WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Good drop for IT. Anyone who was hoping for a massive drop didn't get their wish. The word of mouth is good.

Mother! flopped. Moving it to September didn't help matters but I doubt it would have been a hit anywhere. The flop will hurt everyone involved but nobody is losing their career over it.

American Assassin's number doesn't impress me. It's okay but similar films have done much better.

Annabelle 2 is this close to 100mil. WB are killing it in the horror genre. Hope that they can get their comic book movie franchise in as good a place. If JL is as terrible as BvS it will be one step forward and one step back.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It's not like Moana didn't have the support or the right circumstances to be big. If it did less that SLOP or DM3 it is entirely because people liked the latter more.

No, Moana doing less than SLOP or DM3 means literally one thing: that fewer people watched it in theatres. It doesn't mean people liked it less.

Moana didn't have nearly the amount of advertising/marketing the others did. We don't have all the data (just TV ad spending), but Illumination generally spends at least 50% more on TV ads than Disney does. I know this is anecdotal, but I see way more online ads and billboards/posters etc. from Illumination films. What they don't spend on animation they spend double on marketing. (h/t @TalismanRing)

There's also a bunch of other factors that affect box office. It's fundamentally unknowable which film people generally liked the most because we don't have random polling of the audience.

That being said, for people who decided to give a rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Moana was the most liked of the three films. The number of ratings on RT is large enough that I'm doubtful a dedicated contingent of Disney fans could be skewing the results.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, IT is having an all-time run, but it's a run the the industry absolutely NEEDED. If it weren't for IT, theatre's around the country would be absolutely dead, and almost begging customers to come in.

giphy.gif

Before IT released, Cineplex actually was begging customers to come in. I got so many e-mails "Tuesday pricing everyday!" "Free popcorn" etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Impossible said:

Is Emoji Movie the highest grossing worst movie of all time? I'm shocked this is not flopping it doesn't deserve one nickel.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen has that honour! The Emoji Movie got lucky August was dire, it would have died in a more competitive month. At least we won't see a sequel unless Sony are a sucker for punishment

I usually enjoy Illumination movies but I like 1000 times more Pixar o WDAS movies that is why I follow their Box office numbers more closely than the others, for me it was more impressive to see Zootopia doing +1B WW or Inside Out doing +355M DOM than DM3 doing +1B WW. Don't get me wrong I like this franchise but every new movie is worse than the last one, I just hope that DM4 is at least as good as DM2. I also feel that everyone is free to cheer and post the numbers of whatever movie they want and they shouldn't be forced to talked about a movie that they didn't like as long as they don't disrespect other people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen has that honour! The Emoji Movie got lucky August was dire, it would have died in a more competitive month. At least we won't see a sequel unless Sony are a sucker for punishment

TF2 is crap but still better than Emoji Movie. It actually has some competency in terms of Visual Effects and action. 

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, Moana doing less than SLOP or DM3 means literally one thing: that fewer people watched it in theatres. It doesn't mean people liked it less.

Moana didn't have nearly the amount of advertising/marketing the others did. We don't have all the data (just TV ad spending), but Illumination generally spends at least 50% more on TV ads than Disney does. I know this is anecdotal, but I see way more online ads and billboards/posters etc. from Illumination films. What they don't spend on animation they spend double on marketing. (h/t @TalismanRing)

There's also a bunch of other factors that affect box office. It's fundamentally unknowable which film people generally liked the most because we don't have random polling of the audience.

That being said, for people who decided to give a rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Moana was the most liked of the three films. The number of ratings on RT is large enough that I'm doubtful a dedicated contingent of Disney fans could be skewing the results.

Illumination is a new brand competing against an established mega monster such as Disney.

For them to be able to compete or even do better than them it means that people like their movies a lot. That was the point I was trying to make.

• Like 1

Holy shit at IT

Also, goddamn Fox for not moving Kingsman to Alien: Covenant's original date lol. No matter how well it does, it's gonna be shadowed by IT which will be a shame seeing how they're trying to get the franchise off the ground :( 

I still maintain that if Hanna-Barbara and before them WBA was trying to get off the ground now and not 50+ years ago most of their stuff would be derided as crap and constantly put down on.... I will never get the insane desire to "shit" on other films just because they aren't your type, or from the studio that you champion.....

Bugs Bunny and the like would never make it in today's society because they aren't deep and meaningful enough....

Oh and Moana was pretentious paint by numbers Disney Princess with a thin veneer of multi-culturalism thrown in because they needed to be PC. DM3 was better in all but the visuals department and that comes from someone who has been a huge fan of Disney for most of my life (and have the spent $$ to prove it lol).

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1