WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Wonder Woman isn't an original movie.  It's a superhero movie based on a very well known character and connects with three other movies.

I didn't say original...I said "premier" - I think that's always a better way to think of the "newness" projects bring to the table.  Anytime you are doing a "first to the screen" event, you will have a newness that will attract your audience that a sequel, retread, or remake won't have...and then, you don't get into discussions like "well, that was a short story" or "that was a tv miniseries" or "that was based on that song from 1972" or "that was in the 1964 comic arc," etc:)...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Would it get a PG today? On the Blu Ray you can very clearly see the girls crotch as she's swimming in the water.

No, Jaws was made in a different time, before PG-13 existed. The original Planet of The Apes was also rated G, but as the later films prove, it wouldn't have been rated that today. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Is anybody else noticing the minimal marketing for Ninjago. Or is it just me? Maybe WB is planning on pulling a Kong and doing a big campaign this week.

When I was staying at a hotel last week, short versions of the Ninjago trailer played literally every commercial break on Comedy Central... which struck me as an odd place to be heavily marketing it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Dat Chuck Heston aaaaaaaaasssss!

For general audiences!!!

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s already on movie channels and streaming services over here too.

Clearly we Americans are the only ones who will get the film, considering it's somehow getting a wide 2000+ theater count here, despite the fact that everyone I trust who has seen it, says it's a real stinker. YAY?

Edited by Fancyarcher

Pro.BO projections based on Friday.

- They are still a bit conservative on IT. Even their weekend forecast had it at 50m.

- THB could do 80m dom

- SMH over SM3 can't be ruled out.

- A:C at 99.5. Should go over Conjuring 2's 102.5 dom.

- What is Leap's budget. Opened to 4.7m and has shown good legs. Has 81m OS too, for 100m+ WW.

# TITLE WEEKEND   LOCATIONS   AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 It (2017) $59,000,000 -52% 4,103 0 $14,380 $217,710,619 2 Warner Bros. / New Line
2 American Assassin $15,200,000 3,154 $4,819 $15,200,000 1 CBS Films / Lionsgate
3 mother! $7,500,000 2,368 $3,167 $7,500,000 1 Paramount
4 Home Again $5,400,000 -37% 3,036 96 $1,779 $17,201,084 2 Open Road
5 The Hitman’s Bodyguard $3,500,000 -27% 3,272 -50 $1,070 $70,307,040 5 Lionsgate / Summit
6 Wind River $2,500,000 -20% 2,619 -271 $955 $29,068,815 7 The Weinstein Company
7 Annabelle: Creation $2,200,000 -45% 2,117 -886 $1,039 $99,500,361 6 Warner Bros. / New Line
8 Leap! $2,100,000 -14% 2,416 -275 $869 $18,641,786 4 The Weinstein Company
9 Spider-Man: Homecoming $2,000,000 0% 1,436 -221 $1,393 $330,387,248 11 Sony / Columbia
10 Dunkirk $1,300,000 -30% 1,478 -632 $880 $185,136,652 9 Warner Bros.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edmkh said:

Following IT numbers its just so exciting for me because its the first time in my life that i am following a horror movie with this kind of money making, i mean it its just insane, and i followed runs that were great for horror movies in the past, but nothing like it. For me it numers are like titanics or The Avengers or Star Wars 7, its its just insane numbers for a horror movie today.

I wasnt following box office for the time of jaws or the exorcist, so this is the first time i am following a run like that with that kind of numbers for a horror movie like IT.

This is so great and exciting. Also, as a plus i am a King fan and i loved the book.

I think IT  is in the top 5 domestic box office stories since I started paying attention, summer 2013.  

1/2:     American Sniper/Force Awakens

3/4/5:  IT/Wonder Woman/Jurassic World

5-10:

Deadpool

Frozen

Gravity

Get Out

Catching Fire

Other notables: (no particular order)

Furious 7

Pets

Jungle Book

Zootopia

Inside Out

GotG

Notable negative stories: (no order)

47 Ronin

King Arthur

Fantastic Four

Gods of Egypt

Blackhat, (esp China ;) )

Lone Ranger

RIPD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

I think IT  is in the top 5 domestic box office stories since I started paying attention, summer 2013.  

1/2:     American Sniper/Force Awakens

3/4/5:  IT/Wonder Woman/Jurassic World

5-10:

Deadpool

Frozen

Gravity

Get Out

Catching Fire

Other notables: (no particular order)

Furious 7

Pets

Jungle Book

Zootopia

Inside Out

GotG

Notable negative stories: (no order)

47 Ronin

King Arthur

Fantastic Four

Gods of Egypt

Blackhat, (esp China ;) )

Lone Ranger

RIPD

Force Awakens wasn't THAT surprising since it was Star Wars. Get Out and Deadpool where more surprising than that and Wonder Woman for me anyway.

Edited by Boxofficerules
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, edmkh said:

Following IT numbers its just so exciting for me because its the first time in my life that i am following a horror movie with this kind of money making, i mean it its just insane, and i followed runs that were great for horror movies in the past, but nothing like it. For me it numers are like titanics or The Avengers or Star Wars 7, its its just insane numbers for a horror movie today.

I wasnt following box office for the time of jaws or the exorcist, so this is the first time i am following a run like that with that kind of numbers for a horror movie like IT.

This is so great and exciting. Also, as a plus i am a King fan and i loved the book.

What's the most impressive is it's doing these level of numbers in freaking September.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Force Awakens wasn't THAT surprising since it was Star Wars. Get Out and Deadpool where more surprising than that and Wonder Woman for me anyway.

Force Awakens doing well wasn't surprising but how well it did was. It is an amazingly impressive run. 

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Of the 21 movies currently at $100M+ DOM, we have 8 as "premier" concepts to screen (not reboots, sequels, or remakes)...WW, Dunkirk, IT, Get Out, The Boss Baby, Split, Girls Trip, and Baby Driver...it's been a good year to show the strength of giving audiences theatrical releases not done before - we don't always need franchises and retreads - new screen material (whether completely original or derived from other media sources) can hit big...maybe mother! didn't hit this weekend, but AA's gonna be at least a modest hit with its $33M Production budget, so even this weekend, we'll have another successful premier project to hit the screen, even while riding the wave of IT...

The irony is that at least half those movies will become successful franchises. :sparta:

• Like 2