Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 3/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, CoolioD1 said:

name a franchise that was as big as the hunger games was and had less of a cultural footprint. it's basically lumped in at the same level as the maze runner/divergent at this point.

The Big Show Show has a Hunger Games reference in Episode 6. Maybe it's not as irrelevant as you think. 🤔 

Also Episode 6 has a legit great editing trick. Don't know who did it, but it made me laugh.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

The Big Show Show has a Hunger Games reference in Episode 6. Maybe it's not as irrelevant as you think. 🤔 

Also Episode 6 has a legit great editing trick. Don't know who did it, but it made me laugh.

I can’t take credit for that one. :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

you're right, the hunger games is probably as relevant as Big Show is these days. yeah.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you're right, the hunger games is probably as relevant as Big Show is these days. yeah.

Is THG held in low regard nowadays? I can’t really tell. I know the YA fad more or less fizzled out after the Divergent series crashed and burned, but THG was held in fairly high regard back in the day. It wasn’t like the Twilight franchise, where people were making fun of it from day one. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is THG held in low regard nowadays? I can’t really tell. I know the YA fad more or less fizzled out after the Divergent series crashed and burned, but THG was held in fairly high regard back in the day. It wasn’t like the Twilight franchise, where people were making fun of it from day one. 

I don't think it's held in any regard, low or high.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think our discussion of The Hunger Games in this thread is the most discussion it's gotten anywhere in years. :lol:

Coincidentally, I had to show the first one a couple of times for high school classes I was covering a few months ago. It still holds up as an engaging movie for sure, but students' reactions to it were stuck in this weird middle ground where they generally remembered it somewhat fondly from grade school (which is a wee bit disturbing given the content, but whatever), but it isn't beloved the way that Harry Potter is with my generation - or even with their generation, for that matter. Using The Hunger Games as a reference point was tired by about 2017, but I can still refer to Harry Potter and get some faces to light up in recognition.

The Hunger Games vanishing from pop culture half a decade after it ended was pretty easy to see coming tbh. The themes of the franchise just don't lend themselves to an easily digestible merchandise-friendly piece of lasting IP like, say, Star Wars or Harry Potter or even Lord of the Rings instantly did.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm still surprised I'm the only defender of Allegiant. I thought it was really good. 

I saw divergent on a plane and it made me cry. Not sure if it was just the altitude but I did enjoy it. Never followed up with the other instalments. Seemed pointless when they didn’t get to finish.

• Like 1

Maze Runner is a lot better than the other genre YA adaptation series. Wes Ball is a pretty good action director and the first two were genuinely fun movies. Last movie was terrible (still had really good action, especially the opening scene) but 2 films of the franchise being good is as good as it gets for YA adaptation franchises personally.