grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Posting this here because this thread has the most traffic at the moment: My mom and I were just debating whether daytime audiences or nighttime audiences are worse at movies because of my experience today with annoying ass seniors. In your experiences, what time of the day has worse audience members?

Nighttime crowds probably tend to be a group of people that actually care about the movie.  Daytime audiences just seem to go to movies if they have nothing else to do and want to kill time, and probably tend to be noisier.  Sometimes though, louder crowds can be fun, like when I saw The Fate of the Furious (one of my favorite theater experiences of the year so far) and everyone was cheering a shit ton.  Or Lights Out, which had some great reactions from the crowd.

• Like 1

Another recent example of people talking/not talking: I saw THB at 3:00 on Sunday OW with an audience split about 50/50 between seniors and families/young adults, and that audience was generally respectful. The two old ladies next to me were yabbering during the trailers and opening credits of the film but quieted down after that. 

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Seniors have more chance to be annoying and to talk during the movie, but they peak much lower in how annoying they get.

I can honestly say that I have never encountered teens/young adults talking at showings; all the annoying people are almost always seniors (and that one family from June kek). Granted, I HAVE encountered them on their phones during films but never talking. There's really only two "incidents" of talking I can remember. Back in April there was an annoying group of teens behind me at F8 that became quiet once the film started (my dad even noted them when we got to the car :lol: ), and last May there was a young woman behind me in CW that made comments every now and then; however, she gets a pass because she was going "NOOOOOOOOO!" during the Steve/Sharon kiss :rofl: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

Nighttime crowds probably tend to be a group of people that actually care about the movie.  Daytime audiences just seem to go to movies if they have nothing else to do and want to kill time, and probably tend to be noisier.  Sometimes though, louder crowds can be fun, like when I saw The Fate of the Furious (one of my favorite theater experiences of the year so far) and everyone was cheering a shit ton.  Or Lights Out, which had some great reactions from the crowd.

Oh yeah, my audience in F8 was really fun. There was this woman that laughed and squealed at EVERY joke by Tyrese :rofl: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

My mom thinks that teens try to be annoying and one-up each other at nighttime showings, yet I feel the opposite. In fact, I wanted to see Atomic Blonde on preview night solely to avoid the old people. I didn't go on Thursday night, but the audience of seniors (save for me) was mostly fine the next day. They were a bit noisy during the action and some plot points, but for a movie like AB, it's somewhat fine. It's definitely not like my experience at Wind River where the audience was laughing and talking at inappropriate moments.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Posting this here because this thread has the most traffic at the moment: My mom and I were just debating whether daytime audiences or nighttime audiences are worse at movies because of my experience today with annoying ass seniors. In your experiences, what time of the day has worse audience members?

Daytime. At least in my area, the crowds are smaller during the day, meaning there's less annoying people. The only times I do nighttime shows are when I'm scheduling something with my parents or if it's a kids movie (daytime shows have more kids, and kids in general in movie theaters are the worst, so I try to go to later showings).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

That's still twice as much as I would've expected for Tulip Fever so congrats on clearing the lowest bar possible, I guess.

In my showing of Atomic Blonde there was an old married couple who heroically sat through about 3/4 of it, so all the early action, the lesbian sex scene, etc., only to finally leave about halfway through the stairwell fight. I remain fascinated by how they ended up there and what was going through their heads as they were watching it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

In my showing of Atomic Blonde there was an old married couple who heroically sat through about 3/4 of it, so all the early action, the lesbian sex scene, etc., only to finally leave about halfway through the stairwell fight. I remain fascinated by how they ended up there and what was going through their heads as they were watching it. 

Something similar happened to the old guy sitting next to me. He left about 3 minutes before the stairwell fight began and never returned. Even left his water bottle too!

Edited by WrathOfHan

That old couple has a fear of... stairs?
I mean, falling down some stairs could totally kill old people and all that.

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Tulip Fever is 6% on RT.

Dane DeHaan needs to retire already. 

Definitely not lucky, the majority of is last 9 releases did not do 1 million at the box office and the only 2 non-rotten one didn't play in theater in the domestic market. Some had good element (like a cure for wellness cinematography, Valerian, etc...). When someone say actor X is not a draw, need to remember that it is implying not more of a draw than Dane Dehaan.

RATING TITLE CREDIT BOX OFFICE YEAR 
 10% Tulip Fever
  • Jan Van Loos
 51% Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
  • Valerian
$39.7M 2017
 42% A Cure For Wellness
  • Lockhart
$8.2M 2017
 46% Knight of Cups
  • Paul
$0.4M 2016