Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

That's the problem tho is that this isn't even like The Room where it's so misguided it's actually a pretty good comedy. Like, this is just embarrassing, because you can see what they were trying to do, it just feels so contrived, sloppy, and awkward. I'm not sure why I finished watching it to be honest. I just felt so bad for everybody involved the entire time.

And Eastwood's made some pretty good movies, it's not like he's a Tommy Wiseau or anything, so idk what the hell happened here. 

I think the issue with American Sniper was that is a rather Okay war movie, solid nothing great.

I think what made it stand out was that a person did his duty and did not really feel bad about what he did and thats a novel look compared to recent war movies. 

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

That's the problem tho is that this isn't even like The Room where it's so misguided it's actually a pretty good comedy. Like, this is just embarrassing, because you can see what they were trying to do, it just feels so contrived, sloppy, and awkward. I'm not sure why I finished watching it to be honest. I just felt so bad for everybody involved the entire time.

And Eastwood's made some pretty good movies, it's not like he's a Tommy Wiseau or anything, so idk what the hell happened here. 

FWIW Clint is famous for shooting with one take only, which sometimes results in bad performances from even the most seasoned professionals (see: Dianne Wiest's awkward death scene in The Mule), so using that method on three non-actors was always gonna make for a lethal combination. Granted, the movie wouldn't have been any good even with actual actors in those roles due to terrible writing that included howl-worthy lines like "my god is bigger than your statistics" and the basic flaw that there wasn't a compelling narrative feature to be made out of any of their backstories, but using the real guys, while clearly nothing more than a marketing gimmick, was the easiest way to ensure it wouldn't turn out well.

The 15:17 to Paris and Cats would actually make for a great "Oscar-Winning Directors Trying to Get Their Awards Rescinded" double feature.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

Oh, for sure. But his penchant for filming as quickly as possible has long seemed like something that could come back to bite him if he's not working with actors talented enough to pull it off on the first or second go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

FWIW Clint is famous for shooting with one take only, which sometimes results in bad performances from even the most seasoned professionals (see: Dianne Wiest's awkward death scene in The Mule), so using that method on three non-actors was always gonna make for a lethal combination. Granted, the movie wouldn't have been any good even with actual actors in those roles due to terrible writing that included howl-worthy lines like "my god is bigger than your statistics" and the basic flaw that there wasn't a compelling narrative feature to be made out of any of their backstories, but using the real guys, while clearly nothing more than a marketing gimmick, was the easiest way to ensure it wouldn't turn out well.

The 15:17 to Paris and Cats would actually make for a great "Oscar-Winning Directors Trying to Get Their Awards Rescinded" double feature.

This movie is a great example of why Hollywood needs to take certain liberties with biopics. Because for the most part, human beings live pretty dull lives compared to what we expect from the movies. Not always, but there can always be some tweaking of timelines etc. for dramatic effect. 

22 hours ago, DAJK said:

See that's the thing (and I'm not saying this was you) but I feel like a big problem with all this is that some students are going to use this as a way to troll the system or the professors. I still don't think it was right when I did it to escape a lower grade, but in my case it was more of a "ok I've run out of time to write an essay to the best of my abilities, let's pick a subject that the professor will like."

I do think that any program or department will have professors with biases. In social sciences or humanities however, it just seems so much more obvious, and I wish it wasn't because I would love for people to take these programs seriously because they have so much to offer. @Jason coming from an academic, how do you see this? Is it really an issue, or are my anecdotes simply anecdotes?

I can only speak from my experience in the sciences.

So the thing is, there are a lot of things in the sciences that are very well-established facts. So if a student were to write an essay saying that the current rise in global temperatures isn't anthropogenic, or that evolution cannot be explained by natural mechanisms, they should absolutely fail. Not because they're disagreeing with the professor, but because to write such an essay you would have to ignore a truly vast amount of evidence.

Now, there are genuine debates that occur in science. The problem is, for the vast majority of them, I could never tell if the professor favoured one hypothesis over another - the general gist was "we need more research, and I want to hear your ideas". When we wrote essays, the main thing the professor was looking for was our ability to figure out "what experiments need to be done, or data needs to be collected, that could resolve between these competing theories?", and argue for why that was the case.

My topic in the third-year molecular genetics class remains the most difficult essay I have ever written. I didn't choose right away so my classmates took the easier topics. I got stuck with "The Catalytic Mechanism of RNA Polymerase II", for which there were (are?) broadly two competing theories in the literature. I had some vague ideas for experiments but it was supposed to be a 4,000-word essay and I definitely couldn't figure out the level of detail required to fill 4,000 words.

• Like 3

FFS, I shouldn't have started watching Community on my last week of criterion channel subscription because now I'm addicted to the show and I'll end up watching just two or three movies on my current Criterion Channel watchlist by the time my subscription ends (got a google play gift card and used that for a month's worth of subscription). I did stop subscribing to Disney+ a few weeks ago so maybe I'll properly subscribe to Criterion channel now.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

FFS, I shouldn't have started watching Community on my last week of criterion channel subscription because now I'm addicted to the show and I'll end up watching just two or three movies on my current Criterion Channel watchlist by the time my subscription ends (got a google play gift card and used that for a month's worth of subscription). I did stop subscribing to Disney+ a few weeks ago so maybe I'll properly subscribe to Criterion channel now.

Properly subscribing is the best choice and a gift greater than gold. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

y topic in the third-year molecular genetics class remains the most difficult essay I have ever written. I didn't choose right away so my classmates took the easier topics. I got stuck with "The Catalytic Mechanism of RNA Polymerase II", for which there were (are?) broadly two competing theories in the literature. I had some vague ideas for experiments but it was supposed to be a 4,000-word essay and I definitely couldn't figure out the level of detail required to fill 4,000 words.

Where you happy with the grade you got?

On what is being done with films already in production:

There are some we’ve decided to put on Disney+. We already announced one, Artemis Fowl, that would have been released in theaters. Others we’ve simply delayed. In some cases we’ve moved things onto Disney+ faster than we would have. Frozen 2 was one of them, but Onward would be the biggest example. It was in theaters when this happened. We moved to a pay-per-view period for a couple of weeks where people could buy it and own it. And then we ended up putting it on Disney+.

In terms of movies going ahead after Artemis, there may be a few more that we end up putting directly onto Disney+, but for the most part a lot of the big tentpole Disney films, we’ll simply wait for slots. In some cases we’ve announced new ones already, but later on in the calendar.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/bob-iger-on-disney-after-coronoavirus-51586252700

He's clearly referring to The One & Only Ivan. The 20th Century/Searchlight movies would be Hulu exclusives.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Does the Fox-HBO deal extend to straight to streaming movies? 

Not sure but I'm sure they would work out a deal to let some movies go if need be (and it wouldn't be a spur of the moment decision like Universal deciding to put Trolls 2 out on streaming was).

8 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Ahh, haha, that is funny, some eat that with Sauerkraut... (on a plate with e.g. potatoes or...-) for the evening of the 24 December and eat ‚big‘ the next 2 days, others start at the evening of the 24 December to start big or only eat big at the 24th, if not inviting friends/relatives at the 25 December

what do you call the ‚short baguette‘-like roll for a hot dog? How to describe the difference in form? Stretched? enlegthed (is that even a word?

They are called hot dog rolls, although I call them finger rolls.

• Like 1

@CJohn The main channels are revealing their Easter weekend plans.

On TVI's side of things, the only changes will come on the afternoons. Friday, we have Son Of God and Gladiator; Saturday, Morangos com Açúcar: O Filme, Mr. Bean's Holiday and Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull; and Sunday, a 6 hour special called Nunca Desistir which will apparently feature almost every major TVI host (Goucha, Fátima, Teixeira, Cláudio Ramos, etc.) except Maria Cerqueira Gomes.

From SIC's end, we know already that The Bible will take up Friday afternoon (and will compete for a few hours with Son Of God :rofl:); on Saturday, we get the 2016 Ben-Hur remake and The Young Messiah premiere at the afternoon, as well as the launch of a show about the working professionals during the coronavirus outbreak called Estamos Aqui, hosted by Alexandra Lencastre; and on Sunday, an afternoon featuring the premieres of The Emoji Movie and Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, and, at night, Noah and the premiere of Despicable Me 3. The mornings of Saturday and Sunday will also be fully made of movies. Yet to confirm are the times for Moana and The Adventures Of Tintin.

Btw, did you see the results of some of the Sunday shows? Primeiro Jornal, RAP, Bastille Day (the 2016 Idris Elba movie about the Paris attacks), Kitchen Nightmares, NCIS: Los Angeles, Fama Show... all ludicrous.

EDIT: Just announced: Morangos com Açúcar Férias de Verão S7 will repeat at 6PM from Monday onwards 😮

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn The main channels are revealing their Easter weekend plans.

On TVI's side of things, the only changes will come on the afternoons. Friday, we have Son Of God and Gladiator; Saturday, Morangos com Açúcar: O Filme, Mr. Bean's Holiday and Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull; and Sunday, a 6 hour special called Nunca Desistir which will apparently feature almost every major TVI host (Goucha, Fátima, Teixeira, Cláudio Ramos, etc.) except Maria Cerqueira Gomes.

From SIC's end, we know already that The Bible will take up Friday afternoon (and will compete for a few hours with Son Of God :rofl:); on Saturday, we get the 2016 Ben-Hur remake and The Young Messiah premiere at the afternoon, as well as the launch of a show about the working professionals during the coronavirus outbreak called Estamos Aqui, hosted by Alexandra Lencastre; and on Sunday, an afternoon featuring the premieres of The Emoji Movie and Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, and, at night, Noah and the premiere of Despicable Me 3. The mornings of Saturday and Sunday will also be fully made of movies. Yet to confirm are the times for Moana and The Adventures Of Tintin.

Btw, did you see the results of some of the Sunday shows? Primeiro Jornal, RAP, Bastille Day (the 2016 Idris Elba movie about the Paris attacks), Kitchen Nightmares, NCIS: Los Angeles, Fama Show... all ludicrous.

EDIT: Just announced: Morangos com Açúcar Férias de Verão S7 will repeat at 6PM from Monday onwards 😮

That is one random repeat for Morangos com Açúcar fucking lmao. It will tank so so hard.

I only saw the results of RAP and it did like 1.8 million people on average which is insane. 

Easter is a good excuse to fill the days with movies and repeats and don't waste precious original episodes of soaps.

• Like 2