That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, I know Tatum is the star but there were several comments about how interesting Craig looked in the role and how he was stealing the show, that's why I mentioned him. 

Feels like you jumped on my ending comment because you are a Craig fan and don't want to address the meat of my post about the film itself. Baby Driver succeeding to the degree it did was a rare thing. These really quirky type of films usually don't do that well. It sucks that they don't but they don't.

Well Craig certainly looked great and it was a role where he was pushing himself a bit, but I thought just about everyone in the cast looked great too, and based off what I've heard there isn't a real weak-link in the cast so to say. 

I like Craig as an actor but I wouldn't call myself a fan, I was just pointing that out. I understand that Baby Driver did well, but that had a much bigger marketing campaign and a better hook, that and the WOM was clearly very good too. In fact I expected Lucky Logan to do "fair" business at best. It looked like a niche film.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well Craig certainly looked great and it was a role where he was pushing himself a bit, but I thought just about everyone in the cast looked great too, and based off what I've heard there isn't a real weak-link in the cast so to say. 

I like Craig as an actor but I wouldn't call myself a fan, I was just pointing that out. I understand that Baby Driver did well, but that had a much bigger marketing campaign and a better hook, that and the WOM was clearly very good too. In fact I expected Lucky Logan to do "fair" business at best. It looked like a niche film.

$7-8m OW from what is a small distributor is okay, Bleecker Street aren't exactly TWC or Lionsgate.

A high teens to low $20 million start isn't bad. Considering a modest budget, late-summer legs, and Ryan Reynolds outside of Deadpool is poison. Also a buddy comedy is tough to be sucessful as most outside of franchises, will smith, jump street, and comedians with known stars are very tough. So a $50-$60 million stateside total with late-summer legs will be very solid for a film of its kind and profitable for Lionsgate/Summit. 

Logan Lucky flopping, the film looked generic on tv spots. Steven Sorderbergh is a hit-and-miss director as well. But when it hits home video at the end of the year, maybe it gets an audience. 

25 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The two sentences are entirely separate. The first sentence states Soderberg's (vaguely general) opinion. The second sentence is the journalist's opinion. 

If this is the case then my mistake. But I do want to point out that I'm not the only who assumed that it was Soderbergh who had told the writer of the "$15M" mark. I originally saw it in a box office article from Variety which is how I knew about it: The low end of tracking has it at $5 million, and the higher pegs it at $12 million. Either way, that’s lower than the $15 million bar Soderbergh set in a New York Times feature that addressed the film’s unusual financing and distribution model, that aimed to give the director more creative control and make the project less of a financial gamble. 

ETA: I added the Variety piece just to show that I'm not the only one who had that train of thought when I read that paragraph in NYT :lol: 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I haven't seen the film, but it seemed to me from the trailer that the Craig seemed to be copying the voice and mannerisms of T-bag from the Prison Break TV show. The film also features a prison break so....

9 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

A high teens to low $20 million start isn't bad. Considering a modest budget, late-summer legs, and Ryan Reynolds outside of Deadpool is poison. Also a buddy comedy is tough to be sucessful as most outside of franchises, will smith, jump street, and comedians with known stars are very tough. So a $50-$60 million stateside total with late-summer legs will be very solid for a film of its kind and profitable for Lionsgate/Summit. 

Logan Lucky flopping, the film looked generic on tv spots. Steven Sorderbergh is a hit-and-miss director as well. But when it hits home video at the end of the year, maybe it gets an audience. 

The Hitman's Bodyguard was made by the producers of the Has Fallen franchise and The Expendables franchises, both produced on reasonable budgets and made decent money WW. If THB can do $150-160m WW which might be doable then I wouldn't be surprised if they do a sequel

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nova said:

If this is the case then my mistake. But I do want to point out that I'm not the only who assumed that it was Soderbergh who had told the writer of the "$15M" mark. I originally saw it in a box office article from Variety which is how I knew about it: The low end of tracking has it at $5 million, and the higher pegs it at $12 million. Either way, that’s lower than the $15 million bar Soderbergh set in a New York Times feature that addressed the film’s unusual financing and distribution model, that aimed to give the director more creative control and make the project less of a financial gamble. 

ETA: I added the Variety piece just to show that I'm not the only one who had that train of thought when I read that paragraph in NYT :lol: 

From my (very limited) experience, with these sorts of interviews people tend to be either general or just use numbers in an extremely broad sense (to indicate "big budget" or "tiny budget", that sort of thing), and then the entertainment media (or fan-driven sites) tend to take these as gospel when in fact it's just nothing remotely close to that sort of specificity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

We dont agree on much but this i give u a high five. The Beguiled was SHIT.

LOL What was your description of the plot again? :rofl:

Remember what you said (that I thought should be on the posters)???

1 hour ago, That Floating Guy said:

Hitman's Bodyguard is probably going to be the first to threepeat at #1 since Fate of the Furious, lmao

All the wide openers in the next two weeks may not do more than Hitman's Bodyguard this weekend combined.

Ryan Reynolds takes over the box office... again. Tbf, this is his first lead role after Deadpool and he is playing a similar type of character. It was a good career decision to do this.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

$7-8m OW from what is a small distributor is okay, Bleecker Street aren't exactly TWC or Lionsgate.

Yeah that too. I think the film's doing okay. I actually read an interview Sodenbergh where he mentioned that how Lucky Logan was financing was basically a new film business model of sorts, and , and a lot of its success depending on well it did essentially. 

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I haven't seen the film, but it seemed to me from the trailer that the Craig seemed to be copying the voice and mannerisms of T-bag from the Prison Break TV show. The film also features a prison break so....

He's clearly playing a stereotypical crazy southern. Honestly I give em a lot of props for branching out, and doing something different. 

Edited by Fancyarcher