Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

Watching The Equalizer for the first time.

This movie has been out for 4 years and yet I have never heard anyone mention that Chloe Moretz was even in it.

Watched for the first time also last week, well just the first half, did anyone found extremely bizarre the long of moment of the Stranger Times corrupt cops that help him for apparently no reason (the black mail / who knows what he did to get is collaboration being cut of the final movie), while shooting that doing so is killing him ? That made no sense to me.

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

Netflix’s TV app is getting a redesign. Hopefully it’ll be easier to find shit.

appmenu_LOWRES_PRdemo1.gif?w=680

Hopefully my list will actually be at the top all the time instead of Netflix randomly deciding where to put it

Edited by WrathOfHan

You currently can't see TDK on a bigger IMAX screen and may never be able to again.  The new Sydney IMAX will once again be the world's biggest but slightly smaller then the previous screen.

I just went back and looked on my phone.  I filmed this on the screen at the showing before it was demolished.  I was in the 2nd or 3rd last row and the screen was so big that the camera on my phone couldn't fit the whole screen from that distance.  Here we go.

13 hours ago, aabattery said:

Also, Wellington Paranormal continues to be hilarious.

I dunno if there's anyway to actually watch it overseas (I know the Australians can but no idea on what's happening for rest of the world) but y'all gotta try get your hands on it. It's so good.

Not yet.

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2018/07/11/taika-waititi-and-jemaine-clements-wellington-paranormal-coming-sbs-viceland

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

count me among those who rewatched TDK today. Still damn great even with all its slight problems

Same here, but I took it up a notch and watched Batman Begins before it. (No Dark Knight Rises, though; but my day is wide-open tomorrow, so I might watch it in the morning.)

The Begins/Dark Knight IMAX double feature still remains one of my favorite movie-going experiences. If you went to Begins first (which only about 50 people did), you got to return to your seat before they let in the crowd that came only for The Dark Knight. And even in late October, when the film had been playing there for three months, the Dark Knight screening ended up selling out - and yet I was still smack-dab in the middle of the auditorium for it (and ended up seeing one of my friends from school in the row behind me for Dark Knight; bear in mind that this place was over two hours away from my house).

But as far as days on movie forums go, I don't think anything will top the days leading up to The Dark Knight's release when the ceiling just kept climbing higher and higher until the Friday number came in and it became clear that Spider-Man 3's weekend record was definitely going down. It felt like such sweet vindication after seeing Batman Begins underperform three years earlier.

• Like 1

I do kinda miss the days when comic book movies told pretty self-contained stories and didn't have to worry about where they fit in a much larger universe. The Dark Knight trilogy probably wouldn't get the greenlight in today's climate unless they had a proposition of like 15 movies to go along with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thrououghbreds was pretty disappointing. Cool cinematography, but it doesn’t really do anything with its premise. The ending would’ve been a lot more effective if the main characters had actually progressed throughout the movie and not just in the last 10 minutes. I didn’t hate it, but the film’s just sort of eh.

Edited by WrathOfHan

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do kinda miss the days when comic book movies told pretty self-contained stories and didn't have to worry about where they fit in a much larger universe. The Dark Knight trilogy probably wouldn't get the greenlight in today's climate unless they had a proposition of like 15 movies to go along with them.

That’s one of my disappointments with Disney getting Fox.  The only reason we got Logan and Deadpool (two self-contained experiments) was because they didn’t really have to fit those movies into a cinematic universe.  Sure they are apart of the X-Men franchise, but they weren’t burdened by fitting into a timeline because the X-Men timeline made no sense anyways.

• Thanks 1

Finally got around to last year's Beauty and the Beast with the spouse for an at-home "Date Night" tonight...

Again (like TLJ), this is a movie where I can see the points of the fans and the detractors.  For both of us, it fell into the B-/C+ grade category of "happy we saw it/glad we didn't pay for it/will likely never be re-seen unlike the animated version."

For its pluses - wow, that set was beautiful.  The entire movie was beautiful.  The choral pieces, other than Be Our Guest (which went too far into animation look vs realistic look), made use of realistic effects to such a nice degree.  Lumiere was amazing.  The brought-to-life household items were genius and the strength of the movie.

But its minuses - it was not a star turn for Emma Watson.  Weak singing chops and only okay acting in the role.  It was also tonally very inconsistent and sometimes jarring.  Gaston and LeFou were so over the top into farce at times, but then they get serious and mean like 2 minutes later...okay, so this definitely wasn't a star turn for them, either.  The added music added little...the added plot added less.  And most times, you sit back and think the animated film did it better.  Maybe it's not fair to this movie, but it tends to be the lot of remakes to always get compared, and rarely does this one get compared better...

In the "glad they fixed it from early previews" - I liked the Beast's look.  It worked for me.  He became a wash for the movie...he seemed to never bother me compared to the original, but never wowed me, either...

So, another 2017 movie knocked off the Netflix list - next date night in is Thor Ragnarok (I'd have watched it months ago, but the spouse wants to see this, so I'm getting to other 2017 and early 2018 movies 1st:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

That’s one of my disappointments with Disney getting Fox.  The only reason we got Logan and Deadpool (two self-contained experiments) was because they didn’t really have to fit those movies into a cinematic universe.  Sure they are apart of the X-Men franchise, but they weren’t burdened by fitting into a timeline because the X-Men timeline made no sense anyways.

The movie industry in general is in a much different place now than it was 10 years ago (when it was still recovering from the aftermath of the WGA strike), though unquestionably in a better one in a few areas. Recently I was reading an interview on Vulture with Evan Rachel Wood and Julie Taymor reflecting on Across the Universe done to coincide with its return to theaters for a few days at the end of this month and the reason Revolution Studios quarreled with Taymor on the film (and what ultimately led to the film being dumped after she won final cut approval, which happened after her name had already been unfairly smeared by the press) is that not only it was deemed "too long" (at nearly 2:15 - this from an industry that thought that same year a nearly three-hour long Pirates of the Caribbean film was A-OK), but they wanted to reduce all of the non-white characters in the film to virtually no screentime at all. And this was just 11 years ago. That shit would never fly in today's environment.

• Like 1

Devil in a Blue Dress is a good lil' noir. Denzel's great and so is Cheadle. It's kinda sad that Carl Franklin hasn't really been able to get his foot entirely in the door movie-wise, he's a solid director. I'd like to see some more from him but he seems to mostly be a TV guy now.

Also:

Franklin’s initial desires to become a teacher or lawyer led him to study History upon his arrival at the university.[2] However, after two years, Franklin changed his major to theater arts. It has been rumored that he became interested in the arts while trying to meet girls by spending time around the theater department.

lmao

• Like 1

Courage Under Fire is solid. Real good Denzel performance; his big apology scene hit me hard. The way they unfold the story kept me on my toes. Good stuff!

Eagle-eyed viewers will note the Matt Damon cameos sprinkled throughout the film.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Courage Under Fire is solid. Real good Denzel performance; his big apology scene hit me hard. The way they unfold the story kept me on my toes. Good stuff!

Eagle-eyed viewers will note the Matt Damon cameos sprinkled throughout the film.

As well as Korey Coleman from Double Toasted.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Now all we need is for Disney to stop trying to buy Fox

don't worry i've just entered a "$200 and also i'll cook my famous mac 'n' cheese for you guys every saturday" bid to buy fox. disney aren't in the clear yet.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1