grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think you are 100% underestimating people’s love of camp and bad films

Small sample size though. Those films never get bigger than cult classic.

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

HOWEVER. If there's any reason why I would want this film to be a modest hit at the very least, it's for Vanessa Kirby's sake. I looked on her IMDb page, and she's the lead role of two films in pre-production that seem like they could be very good on paper. If this outright bombs, the people funding those projects might think twice before allowing those projects to start filming. Maybe. I don't know. I just think Vanessa Kirby has a lot of potential as a star, and it'd be a shame for a bomb to throw other projects off course.

Wasn't the rumour that Kirby's on the Catwoman short-list? I'm sure she'll be fine; she just did one of the best action films of all time a year ago.

• Astonished 1

33 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think you are 100% underestimating people’s love of camp and bad films. I am not looking for “moments of sincerity”; I am looking for Ridiculous action set pieces. 

Yeah, the best recent example would be Aquaman. It became highest grossing DC film worldwide because of how campy and ridiculous the whole thing was. And it's not like the other F&F movies aren't campy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, SLAM! said:

One of the major things that I think might be a factor in a drop would probably be the amount of comedy that is being advertised front and center in the film. This is a film that is so aware of what it is that there's no sincerity to draw people in. The main franchise has at least made room for moments of sincerity.

Another reason is that both Once Upon a Time and The Farewell will be vying for the adult audience. If people decide they want to see a film where suspension of disbelief hasn't already been severed by the marketing, then they just might choose those other options.

HOWEVER. If there's any reason why I would want this film to be a modest hit at the very least, it's for Vanessa Kirby's sake. I looked on her IMDb page, and she's the lead role of two films in pre-production that seem like they could be very good on paper. If this outright bombs, the people funding those projects might think twice before allowing those projects to start filming. Maybe. I don't know. I just think Vanessa Kirby has a lot of potential as a star, and it'd be a shame for a bomb to throw other projects off course.

How does one define a movie that is aware of what it is? I mean, Dwayne Johnson movies are not known for Jump Street or Deadpool level self-awareness. And even those movies were able to implement a certain level of sincerity without taking away self-awareness.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

How does one define a movie that is aware of what it is? I mean, Dwayne Johnson movies are not known for Jump Street or Deadpool level self-awareness. And even those movies were able to implement sincerity without taking away self-awareness.

I think I explained myself poorly. Self-awareness isn't a bad thing at all; it's just that Hobbs and Shaw seems to be aware of how ridiculous its setpieces are. And others have said that's what they want, and that's fine. But Hobbs and Shaw seems to be taking it to the level where the ridiculousness is in the film precisely because the studio making the film is blatantly aiming to appeal to the viewer's potentially shallow desire for ridiculous action setpieces. 21 Jump Street and Deadpool are great films because they have something underneath the ridiculousness, and it is my hope that I'm wrong about Hobbs and Shaw--that it also has something underneath its ridiculous exterior. Something more potent. A thematic reason for the film to exist beyond monetary value. But if it doesn't, then it might as well be akin to a big budget Sharknado.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I think I explained myself poorly. Self-awareness isn't a bad thing at all; it's just that Hobbs and Shaw seems to be aware of how ridiculous its setpieces are. And others have said that's what they want, and that's fine. But Hobbs and Shaw seems to be taking it to the level where the ridiculousness is in the film precisely because the studio making the film is blatantly aiming to appeal to the viewer's potentially shallow desire for ridiculous action setpieces. 21 Jump Street and Deadpool are great films because they have something underneath the ridiculousness, and it is my hope that I'm wrong about Hobbs and Shaw--that it also has something underneath its ridiculous exterior. Something more potent. A thematic reason for the film to exist beyond monetary value. But if it doesn't, then it might as well be akin to a big budget Sharknado.

This is F&F. Ir obviously gonna be about FAMILY

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I think the problem is the notion of self-awareness tends to get the wrong interpretation sometimes. There's a sense that self-awareness gets interpreted sometimes as the filmmakers being aware of the movie they're making when how it's really defined is that it's the movie being aware of *itself*. Dwayne Johnson movies are certainly not the latter, not even a movie like Baywatch which was pitched that way but ultimately wasn't. To that end, it wasn't even the former either since it had a clear cut identity crisis. When it comes down to it, Dwayne Johnson insists on making movies that are supposed to be "fun" yet is content making them in the most generic ways possible that they’re ultimately just empty and hollow. And it's not enough for the filmmakers to be aware of the absurdity of a movie they're making when the movie itself is not.

Spoiler

As far as Hobbs and Shaw having something more potent, I wouldn't count on it if reports are true that it doesn't really connect itself to the main Fast universe. Although, Fast 10 could connect it if they're inclined to.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I really don’t understand how they could have botched this so bad.

first trailer was fun, action filled and funny 

maybe they just showed every good scene in it and rest is pure shit

shouldnt have given villain superhuman powers and just made it normal and cunning 

9 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I really don’t understand how they could have botched this so bad.

first trailer was fun, action filled and funny 

maybe they just showed every good scene in it and rest is pure shit

shouldnt have given villain superhuman powers and just made it normal and cunning 

...who's to say they botched it, embargo still isn't up 

• Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

...who's to say they botched it, embargo still isn't up 

I would be pleasantly happy and surprised if they didn’t. I love fast and furious but just vibes lately make it seem like they did 

like vieweranon saying he heard from people who watched and said movie didn’t turn it well 

but same thing happen with Aladdin and that turned out great. Loved that movie

Edited by Minnale101

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Right around Fast and Furious 6, they realized how over the top the series was and they've never looked back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

I would be pleasantly happy and surprised if they didn’t. I love fast and furious but just vibes lately make it seem like they did 

like vieweranon saying he heard from people who watched and said movie didn’t turn it well 

but same thing happen with Aladdin and that turned out great. Loved that movie

If I’m not mistaken @antovolk goes to premieres/sees movies early on. I don’t know if he’s seen this one yet but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did already. 

*Not to say this movie turned out well or anything as the embargo date is a BIG question mark given when the LA premiere for this movie was. Just that usually when Antovolk comments on the quality of a film it’s cause he’s seen it already 

• Like 1