WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Spider-Man: Homecoming spends its 11th weekend in the box office top 10. With a ninth place finish of $1.8 million, the film joins a rare and elite club of titles to have spent that long in the top tier.

Beauty and the Beast, Hidden Figures, and La La Land previously reached the mark earlier this year. 2017 now sets a 21st century record: the most films (four) to spend at least 11 weekends in the top 10 since 1999.

(That measurement is counting when the films reached their 11th such weekend, not when they were first released. So Hidden Figures and La La Land, which were both released in December 2016 but reached their 11th weekend in the top 10 during 2017, are counted for 2017.)

Only one other year during this century has even seen three films reach 11 weekends in the top 10: the year 2003. Every other year this century saw either two such films, only one film, or even zero — as occurred in 2015, 2012, and several other times.

It’s still possible another title could reach the 11-weekend mark before this year is out. Dunkirk, currently in its ninth weekend in the top 10, is a dark horse candidate.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/it-9-15-17/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

IT having the 2nd best weekend for a R-rated film is nice right next to American Sniper. American Assassin got hit on Sunday, but still a nice start no matter what for an action film that doesn't cost big. Mother! Was the next Paramount casuality that had strange marketing similar to A Cure For Wellness or Crimson Peak, but should maybe find a small audience years from now. Home Again having a wholesome hold much better than Hot Pursuit. 

Other holdovers have been holding on strong, and with a big potential next weekend. September could match 2015's record-breaking $626.3 million. 

Well that was technically American Snipers 4th weekend!

4 hours ago, Sal said:

As someone in the animation industry, Illumination films are also just bad for Illumination's constant bragging about its lack of rewrites and the fact that they have such disrespect for American animators that they talk about how they can pay overseas people less and still make lots of money by outsourcing our jobs.  Most other companies also outsource our jobs but at least they don't brag about it in front of us.

Illumination's numbers come primarily from their marketing and the fact that they can flood the market several months in advance and put their movie merch out half a year before the movie release on everything under the sun.  They had SLOP stuff all over petstores and Minions all over the place well before the movies came out.  It'd be more surprising if they opened low, frankly.  They do just enough with the story that people generally don't dislike the movies but never do anything particularly interesting.

Also they utterly fail at the concept of making relatable main characters and most of their main characters are people I would want to punch if I met them in real life. The fact that Seth McFarlane's character in Sing has no redeeming qualities yet still gets rewarded in the end is one of the worst things I've seen in a movie.

Disney doesn't flood the airwaves with advertising and the stores with merchandise for their animated movies? They sure do

and the Illumination films have terrific legs. Showing that, whether you like it or not, audiences like them

Edited by John Marston

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Disney doesn't flood the airwaves with advertising and the stores with merchandise for their animated movies? They sure do

and the Illumination films have terrific legs. Showing that, whether you like it or not, audiences like them

They do flood the airwaves, but mainly on channels they own like ABC, ESPN, Disney XD etc. so the cost to them is more opportunity cost and does not show up on the admeter by Variety.

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They do flood the airwaves, but mainly on channels they own like ABC, ESPN, Disney XD etc. so the cost to them is more opportunity cost and does not show up on the admeter by Variety.

I don't actually know how the Variety ad spend is calculated, but presuming it doesn't count what is broadcast on channels owned by Disney, wouldn't this also be true for the many channels owned by Comcast with regards to ad spending for Illumination films?

Just now, Jason said:

I don't actually know how the Variety ad spend is calculated, but presuming it doesn't count what is broadcast on channels owned by Disney, wouldn't this also be true for the many channels owned by Comcast with regards to ad spending for Illumination films?

It would. But Illumination does have to pay to advertise on literally any kids network like Cartoon Network, Nick etc. The corporate synergy is how we got literally every Universal release having a Superbowl ad when NBC had it 3 years ago. I fully expect that to repeat next year again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Well that was technically American Snipers 4th weekend!

That's true considering it was an expanded release as its 5th weekend overall. Because it was released on Christmas Day 2014. No matter what very awesome weekend for a horror film. 

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

...he's right?

I can assure you he's not.  Without getting into specifics, I had dinner twice with RTH over the last ten days and I learned more about box office in those 5 hours than I thought was possible.  

Bottom line is everything matters.  Domestic, international, HV, licensing, TV, downloads, future earnings based on adding to a film library, airplane views, digital downloads and everything else.  Saying that domestic is more important inherently and unequivocally wrong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I feel like some of the movies got propped up because of It's R-rating causing people to buy tickets for other movies and sneak into It.  A similar circumstance happened when 8 Mile opened giving tiny drops for I Spy, The Ring, Santa Clause 2....

1 N 8 Mile Uni. $51,240,555 - 2,470 - $20,745 $51,240,555 $41 1
2 1 The Santa Clause 2 BV $24,734,523 -14.7% 3,352 +2 $7,379 $60,038,513 $65 2
3 2 The Ring DW $15,507,802 -14.4% 2,927 +119 $5,298 $85,601,983 $48 4
4 3 I Spy Sony $8,809,800 -30.9% 3,182 - $2,768 $24,487,959 $70 2
5 4 Jackass: The Movie Par. $7,106,194 -44.2% 2,532 +2 $2,806 $53,198,646 $5 3
6 6 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $5,854,005 +4.1% 1,975 -2 $2,964 $192,857,165 $5 30
7 7 Sweet Home Alabama BV $3,810,839 -17.1% 2,004 -437 $1,901 $118,548,539 $30 7

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2002&wknd=45&p=.htm

Also, I think that It also had this affect on movies in It's second weekend reflecting on the good hold for Hitman's Bodyguard opening against American Assassin.  Most movies fell last week coming of strong Labor Day weekend holds but movies like Annabelle and Spider-Man have shown that 8-Mile effect both this weekend and last weekend.  Lastly, this weekend the affect has happened too with the aformentioned Hitman's Bodyguard and even I bet mother! had numbers propped up with people buying tickets for mother! so they could sneak into It.  Expect large drops for everything next weekend.

Edited by Matrix4You

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

...he's right?

Comparing one dollar domestic to one dollar OS of strictly box office revenue yes, domestic is worth more.  But the total overseas potential is higher than domestic so if you take all overseas revenue grouped together then that's the more important part.

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I can assure you he's not.  Without getting into specifics, I had dinner twice with RTH over the last ten days and I learned more about box office in those 5 hours than I thought was possible.  

Bottom line is everything matters.  Domestic, international, HV, licensing, TV, downloads, future earnings based on adding to a film library, airplane views, digital downloads and everything else.  Saying that domestic is more important inherently and unequivocally wrong.

Wish I could have been there just to listen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I concur. 

• Like 1