CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

"It's Stand By Me with clowns"

- Me to other parents

It's more Stand by Me with a dash of The Goonies mixed with Nightmare on Elm Street

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly i'd show IT to kids. it's fine. whatever.

I think a 12-14 year old could handle it but anyone under that age no way. 

IT is still holding strong with 83.1% on movietickets.com. Given that horror films (especially this time of year) see their bulk audience at night, and Gitesh is probably the most conservative when it comes to providing early estimates, I think the estimates are going to float upwards from that $44M.

Also, my audience was eating out of the palm of this movie's hands. I wonder if this can get an A cinemascore, something I cannot recall for any horror film.

Re "Great WOM=Great Legs": That isn't always the case. Just look at CW last year: many of us expected it to beat AOU and have better legs than TWS with how great the reception was, but it turned out to be a very frontloaded film. You may shout that It is an "original" film and therefore won't have the downsides of being a franchise film. It is "original" like Fifty Shades or Twilight are: It's original because it's the first entry into a series, but It already has a massive fanbase from the book and miniseries. Now I'm not saying It will have the legs of Fifty Shades/CW/Twilight (though Twilight's legs might be a good range for It.... Hmm....), but there is precedent for films with great WOM having average or weak legs. If Gitesh's 44M Friday estimate holds, that's already a more frontloaded preview to OD ratio than any horror film this year. However, that is also bigger than any horror OW this year too! It will be totally fine if the film is a little frontloaded! Hell, it'll be profitable by Sunday evening! The whole "outstanding vs average legs" conversation has been brought up many times for this film.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Re "Great WOM=Great Legs": That isn't always the case. Just look at CW last year: many of us expected it to beat AOU and have better legs than TWS with how great the reception was, but it turned out to be a very frontloaded film. You may shout that It is an "original" film and therefore won't have the downsides of being a franchise film. It is "original" like Fifty Shades or Twilight are: It's original because it's the first entry into a series, but It already has a massive fanbase from the book and miniseries. Now I'm not saying It will have the legs of Fifty Shades/CW/Twilight (though Twilight's legs might be a good range for It.... Hmm....), but there is precedent for films with great WOM having average or weak legs. If Gitesh's 44M Friday estimate holds, that's already a more frontloaded preview to OD ratio than any horror film this year. However, that is also bigger than any horror OW this year too! It will be totally fine if the film is a little frontloaded! Hell, it'll be profitable by Sunday evening! The whole "outstanding vs average legs" conversation has been brought up many times for this film.

We know you just want this to have eh legs so mother! does better.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

On a lighter note, 9/11 only sold 5 tickets for the entire day here barring people show up to the 9:30 show :rofl: 

I thought you were trying to imply that IT is going to be frontloaded by saying that on 9/11 it sold only 5 tickets. 

I didnt realize that was the name of a movie 

:sparta:

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Re "Great WOM=Great Legs": That isn't always the case. Just look at CW last year: many of us expected it to beat AOU and have better legs than TWS with how great the reception was, but it turned out to be a very frontloaded film.

I think that the difference is that IT is pulling new audience, that didn't read the book or see the mini, while CW exhausted its built-in fanbase, so WOM simply didn't have any impact outside of people that were going to see it anyway. In short, others didn't care WOM or not. Much like how DOFP WOM also didn't reach beyond built-in-fanbase. Some franchises maxed out. They may pull in some fans who gave up with the return of a popular character (DOFP and Wolverine + old X and Magneto) but that's different from expanding fandom with those who didn't care previously. IT seems to be pulling in newbies. But we'll see, it's too early. 

Great Friday, fingers crossed it goes up!

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

I mean this is just massive. It breaks so many paradigms. One, September. September usually 2nd or 3rd worst month every year. Now you have a 90-100m opening weekend. IT could double the sept record, that is pure insanity. Two, horror. What the flying fuck. 100m is usually the mark of a huge horror breakout. IT is going to make that in 3 days probably. Horror has been growing through an amazing renaissance in America for the last few years. It Follows really sparked it in my mind. But I think you have two separate horror movements going on. The return to 1970s Naturalism (It Follows, The Witch, It Comes at Night, Raw (French I know). Then you have the mass appeal horror hits (Split, Get Out, IT). As a horror nerd, this has been a very exciting time. I wonder what the implications of IT's success will be. Are we gonna see more mid budget horror films in the 30-60 million get greenlighted?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not surprised, the movie looks like utter garbage 

It's supposed to be crap, so you're not far off. 

44 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Gotta admit, this is some really determination. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Re "Great WOM=Great Legs": That isn't always the case. Just look at CW last year: many of us expected it to beat AOU and have better legs than TWS with how great the reception was, but it turned out to be a very frontloaded film.

Then it means it did not have the great reception as you thought it did. The reception from the general audience isn't necessarily in line with from critics or online reactions.

Edited by vc2002