WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Both Crimson Peak and Nightcrawler are 2-3 years old and previews have grown stronger in general since then. CP had Del Toro who has name recognition, but overall Mother! has a bigger recognition especially JLaw.

Won't be surprised if it does sub-10 ow.

I will be surprised if it does that low.

I'm going to see it tonight, and I guess we'll see what we see.  I understand it did better than American Made in France on opening day (I didn't check that).  I guess we'll see how much of its box office comes from foreign markets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Now watch as Red Sparrow becomes the big fat box office hit that puts her right back in the "she is a star!" column. :D 

Red Sparrow looks bad and she's again miscast. The director doesn't inspire confidence.  Salt numbers would be the bar for success. I doubt it will make it

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For all the doom and gloom we'll probably here about mother!'s numbers and how starpower is dead the next few days, JLaw will be fine. Yes, the media might have been premature in labeling her "The Next Big Thing" (especially when her biggest hits came from pre-established brands; The Hunger Games would've been big with anyone as Katniss, and she adds zilch to X-Men), but I doubt she's really interested in pursuing that kind of a career anyway and just does projects she finds interesting. And FWIW, mother! likely would've done even worse without her.

The alt right will jump all over the 'star power' bit pretending this should have made some arbitrary number but I think most know this is an envelope pushing movie, not standard box office fare.  I think Jen will show a different type of performance and a willingness to explore risky subject matter. She also largely has raves for her own performance. I think that won't hurt her, at all.

As for the next big thing, there can be more than one, but I think that will be tested more by a role the type of which her fans already expect to see her in.  When she arrives at places, she is definitely a sensation.  The Movie Star element is a separate analysis from the strict 'actress' element.

• Like 2

I wish Woodley would be cast in more bigger films. Do see her as JLaw's closest competition in the future but JLaw is far ahead in star quotient. Woodley can be intense in a subtle lighter manner without being theatrical and dramatic like JLaw.

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

I will be surprised if it does that low.

I'm going to see it tonight, and I guess we'll see what we see.  I understand it did better than American Made in France on opening day (I didn't check that).  I guess we'll see how much of its box office comes from foreign markets.

It did a bit better than opening day in France than AM (Cruises' lowest opening ever) but also about 1/3rd the opening of Black Swan. 

The AlloCine audience review avg (2.6/5) doesn't look promising for long legs

• Astonished 1

People keep having this magical theory of star power. Jlaw "star power" is that she delivered a remarkable, Oscar-caliber performance in an insane, viscerally disturbing film that will be a great addition to her career resume.  But that does not mean people will flock to this type of movie just because she is in it. This is simply not a commercial movie.

That said I think the film will be playing through the awards season.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trifle said:

The alt right will jump all over the 'star power' bit pretending this should have made some arbitrary number but I think most know this is an envelope pushing movie, not standard box office fare.  I think Jen will show a different type of performance and a willingness to explore risky subject matter. She also largely has raves for her own performance. I think that won't hurt her, at all.

As for the next big thing, there can be more than one, but I think that will be tested more by a role the type of which her fans already expect to see her in.  When she arrives at places, she is definitely a sensation.  The Movie Star element is a separate analysis from the strict 'actress' element.

I agree she's the biggest star right now. The good news is that she is big OS too. This movie was a hard sell

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Happy Death Day looks like another Wish Upon.

mj-blumhouse-1.jpg

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Witch .63m = $8.8m

It Comes At Night:: $.7m - $6m

Not a summer film so I think closer to the first which would translate to $9.77m

LET THE FUDGE COME THROUGH PARAMOUNT

• Like 1

Gonna start doing weekly updates for you, @WrathOfHan:

12x:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle: Alien: Covenant, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, Dunkirk IMAX, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Logan Lucky, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, The Dark Tower

10x:

Geostorm: Kong: Skull Island, Life, Wonder Woman, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, Transformers: The Last Knight, 47 Meters Down, The Big Sick Round 2, Megan Leavey

8x:

Pitch Perfect 3: Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, The Big Sick, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip

Flatliners: The Glass Castle, Annabelle: Creation, Logan Lucky, Good Time, 47 Meters Down, The Dark Tower, Wind River, It

7x:

American Made: The Book of Henry, Beatriz at Dinner, Dunkirk IMAX, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Detroit, Logan Lucky, Megan Leavey

Blade Runner 2049: Wonder Woman, Dunkirk IMAX, The Glass Castle, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Good Time, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2

6x:

Ferdinand: The Boss Baby, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie

The Mountain Between Us: Wonder Woman Round 3, The Glass Castle, Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Brigsby Bear, Girls Trip

American Assassin: The Glass Castle, Logan Lucky, The Big Sick Round 2, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Megan Leavey, Wind River

Justice League: Dunkirk IMAX, Wonder Woman Round 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Detroit, Dunkirk Round 2, It

5x:

The Foreigner: Baby Driver, Detroit, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, The Dark Tower

A Bad Moms Christmas: The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, Annabelle: Creation, Girls Trip, It

Mother!: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Logan Lucky, The Dark Tower, It

4x:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Dunkirk IMAX

The LEGO Ninjago Movie: The LEGO Batman Movie, The Boss Baby, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie

Coco: Beauty and the Beast, Beauty and the Beast Round 2, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Lion King

Thor: Ragnarok: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Wonder Woman Round 3, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Daddy’s Home 2: Transformers: The Last Knight, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Free Fire, A Ghost Story, Good Time, Wind River

Murder on the Orient Express: Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, It

3x:

My Little Pony: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, The Emoji Movie

Battle of the Sexes: The Book of Henry, Beatriz at Dinner, Brigsby Bear

Death Wish: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Thank You for Your Service: A Ghost Story, The Glass Castle, The Dark Tower

The Snowman: Atomic Blonde, Dunkirk Round 2, Wind River

Happy Death Day: Annabelle: Creation, 47 Meters Down, It

2x:

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2

Victoria and Abdul: The Book of Henry, Good Time

The Florida Project: Brigsby Bear, Good Time

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women: Wonder Woman, The Dark Tower

Suburbicon: Good Time, Wind River

Friend Request: 47 Meters Down, It

1x:

The Greatest Showman: Despicable Me 3

Marshall: War for the Planet of the Apes 4K

Woodshock: A Ghost Story

The Star: The Emoji Movie

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: The Lion King

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Darkest Hour: Atomic Blonde

Wonder: The Glass Castle

The Shape of Water: War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2

Only the Brave: Detroit

Call Me by Your Name: Brigsby Bear

Novitiate: Brigsby Bear

Molly’s Game: Logan Lucky

Breathe: Logan Lucky

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Good Time

Same Kind of Different as Me: Megan Leavey

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House: Dunkirk Round 2

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Polaroid: Wind River

Ready Player One: It

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, straggler said:

People keep having this magical theory of star power. Jlaw "star power" is that she delivered a remarkable, Oscar-caliber performance in an insane, viscerally disturbing film that will be a great addition to her career resume.  But that does not mean people will flock to this type of movie just because she is in it. This is simply not a commercial movie.

That said I think the film will be playing through the awards season.   

In industry screenings maybe but it will be long out of theaters by then.

Yes, we are in the era of IP and Brand being king but star power of course still exists.  It's a matter of marrying the right star to the right film.  Though even with a mismatched star, or a star in a non commercial project can still bring in more people to the box office in the same role as a non star.  

Even in the height of star power it never trumped genre or whether or not the film was general audience friendly.   Hardly anyone paid to see Cary Grant in his working class drama when he was the #1  one star in an industry filled with stars.   Tom Cruise was the biggest star of the 90s -  Magnolia did $22m - a fraction of  Mission Impossible II or Jerry McGuire.  DeCaprio can currently push almost anything - except J Edgar Hoover

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alli said:

Red Sparrow looks bad and she's again miscast. The director doesn't inspire confidence.  Salt numbers would be the bar for success. I doubt it will make it

Except for not being Russian, why is she miscast ? She fit the character from the books really well imo, an obvious choice even.

Director do not inspire any confidence for this to be great, but inspire confidence to turn out decent.

• Like 1