Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

12 hours ago, Chicago said:

As a child living in the UK, it used to upset me that we never celebrated Independence Day and I never knew why. It was only when i got older that I realised you were celebrating being independent from us

I had a manager from England when I worked in India. He came to office the day before Independence day and saw all the Indian flags around and asked me "What's going on?", I said "Tomorrow is independence day" and he was like "Oh nice, who did you become independent from?" which literally led to the 6 cubicles around him all stopping their work and just staring at him.

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

I posted this in my Stoneypoint thread but figured the CC would get a little more traffic. :lol: 

Anyhoo, here’s the new movie coming soon from Stoneypoint. I edited and produced it. Share it around! 

It’s a contemporary drama/fantasy — “1/3 Cheers, 1/3 Touched by An Angel, 1/3 Twilight Zone” is how one of our stars described it. Maybe a dash of Quantum Leap too. 

David Chokachi (Baywatch) is Dog, the owner of an extraordinary New York dive bar called The Dog House. Alongside him are his sons, Jess (upcoming star Aaron Fors) and Mo (Adam Jacobs, Broadway's original Aladdin), their mother Mary (Yancy Butler, Witchblade), and brooding playwright Simon (Parker Stevenson, The Umbrella Academy). They all have special – one could even say biblical – powers, and when three strangers enter the bar at closing time, this special family helps guide them through their troubled pasts to bring them to spiritual and mental peace.

• Like 7

So which one is gonna save the island and everyone in it? Dragging everyone's asses back into that nightmare or Desmond doing some heroic british shit? I will find out very soon and report back!

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

I never watched any of the A Nightmare on Elm Street sequels (except for Freddy vs Jason) so this week I decided to try the 3rd and 7th movies which are considered the best ones. I thought Dream Warriors was overrated but New Nightmare was amazing, why wasn't it as popular as Scream and H20 when I was growing up? I really liked it and wish I had seen it sooner. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I never watched any of the A Nightmare on Elm Street sequels (except for Freddy vs Jason) so this week I decided to try the 3rd and 7th movies which are considered the best ones. I thought Dream Warriors was overrated but New Nightmare was amazing, why wasn't it as popular as Scream and H20 when I was growing up? I really liked it and wish I had seen it sooner. 

New Nightmare walked so Scream could run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

New Nightmare walked so Scream could run. 

New Nightmare was also "hurt" by being part of an established franchise, with all of the plusses and minuses that comes with the territory.  

From what I vaguely recall, originally some horror fans were hyped that Wes Craven was coming back and he would "fix" give the ailing franchise a shot in the arm.  

What they got... wasn't what they expected.  I don't recall how much it was known beforehand that the film would be more meta than not (I seem to recall it was known), but I tend to think that put some people off.  I also think some folks, maybe even a majority of the people making the loudest noises, would have been fine/looking forward to a film that was a direct sequel to the first and ignored what they didn't like that came afterwards some of the other films in the franchise. A reboot sequel as it were, in the vein of the latest Halloween films.

This is all from an outsider's perspective, as horror ain't my bag in the slightest.  Also vague recollections almost 30 years on.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

BTW ehat the hell is going on with WB and marketing for James Gunn's Suicide Squad movie which opoens  in less then a month now? I actually forgot this was coiming out so soon until I saw the Poster in a theater last night while waiting to get in to see "Black Widow" I can understnat waiting until the BW push is over, but WB needs so start the Marketing maching rolling big time within a week or so.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

BTW ehat the hell is going on with WB and marketing for James Gunn's Suicide Squad movie which opoens  in less then a month now? I actually forgot this was coiming out so soon until I saw the Poster in a theater last night while waiting to get in to see "Black Widow" I can understnat waiting until the BW push is over, but WB needs so start the Marketing maching rolling big time within a week or so.

I've personally seen a lot of advertising for it, mostly during the NBA playoffs. A fair bit of that has been on TNT for obvious reasons, but also online adverts as well (though it's definitely overshadowed by Space Jam on both fronts). Whether they are effective is another question...