn't kicked in yet.

The promotion of this film is atypical.

Executives hope “Lucky Logan” will pick up steam as the advertising campaign picks up. The film also has a chance to draw moviegoers in the days following opening weekend because of strong reviews and a dearth of competition from other movies during a slow August at the multiplex.

“We're looking at it based on our first 10 days,” Fellman said. “We have a movie people enjoy, and we didn't spend at a level to create some giant opening.”

Dan Fellman is an Executive Producer of Logan Lucky

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

2) Audience tend to like watching professional good at what they do doing what they are good at, in a procedural way from spotlight to the classic heist (to discovery channel show)

I gave up on the Discovery Channel years ago.  Same with Science Channel.