Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

A non-funny book movie (Green Book) has been dominating the conversation for the past day and a horror movie is about to get most of the attention in less than a month, so...

but what keeps the forum active on a daily basis? 

Green Book was an excellent movie that we all wanted to see rise to the very top even in the awards circuit.

But it isn't the movie we wanted to see breaking history against 4 other nominations.

The one we want to win is usually the other film that stands out more (and breaks more), then the one that gets the most thumbs up

Edited by Slave Animal Rights

Looking back at movies from the mid 2000s, it seems that studios were spending much more money back them, and movies made much less at the worldwide box office than today. Does it have something to do with DVD sales?

Hellboy had a $66 million production budget and made just $99 million worldwide, I remember reading it was very popular on home video, and that's why it got a sequel with a $85 million budget. That's something we don't see today.

So if these new streaming services launched by studios work, could they start making as much money as they made with DVD sales during the 2000s? This could be good for us, right? They would be giving more expensive budgets and making more movies.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Do you ever get tired putting down films that aren't spectacle blockbusters? Serious question.

I am not putting the film down at all and I am sure it will be a big hit.

But I dont get why my point that the comic book discussion on here keeps the forum busy day after is even debatable. 

I do watch a lot of smaller films but just at home and trust me most spectacle blockbusters are rather mediocre. For every BP and IW your have your Venom and  Jurassic World 2.

Its just we are more drawn to watch them as you hear things from media and friends. I would actually say that the discussion on this forum had to lead me to watch a lot of smaller films that I normally would not watch. Many times I can see why they went largely forgotten, but sometimes I see why you wish they were more appreciated. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

But I dont get why my point that the comic book discussion on here keeps the forum busy day after is even debatable. 

Because obviously a certain amount of posters who tend to be LOUDER than everybody else swarm around those movies and nothing else.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If there weren't comic book movies around other movies would fill their place and there'd be discussion. The fucking MCU didn't come to save cinema from not being talked about enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because obviously a certain amount of posters who tend to be LOUDER than everybody else swarm around those movies and nothing else.

Then logically there are more users who are not who never say anything in the smaller movie threads? 

I think there is interest in smaller movie threads but unless there is some political or social justice issue or controversy those threads don't get much debate as there is not much to debate. 

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If there weren't comic book movies around other movies would fill their place and there'd be discussion. The fucking MCU didn't come to save cinema from not being talked about enough.

There would be discussion but not as much discussion... Not because no one cares, there is just less fanboy wars lol 

By the way Film Experience ranked the clips for the acting nominees on Sunday and gotta say it was a pretty unfortunate group overall. Rami winning after that clip, yikes. Melissa McCarthy had the best one IMO. It never would've happened but I still wish Colman's clip had been

Spoiler

her telling Weisz "I like it when she puts her tongue inside me." :rofl:

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2019/2/25/ranking-the-oscar-clips.html