That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Ryan Reynolds takes over the box office... again. Tbf, this is his first lead role after Deadpool and he is playing a similar type of character. It was a good career decision to do this.

I guess you forgot about Life, which bombed. Reynolds isn't consistent at all.

3 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Mine has it only in a Dolby theater. So far

11:00am - 28 ($13.29 tickets)

1:30pm - 44 ($19.09 tickets)

4:15pm - 67 ($20.59 tickets here and onwards)

7:00pm - 110 so far 

9:35pm - 45 so far

*$5783.06 so far, very likely to end >$8000

7pm and 935pm showing will  likely come close to selling out.  Glancing at tomorrow: all showings are filling up

7pm - 110 to 168/262 at start (I accidentally said this theater was 163 seats previously but it is 262)

9:45pm*- 45 to 92 currently, will update further

*Sorry said 935 before

Of note since this theater only has the one screen with  $20.59 seats I am seeing good spillover into other local theaters with regular seats (haven't tallied numbers, just observation)

I was consistently rolling my eyes at all the articles about Logan Lucky being advertised for 'rural America' and that it could over-perform there.  I was thinking, well what about Hitman's Bodyguard.  That seems like it is universally appealing to basically 100% of America, and along with Dunkirk and Megan Leavey, that is alot of competition against Logan Lucky.  Logan Lucky is a heist/caper film.  Why do they always make these?  Take good directors, good production team, great cast, and make a movie about people stealing stuff?  Is this really what people do?  they get together and make a plan for a heist!  There are sooo many movies that do this, and they have been showing for so many decades.  And for some reason, the masses pay to see them.  I never understood this.  I do not hate the genre, one of my favorite movies is a heist film, i just question the whole process.

23 minutes ago, babz06 said:

He dies 20 minutes into that, and he was third billed so it wasn't a lead role either.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Ryan Reynolds has a supporting role in Life. I enjoyed the heck out of that movie. He was in it for maybe the first half hour. Unfair to judge it as his movie. It was more of a Jake Gyllenhaal movie.

I remember last year I was all over reporting reserved seating reports for something like 600 showtimes.  From the looks of it, War Dogs was bound to hit #1 over Suicide Squad with a Friday PTA of at least 2,000 (thursday previews removed).  Kubo and the Two Strings also was HOT all night and was going to be at the top of expectations.  Then Asgard reported.  War Dogs had a Friday PTA of $1,320 (Thurs previews removed).  Kubo had a PTA of $1,088.  Moral of the story is I am not going near another epic reserved seating report this year!!!  Counting hundreds and hundreds of sold seats for War Dogs!  Anyways, if Hitman's Bodyguard gets $2000 PTA today, its full Friday number with previews would be 8.4

24 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I was consistently rolling my eyes at all the articles about Logan Lucky being advertised for 'rural America' and that it could over-perform there.  I was thinking, well what about Hitman's Bodyguard.  That seems like it is universally appealing to basically 100% of America, and along with Dunkirk and Megan Leavey, that is alot of competition against Logan Lucky.  Logan Lucky is a heist/caper film.  Why do they always make these?  Take good directors, good production team, great cast, and make a movie about people stealing stuff?  Is this really what people do?  they get together and make a plan for a heist!  There are sooo many movies that do this, and they have been showing for so many decades.  And for some reason, the masses pay to see them.  I never understood this.  I do not hate the genre, one of my favorite movies is a heist film, i just question the whole process.

Huh? What? Who? Where? Heist movies when done right are guaranteed smart fun, what exactly is the mystery here? And what do Megan Leavey and Dunkirk (a month-old release with a completely different genre and tone) have to do with this?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nova said:

From The NY Times article: 

Mr. Soderbergh noted that the box office bar for success is lower under this setup. With nearly everything prepaid, and no hefty distributor fees coming off the top, even a modest $15 million opening would be a win.

When reading an article, its important to recognise what's a quote and what's not a quote.

This is not a Soderbergh quote, the writer used an arbitrary figure ($15 million) to make the point about the low bar.

Soderbergh has never been quoted saying it needs $15m OW. A quote must be in quotation marks. If there is no quotation marks, then it's not a quote. This is writing 101.

A writer is not going to put his neck on the line by putting in quotation marks something another person never said.

2 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

A high teens to low $20 million start isn't bad. Considering a modest budget, late-summer legs, and Ryan Reynolds outside of Deadpool is poison. Also a buddy comedy is tough to be sucessful as most outside of franchises, will smith, jump street, and comedians with known stars are very tough. So a $50-$60 million stateside total with late-summer legs will be very solid for a film of its kind and profitable for Lionsgate/Summit. 

Logan Lucky flopping, the film looked generic on tv spots. Steven Sorderbergh is a hit-and-miss director as well. But when it hits home video at the end of the year, maybe it gets an audience. 

Yeah, but HB has a major studio behind it and spent 4 times more on promotion.

LL is a experimental self distribution with no big money behind it.

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Huh? What? Who? Where? Heist movies when done right are guaranteed smart fun, what exactly is the mystery here? And what do Megan Leavey and Dunkirk (a month-old release with a completely different genre and tone) have to do with this?

because they appeal directly to rural America like what the ads are saying for Logan Lucky.  I do not see what is so appealing with heist movies.  It seems so unrelatable.  Always planning for that heist!!!

50 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Logan Lucky is a heist/caper film.  Why do they always make these?  Take good directors, good production team, great cast, and make a movie about people stealing stuff?  Is this really what people do?  they get together and make a plan for a heist!  There are sooo many movies that do this, and they have been showing for so many decades.  And for some reason, the masses pay to see them.  I never understood this.  I do not hate the genre, one of my favorite movies is a heist film, i just question the whole process.

1462242853359.gif

25 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

because they appeal directly to rural America like what the ads are saying for Logan Lucky.  I do not see what is so appealing with heist movies.  It seems so unrelatable.  Always planning for that heist!!!

Heist movies are (objectively) the best. I'm not sure what your point here is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard is awesome. Don't listen to the reviews. It had one of the best scenes I have ever seen in a film. 

i totally agree. Just got out of my second screening and I loved it :)