Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

@CJohn Dude, Prisioneira is getting a S2 and Joana Ribeiro and the guy she's dating in the show are gonna be killed off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And they're not even the 1st to get the boot (half the cast already got called off via telephone, apparently), but they're the leads, for Christ's sake. Meanwhile, Kelly Bailey's character will be arrested and Ortigão will become rich. This all according to some magazine. So.... TVI basically decided to make this A Herdeira S3. And it's going to bomb SO. FUCKING. HILARIOUSLY.

Also, continuing the trend of TitanicVI, theý also decided to cancel O Chef é Você, which is good...... and replace it with a repeat of First Dates S1. I mean, at no cost, it'll likely get the same results, so it's not super stupid, but in a time where SIC is probably going to stay steady at the top of the 7PM mountain with the new Cristina game show and dating shows are starting to wear off a bit, this is the best TVI has to offer back. Sure. Why not.

And finally, Vida Louca's intro theme song will be Livin' La Vida Loca. Yeah, a soap opera about kidnapped children will open to Livin' La Vida Loca. Cause why the fuck not :rofl:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Is Letterboxd canceled????

They did that to SilentDawn (one of the biggest contributors to the website) of all people. But this "both sides" shit is really dumb. I'm pretty sure that people have actually been killed by neo-nazis in America.

• Like 2

At present, Warner Bros. makes roughly 20 films a year. Stankey believes the number could rise to as many as 30 movies annually, which would make it the most prolific among the major studios.

“We can do more,” says Stankey. He notes that the amortization cushion provided by HBO Max will enable the company to take bets on dramas, thrillers and other genres that are becoming an endangered species in a movie business obsessed with comic book movies and big-budget fantasies.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/john-stankey-warnermedia-ceo-hbo-warner-bros-1203281473/

I like this, WB seems to be going all-in on the mid budget film which I quite like. Felt like it was gonna be a dying breed. AT&T acquisition is still terrible though.

• Like 1

Mom and Me at Work:

Mom: Did you get me that e-mail?

Me: Right in the middle of something.

*two minutes later*

Mom: Did you get me that number?

Me: Right In The Middle OF Something.

*three minutes later*

Mom: Did you text our client?

Me: RiGHT In the MIDDLE of SOMEthiiiiiing.

Oh my God, Woman.  

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Is Letterboxd canceled????

I'm gonna get real here for a second.  IMO, the problem here isn't a social media staffer clumsily saying "We don't support comments that call for the killing of anyone in real life, including folks as vile as Neo-Nazis".

The real problem is that content moderation on sites as large as that is all but impossible.  Consistent moderation I think IS impossible for that large of a site, even if they hired the hundreds (possibly low thousand given its Alexa ranking) folks needed to oversee hands-on non-algorithm based moderation.  The variation from one person to the next means that even with hard and defined rules, the human interpretation between moderator #41 and moderator #791 would be great enough that over time inconsistency would accumulate.  

I bring this up because of all of the folks complaining back to lettboxd about "Well, what about this comment HERE and THERE.  I reported them and they weren't taken down."  And they're almost certainly right.  It doesn't help that folks who excel in acting in bad faith (including said Neo-Nazis and their symps) know how to game the system of reporting on sites as big as letterboxd far more than most casual users.  They can find something and mass report it, for instance.

So, sure, the letterboxd employee who wrote that message on Twitter (and the other ones after it) didn't handle it well. At all. To put it mildly.  But that's just a symptom of an underlying problem: Moderation and huge websites with a social bent is a nut that has yet to be cracked successfully.  And might not be able to be cracked, IMO.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Dude, Prisioneira is getting a S2 and Joana Ribeiro and the guy she's dating in the show are gonna be killed off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And they're not even the 1st to get the boot (half the cast already got called off via telephone, apparently), but they're the leads, for Christ's sake. Meanwhile, Kelly Bailey's character will be arrested and Ortigão will become rich. This all according to some magazine. So.... TVI basically decided to make this A Herdeira S3. And it's going to bomb SO. FUCKING. HILARIOUSLY.

Also, continuing the trend of TitanicVI, theý also decided to cancel O Chef é Você, which is good...... and replace it with a repeat of First Dates S1. I mean, at no cost, it'll likely get the same results, so it's not super stupid, but in a time where SIC is probably going to stay steady at the top of the 7PM mountain with the new Cristina game show and dating shows are starting to wear off a bit, this is the best TVI has to offer back. Sure. Why not.

And finally, Vida Louca's intro theme song will be Livin' La Vida Loca. Yeah, a soap opera about kidnapped children will open to Livin' La Vida Loca. Cause why the fuck not :rofl:

So they are midday rebooting it to see if audiences increase. What the hell. That also helps on the budget because they are getting rid of some expensive cast members.

7 PM is dead anyway, might as well go with something cheap af which can probably do the same 10% share as everything else.

La Vida Loca? Fucking HELL? What year is this? 2000?

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So they are midday rebooting it to see if audiences increase. What the hell. That also helps on the budget because they are getting rid of some expensive cast members.

7 PM is dead anyway, might as well go with something cheap af which can probably do the same 10% share as everything else.

La Vida Loca? Fucking HELL? What year is this? 2000?

Yeah, they're basically rebooting it. Probably won't work and they'll end up just cutting the soap down to 150-180 episodes to make it a mercifully short stain in their history. At least Joana Ribeiro is free from that nightmare.

That's probably the line of thinking and it does make sense. It's just funny to me that TVI's best hope for 7PM right now lies on repeating a dating show that had mild success at best. First Dates wasn't some ratings behemoth. But I do trust in it hitting 10% share now, which is on par or even an improvement from O Chef é Você and A Tarde é Sua, shockingly.

Apparently it is. At least Despacito kinda made sense. This is just random af. TVI probably just texted "vida louca" on YouTube and went for the 1st thing that popped up.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, they're basically rebooting it. Probably won't work and they'll end up just cutting the soap down to 150-180 episodes to make it a mercifully short stain in their history. At least Joana Ribeiro is free from that nightmare.

That's probably the line of thinking and it does make sense. It's just funny to me that TVI's best hope for 7PM right now lies on repeating a dating show that had mild success at best. First Dates wasn't some ratings behemoth. But I do trust in it hitting 10% share now, which is on par or even an improvement from O Chef é Você and A Tarde é Sua, shockingly.

Apparently it is. At least Despacito kinda made sense. This is just random af. TVI probably just texted "vida louca" on YouTube and went for the 1st thing that popped up.

TV shows in America sometimes do that on season 2? Ratings just fall harder because nobody new comes in and the people who were watching before won't continue with the show. See Fear the Walking Dead's ratings tanking after they killed Kim Dickens' character and rebooted the show with Morgan from the main show as the lead.

First Dates has zero cost attached. It is a 10% share free of any budget. It is the best case scenario right now. This is TVI right now.

Edit: 7.8% share on Monday. The more TVI switches shows at 7 PM the lower it goes. They will come up with something else next week for that slot. Filipa Garnel won't last.

I am still in "but why" mode. I can't. I am sorry. I don't even know how it will work as a soap's intro song. 

Edited by CJohn

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I wonder how the Sight & Sound poll will be done in 2022. After all, social media and online film commentary has exploded, even since 2012.

personally i'm looking forward to seeing jeremy jahns and grace randolph's sight and sound lists.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

personally i'm looking forward to seeing jeremy jahns and grace randolph's sight and sound lists.

Unironically, I wonder if they'll go that route. Or maybe even poll Chris Stuckmann or those Red Letter Media guys.

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@Water Bottle @grim22

Can we make a D23 thread? There's a schedule now.

https://d23.com/magic-streaming-d23-expo-2019/

I had to chuckle at this. Who's ready for that Handmaid's Tale Disney World attraction?

Hulu Pavilion
The Hulu Pavilion will be home to more than 20 iconic costumes and artifacts, including the famous red robe worn by the likes of Elisabeth Moss in The Handmaid’s Tale, paintings featured in season one of Castle Rock,and George Clooney’s Catch-22 costume. In addition to costumes, visitors to the interactive exhibit will be able to get a closer look at show props from upcoming Hulu Originals like Little Fires Everywhere and select shows found in Hulu’s streaming library, such as The Good Doctor, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Goldbergs.

• Like 2

Wait a minute.  I heard that Yasiel Puig was traded.  What I didn't hear was that after he was traded (but I guess it wasn't quite official yet), the Reds left him in the game... and he got into a brawl with the Pirates???

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

BAWAWAWAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Look, I love Yasiel Puig as a player.  I'd love him on the Giants, for instance.  But this is so 'on brand' that I swear people are fucking with me if I hadn't confirmed it already.  😂 😂 😂 😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1