Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Brie Larson's use of A Wrinkle in Time as an example is over-simplified and reductive, but the core of what she's saying is dead-on: there does need to be more varied representation in professional film criticism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

she cant even google.

Professional career expert in marketing like Ava DuVernay or people that have been just on the other side of selling a movie than consuming it, when they talk about audience encountering other voices are not thinking or even implying that those voice on the Internet social media world are not existing or impossible to find for someone looking explicitly for them on an Internet search engine.

They talk about the relevant voice to sell a movie, the mainstream reaching on mass consumed platform one, those who generate the general zeitgeist tone surrounding a movie, those who make the RT score.

Now for some stuff it is true that you can simply advocate for new voices (say RT Scores, you do not need to kick anyone out just invite new critics to be certified in), but in a world of little media consumption by audience on some platform the difference between shutting people up and inviting new voice could be pure semantic.

The fact is clear:

In relevant critics voice, it is not much diverse, last year a bit above 75% of reviews of the top 1000 movies on RT were by males. 

What to do about this ? Not easy to say, but one of the best thing that could happen and that would in zero way be discriminative against men or anything like that.

Make film Internet way less toxic in general.

Could be the hardest thing to do.

Edited by Barnack

I think I am going to try and limit the amount of time spent reading up through some of these threads.  sometimes I wonder if I can find a clue about the box office and the movie industry in some of the threads while weeding through posts, or scavenging for some easter egg in other threads that probably does not even exist.   so if there was ever to be anything in any previous pages, I probably wont see it.  

After going through hundreds of pages in the Solo: Star Wars weekend threads the last few weeks, I once again reflect on what a chore it must have been for the moderators and administration during the DCU rollout

Edited by mathemetrics

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure the people mad about Brie Larson's comments are the same people who were mad when Natalie Portman shaded the all-male Best Director nominees at the Golden Globes earlier this year.

I'm not mad but I don't really see what's productive about the way they both delivered their messages. 

• Like 2

Well looks like I'm not gonna be short on Publix, @WrathOfHan. I'm headed to yall's land. I GOT INTO THE U OF FLORIDA'S MASTERS PROGRAM. #2 ranked public program according to Economist. IM HYPE AF. Been working at this since last fall, had anxiety, doubts, all the shit, but it's OVER. LETS GO. Gainesville you aint ready!

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure the people mad about Brie Larson's comments are the same people who were mad when Natalie Portman shaded the all-male Best Director nominees at the Golden Globes earlier this year.

Natalie Portman was right, there should be more female representation.

That wasn’t shade at the directors nominated, or saying they should stop directing.  It was shade at the industry for not giving more opportunities to female directors, and shade at the HFP for choosing not to nominate any of the female directorial talent from that year.

There’s a slight difference there, but it’s important because it’s enough to give off two entirely different end results.

One is promoting diversity by shoving people out so the current diversity is highlighted (and thus no new voice are brought in, there’s only a relative increase in diversity) and that’s what I got from Brie Larson’s message.  The other is advocating to include more diversity, or bringing in more diversity (in which you get an actual quantitative increase in the amount of diversity).

In other words, one gives off a message of exclusion, the other gives off a message of inclusion.  I think society’s better off if we push for the inclusive message.

Edited by Pandamia!

21 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Well looks like I'm not gonna be short on Publix, @WrathOfHan. I'm headed to yall's land. I GOT INTO THE U OF FLORIDA'S MASTERS PROGRAM. #2 ranked public program according to Economist. IM HYPE AF. Been working at this since last fall, had anxiety, doubts, all the shit, but it's OVER. LETS GO. Gainesville you aint ready!

Congrats!

Now I need to see if I can get out of Florida 🤔

52 minutes ago, Morieris said:

How do you get a twitter widget on the right.

How do you get RID of the Twitter widget is a better question. It takes up half the screen which is fucking annoying. Especially annoying since all the tweets posted by boxoffice are posted in the relevant numbers thread anyway.

55 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Natalie Portman was right, there should be more female representation.

That wasn’t shade at the directors nominated, or saying they should stop directing.  It was shade at the industry for not giving more opportunities to female directors, and shade at the HFP for choosing not to nominate any of the female directorial talent from that year.

There’s a slight difference there, but it’s important because it’s enough to give off two entirely different end results.

One is promoting diversity by shoving people out so the current diversity is highlighted (and thus no new voice are brought in, there’s only a relative increase in diversity) and that’s what I got from Brie Larson’s message.  The other is advocating to include more diversity, or bringing in more diversity (in which you get an actual quantitative increase in the amount of diversity).

In other words, one gives off a message of exclusion, the other gives off a message of inclusion.  I think society’s better off if we push for the inclusive message.

Yes exactly. The women pushing for diversity and whining about how much their lives suck and discrimination etc well I don't agree with them but I'm fine with them having their opinions. I'm not fine when people start saying that males opinions are not wanted etc

40 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

How do you get RID of the Twitter widget is a better question. It takes up half the screen which is fucking annoying. Especially annoying since all the tweets posted by boxoffice are posted in the relevant numbers thread anyway.

Yes exactly. The women pushing for diversity and whining about how much their lives suck and discrimination etc well I don't agree with them but I'm fine with them having their opinions. I'm not fine when people start saying that males opinions are not wanted etc

Please don’t associate what I said with saying there shouldn’t be a push for diversity and that discrimination in the workplace isn’t an issue.

Thats not what I said at all, in fact I’m pretty staunch at pushing for more diversity within different white male dominated industries.

I simply disagreed with Larson’s approach

9 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Please don’t associate what I said with saying there shouldn’t be a push for diversity and that discrimination in the workplace isn’t an issue.

Thats not what I said at all, in fact I’m pretty staunch at pushing for more diversity within different white male dominated industries.

I simply disagreed with Larson’s approach

I'm not...? I agreed with you then wrote my own opinion. Someone's fucking touchy.

2 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Congrats.  But a Gamecock in Gator Country?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAR said:

Congrats.  But a Gamecock in Gator Country?

Forgive me for I have sinned. And tbf I'm not true gamecock, nor did I go from gamecock to tiger like some of my friends, which is heresy.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

I hate the Twitter memes that are intentionally focused on acting like a shitty person.

The memes where people are taking pictures of Millie Bobby Brown and putting homophobic and racial slurs on them as if she said them because she ‘doesn’t Stan Mariah Carey’ is despicable behavior.

or there’ll be a post about somebody saying to say offensive slurs, and the feed will then be filled with people calling the OP different slurs.

I think it’s more of the general toxicity of the internet, but I wish the major sites like Twitter and Facebook did more to not tolerate that kind of behavior.

• Like 1