grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

22 minutes ago, Menor said:

If Dragon 3 is an underperformer then why not Shazam? I'd flip those two tbh. Either way, the not underperformers are dominated by Disney and Disney-associated sequels, which has been the story. Disney sequels mostly do well while most non Disney sequels underperform

yes, this is simply because Disney has released way more attractive films. 

You can make a case for Shazam but it's not a sequel, it's done fine for a more modestly budgeted new character. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Hearing bad stuff from people I follow on letterboxd too (even The Rock and Statham chemistry isn't that good). Men in Black International tier reviews coming in OOF

Sucks ass because Leitch is an action director with a lot of potential wasting his talent on these crappy blockbuster films. 

Ehh John Wick, Atomic Blonde and Deadpool 2 all ended up being fine. So I’m not really sure how he’s wasting his time on crappy blockbuster films, especially when he’s the one that’s directing said blockbuster film. Maybe he works better with the lower budget films or at least films that don’t rely on explosions all the time but like at the end of the day he’s the one who directed this movie. So if it ends up being crappy, then a lot of the blame turns to him....

• Like 3

Disney makes the better films.

Audiences show up.

Crazy, uh ?

Who would have thought this was a good busniness plan ?

What Disney is doing is quite revolutionnary, I reckon.

Make great, excellent films and reap the fruits of your hard work.

Thought provoking, trailblazing strategy.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Disney makes the better films.

Audiences show up.

Crazy, uh ?

Only three Disney movies were considered better than the bunch. Disney is winning because of the IPs they own, not the quality of the movies. 

I'm willing to bet that Disney will have a better year critically next year but will make a bit more than half the money it did this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

yes, this is simply because Disney has released way more attractive films. 

You can make a case for Shazam but it's not a sequel, it's done fine for a more modestly budgeted new character. 

I don't disagree at all, just pointing out where the "everything is underperforming" take comes from

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Are fanboys really still rooting of this franchise to fail? To the point that they're still pretending reviews matter for TF&TF films?

What fanboys ? 

I love  fast and furious but could care less if this is a hit or a flop. It’s just a spin off 

Edited by Minnale101

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

but... but... the Cinemascore! the RT Audience Score!!

As far as box office goes, the only quality that matters is the quality to the audience. So I'd say those are perfectly relevant metrics.

2 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Are fanboys really still rooting of this franchise to fail? To the point that they're still pretending reviews matter for TF&TF films?

The last 4 got good/decent reviews and also that's when the movies have been more successful and well received...this is not a franchise where critics are super out of touch with audiences.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

As far as box office goes, the only quality that matters is the quality to the audience. So I'd say those are perfectly relevant metrics.

Does that then mean Godzilla KOTM was a quality film?

I would say part of the reason why the audience scores are so good is because of the IPs themselves. I don't see Aladdin and TLK getting such good audience reception if they were original films.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Does that then mean Godzilla KOTM was a quality film?

I would say part of the reason why the audience scores are so good is because of the IPs themselves. I don't see Aladdin and TLK getting such good audience reception if they were original films.

Disney invented remakes.

Told you.

These Disney suits know things the other studios don't.

Nobody thought of doing remakes before them.

Unheard of.

• Knock It Off 1