That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Supposedly, Moviepass is planning to monetize (more) through the data business. This $10/month subscription essentially seems like a way to build their customer base and get their name out there even more than it is (which isn't much beyond the film community, so far).

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense. Something like this should take off. I knew about moviepass but I don't have one. A friend of mine posted about it on social media which is how I found out about this specific subscription. 

I do wonder though if this ends up working, how it would affect the BO for indies and even films that might be awful....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Bodyguard Spoof poster was sooooo good lol 

But yea the marketing for it was all over the place. Like they had the honest guys voice one of their trailers but then the poster (Orange one) just doesn't capture that tone or the tone of the first trailer 

The UK marketing which was handled by Lionsgate UK went for the comedy angle. It's a bit weird how Lionsgate US went for the action angle.

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Supposedly, Moviepass is planning to monetize (more) through the data business. This $10/month subscription essentially seems like a way to build their customer base and get their name out there even more than it is (which isn't much beyond the film community, so far).

Subscription cinema isn't even a new thing. The top two UK chains have it and so it's weird that no US cinemas has attempted it. 

• Like 1

I never subscribed to MoviePass before because of how cheap tickets are at my AMC. Before noon, tickets are only $4.48, and before 4PM they're $7.27. After 4, it goes up to slightly under $9 or $10 depending if its Friday/Saturday or not. I have only seen one movie there this year past 4 PM, and MoviePass was previously $45 for my area. I would've had to seen 11 movies in the morning, 7 in the early afternoon, or 5/7 at night. Because MoviePass doesn't let you book until the day of, it would've screwed me out of some movies on OW. At least now I only need to see 2-3 to get my money's worth. 

4 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I just got Moviepass yesterday.  Should save a lot of money since its monthly subscription costs less than your average trip to the #cinema

I didn't even know it rolled out. Time to sign up! 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The top two UK chains have it and so it's weird that no US cinemas has attempted it. 

Because they can charge $14-20 a ticket and get a way with it. 

AMC Stubs is really good though. It costs me $15 a year for the premiere but I go to the movies so often that I save hundreds of dollars plus get free screenings 

• Like 3

@DAR knows this, Marcus Cinemas has some dope deals. $5 Tuesdays, $5 Student Thursdays, $25 Sunday Passport (a pack of 5 movies for 5 Sundays regardless of format with 20% off the concessions with an extra two for December), and a $5 Early Bird Special at some locations.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 4

I feel like theaters have to start offering subscription plans or make going to the theaters cheaper IF Moviepass fails. 

I mean sure the "quality" of films might be down but like there were plenty of lower "quality" films just ten-fifteen years ago that did really well at the BO, that would never ever survive the way things are today. 

My local AMC used to charge about $9 a ticket and now with tax it's $15. And mind you I don't live in this huge city or anything. If a family of four wants to go to the movies, it's a $100 trip. If a couple wants to go it's a $50 trip. People don't have that kind of money to spend on films especially films that they maybe unsure about seeing. 

A subscription plan will get butts into theaters that are otherwise empty. And then  when you include concessions....theaters win. 

Im just not sure if MoviePass specifically will succeed but I know that this is the way theater chains will have to venture towards, if they want folks coming to theaters on a weekend like this. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Shawn, do you know if this is coming to Canada as well?  I'm pretty sure if it does, I will be cut off because I would just live at the theatre.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I feel like theaters have to start offering subscription plans or make going to the theaters cheaper IF Moviepass fails. 

I mean sure the "quality" of films might be down but like there were plenty of lower "quality" films just ten-fifteen years ago that did really well at the BO, that would never ever survive the way things are today. 

My local AMC used to charge about $9 a ticket and now with tax it's $15. And mind you I don't live in this huge city or anything. If a family of four wants to go to the movies, it's a $100 trip. If a couple wants to go it's a $50 trip. People don't have that kind of money to spend on films especially films that they maybe unsure about seeing. 

A subscription plan will get butts into theaters that are otherwise empty. And then  when you include concessions....theaters win. 

Im just not sure if MoviePass specifically will succeed but I know that this is the way theater chains will have to venture towards, if they want folks coming to theaters on a weekend like this. 

If this becomes the norm, expect studios to fight back with instant releases after a period of time for their films. I don't think it's the studios or the movie theaters fault, it's just how things are right now. I mean, I know a friend that just discovered a thing that works like Popcorn Time but ad free and these sites go big in countries like here in Brazil. They didn't watch GotG, Vol. 2, WW, SM:H or any other film this year in theaters, they are Netflix subscribers but they want the big releases to watch at home NOW. Do I think they are right? NO. But that's how things operate now. Studios and theaters will have to adapt to the times. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

How do you guys think this would work? Like how would Movie pass not lose money? Also does anyone know when you can officially sign up for it? 

http://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-lets-you-go-to-all-the-movies-you-want-for-just-10-a-month-2017-8?utm_content=buffer25e0e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-entertainment

I imagine they will loose a lot of money (the more popular they get the more they will loose), the plan is probably to survive long enough to become big enough and to have an user base now use to pay little to see movies that will not go back to pay 12-14$ for just one ticket, and they will be able then to force theater chain to offer them discount bulk theatre tickets price (and they will pressure studio into accepting it, lowering the value of the theatrical and every window that come after, who would pay a month of theatrical movie, possibly 10 movies in theater to buy just one dvd and so on, customer will require lower price for everything else like 4-5$ for owning a movie on bluray if watching it in theatre is about 3$ for them)

There is a reason theater chain are trying to shut it down even thought they would win big in the very short term, they see the consequence of this middle term.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

If this becomes the norm, expect studios to fight back with instant releases after a period of time for their films. I don't think it's the studios or the movie theaters fault, it's just how things are right now. I mean, I know a friend that just discovered a thing that works like Popcorn Time but ad free and these sites go big in countries like here in Brazil. They didn't watch GotG, Vol. 2, WW, SM:H or any other film this year in theaters, they are Netflix subscribers but they want the big releases to watch at home NOW. Do I think they are right? NO. But that's how things operate now. Studios and theaters will have to adapt to the times. Unfortunately. 

This business model is actually supposed to help studios and theaters though. It costs $10 a month and you go to the theater to watch the film. Moviepass pays for the full ticket price so theaters and studios aren't actually losing money with it. Theaters then get people who are paying $10 a month to come to their theater and buy concessions. A studio can release a film that otherwise would flop big time and make somewhat decent money from it 

The problem with it is that it needs to get enough subscribers so Moviepass can cover the costs of tickets. 

Now if youre talking about video video on demand? I'd be pissed if that happens. I like to watch Netflix shows at home and watch movies in the theater. Which is why I'm hoping MoviePass or something like it works because I don't want theaters going out of business which I know will be the case if the VOD becomes popular. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

This business model is actually supposed to help studios and theaters though. It costs $10 a month and you go to the theater to watch the film. Moviepass pays for the full ticket price so theaters and studios aren't actually losing money with it. Theaters then get people who are paying $10 a month to come to their theater and buy concessions. A studio can release a film that otherwise would flop big time and make somewhat decent money from it 

The problem with it is that it needs to get enough subscribers so Moviepass can cover the costs of tickets. 

Now if youre talking about video video on demand? I'd be pissed if that happens. I like to watch Netflix shows at home and watch movies in the theater. Which is why I'm hoping MoviePass or something like it works 

I don't like the idea any bit less than you do, homie. But trust me, there's one hell of a bunch people that are like that. Video on demand wouldn't work either, they need something to fightback piracy that is affordable, and I don't have a good idea how that would work. I'm talking about HD releases, like GotG Vol. 2. There's a whole chunk of the market that is taken away by people that wait for HD releases to download/stream at home. It sucks. It truly sucks. But that's a reality, one that I feel studios won't be able to ignore for much longer. 

• Thanks 1

What the market needs to pay attention to: 

There are people that are like us, that will go to watch movies in movie theaters because that's their favorite medium, then it will go out of their way to buy these films to watch again at home. There are people that will wait until it's avaliable on streaming services like Netflix, but then there are people that WON'T pay for VOD but will happily download the thing as soon as it's avaliable in HD. Some kind of "premium" Netflix needs to happen for them to be able to monetize on them. 

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

This business model is actually supposed to help studios and theaters though. It costs $10 a month and you go to the theater to watch the film. Moviepass pays for the full ticket price so theaters and studios aren't actually losing money with it.

It is obviously an unsustainable model, that will hurt studio/theater chain a lot, it devalue all the catalogue, theatrical windows and all that follow.

Moviepass will not sustain that deal and will ask for a bulk price, there is a reason theater chain are trying to block that system, they are not stupid if they would think movie pass would buy 90$ of tickets for 10$ for decades they would love it, they just know that it make no sense. (And from a studio point of view it destroy all the following windows, could still be a nice deal if it would be a realistic one but it is not). It would be much cheaper for the industry to just have everyone paying 10$ a month on netflix and saving all the cost....

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I didn't even know it rolled out. Time to sign up! 

That's b/c you don't read my posts:)...

But seriously, Moviepass seems like a better "fill up the seats" than what Dealflicks is doing b/c it has more theaters in their system and won't actually sell you the ticket until you are in range of the theater...so you are quite literally going to be a last minute ticket sale, not a presale...

Since it's annoying as sin to have to wait until you are at the theater to buy the ticket, it should not really affect blockbuster movies until near the mid-to-end point of their runs and it should probably not help crappy movies, since most people don't feel like the time waste.  The movies it should help greatly are all those "good" movies that folks say "rent/Netflix", b/c people will want to get their money's worth out of the subscription, at least in the short term.  

I don't know if it will or won't affect family movies yet...I mean, yes, Nut Job and Emoji are probably gonna bump...as will Leap b/c anything to sell them any tickets will get them higher...but I don't know if families will get 4-5 passes per household per month, b/c even at $10/month that gets pricey...I have seen families on other boards decide to get adult tickets and they are planning to just buy kid tickets OOP as they go, so even families movies may see a bump...

I'm sure AMC and Fandango felt the pressure after this release, since we got the $5 all AMC all Tuesday deal and the Fandango BOGO for this weekend within days of Moviepass's price reduction.  I think Moviepass felt like they were at a crossroads...apparently, they had 20K subscribers at wildly different rates...and that number was not conducive to monetize for anything except the subscription base.  Dropping the price and upping the goal to 100K subscribers by year's end (and I think they are gonna blow past way that number - they may have hit it by this weekend if the internet social media is any indication of actual sign ups) gives them both a higher "forget" subscription base like Netflix and a higher one to make data actually valuable...it may be what the stock world wanted, since they are planning to IPO in 2018...either you get bigger, or you fade away, and I guess they picked trying to get bigger...

• Like 2