Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

• Founder / Operator
10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Bit late as I've been all over the board tonight, but...

Congrats to the Phils Phans on the board tonight as the Fightin's advance to the NLCS!

@TwoMisfits @Eric Feels 22 @4815162342

And commiserations to the Braves fans, while I'm at it.  Small solace, I'm sure, but youse gotta a scaaaaaaary team that ought to be a powerhouse for a good long while.

@cannastop @Shawn

Thank you. And congrats to the Phillies and their fans here (though I have qualms with *other* Philly fans attending those games, but that's a rant on a soapbox for another time)...

Now I will crawl back into my depression hole and try to regroup my excitement for watching playoff baseball without the emotional attachment I had hoped I'd have the rest of the month.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unsurprising, but end of an era regardless.

It's been declining as a percentage of store share for years so I'm a tiny bit surprised it's lasted this long.

23 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Well...it's over.

Ironically enough... Still have Amazon to buy Blu-Rays and DVDs.  Never mind prices, it's been better for overall selection for a very long time now.

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ironically enough... Still have Amazon to buy Blu-Rays and DVDs.  Never mind prices, it's been better for overall selection for a very long time now.

yeah but you still have to wait for it to be shipped. That's always been the drawback.

I think it's sad that physical media is going away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah but you still have to wait for it to be shipped. That's always been the drawback.

I think it's sad that physical media is going away.

100 percent with you, as you've probably seen my repeated posts over the years about this very topic.  Though I don't think it's completely going away. 

One advantage of age is seeing patterns repeat.  While it's not guaranteed, fairly good chance DVD/BR/UHDs will go the way of vinyls and become a boutique item. 

If they haven't already become one.

So while you won't seem many of them in the big box department stores, and the selection will probably contract, there will probably still be a market for them.  Just have to hunt a bit more before they catch on again in various waves ala vinyls.

Won't be too dissimilar to the laserdisc market of the 80s and 90s, really.  That's the hope at least. 

(and plausibly the best case scenario in the short term)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

100 percent with you, as you've probably seen my repeated posts over the years about this very topic.  Though I don't think it's completely going away. 

One advantage of age is seeing patterns repeat.  While it's not guaranteed, fairly good chance DVD/BR/UHDs will go the way of vinyls and become a boutique item. 

So while you won't seem many of them in the big box department stores, and the selection will probably contract, there will probably still be a market for them.  Just have to hunt a bit more before they catch on again in various waves ala vinyls.

Won't be too dissimilar to the laserdisc market of the 80s and 90s, really.  That's the hope at least. 

The biggest issue won't be the death of physical media, it will be everything else that it entails. Mainly the complete annihilation of mid-budget movies now that there's absolutely no physical media sales to back them up post theatrical. Also stuff like director's commentaries and things which used to inform viewers about the making will become extinct compared to the critical condition they are already in. Only big budget movies which can make money back in theatrical worldwide.

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

The biggest issue won't be the death of physical media, it will be everything else that it entails. Mainly the complete annihilation of mid-budget movies now that there's absolutely no physical media sales to back them up post theatrical. Also stuff like director's commentaries and things which used to inform viewers about the making will become extinct compared to the critical condition they are already in. Only big budget movies which can make money back in theatrical worldwide.

For real, the decline of physical media thanks to streaming has arguably been more of an industry harmer than the usual easy targets (comic book movies, etc.) have. The actual enemy in that scenario hiding in plain sight.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos important question for the next couple weeks

Do you support

1) Venomous rival snakes

2) Texas cops

3) Bangers of trashcans

4) Liberty and Freedom and Brotherly Love

(close enough at any rate)

Edited by Porthos
Switched out to music vid version
  • Heart 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I got my COVID and my flu shot today... sad that we have yet another vaccine in COVID but we have to do what we have to do.

In regards to the WTF reaction to this post: I am not anti-VAX. I just think it's sad that COVID happened.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

The "enthusiast" market is absolutely thriving right now, lately it's been an amazing time for physical media collectors. The major studio releases are getting slimmer and worse but your Criterions, Vinegar Syndromes, Kino Lorbers, Umbrellas, etc. are killing it and starting to license out the bigger studio stuff more and more as they shift away from it themselves (for the better).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

I’ve certainly contributed to the decline of it myself but a big part has been having the physical space to keep it all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DAR said:

I’ve certainly contributed to the decline of it myself but a big part has been having the physical space to keep it all.

All the physical space I need. 👍

(okay okay, I know exactly what you mean — some in cabinets, rest in storage [those that haven't been donated, that is])

Edited by Porthos