Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, DeeCee said:

Falcon Heavy first launch window opens at 1:30PM Florida time tomorrow.  Either it goes off like this or it could still be quite spectacular.

Or the launch could be cancelled and rocket might just stand there doing nothing :ph34r:

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

If somebody can name me one show (that’s currently running) that they think will leave a longer lasting stamp on pop-culture than Thrones I’d like to hear it and legit reasons why.

Is the Simpsons a cheat answer ? (Southpark being an other candidate)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Not gonna get into the whole GOT kerfluffle (haven't watched since season 2), but jiminy Christmas, people still watch I LOVE LUCY and that's been around for 60 years. 

Heck I'm 25 years old, and I still watch that show sometimes (it's hilarious), and I was introduced to it via my parents. Some classic series never truly lose popularity. 

• Like 2

Just now, Poe Blankeron said:

SpongeBob SquarePants

Probably the closest, have to say though I forgot that was still running.

On that note I guess you could say the Simpsons too.  But I think both of those shows will be relevant for their seasons over 10 years ago.  They’ve died down in popularity since then.

2 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Not gonna get into the whole GOT kerfluffle (haven't watched since season 2), but jiminy Christmas, people still watch I LOVE LUCY and that's been around for 60 years. 

You literally stopped before the two best seasons wow (well season 6 is also on par with them).

But yeah, there are a few shows on right now that I think will be staples 10-20 years from now.  I don’t think it’ll be the niche stuff (which I like) like Twin Peaks, Unbreakable Kimmy, The Good Place, etc.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Is the Simpsons a cheat answer ? (Southpark being an other candidate)

Yeah, I wasn’t really thinking of Shows like Simpsons or SpongeBob because they were mostly culturally relevant for their early seasons.  I don’t think there’s going to be much revisiting their modern ones.  

But I’d say Thrones will be remembered more than South Park.  

Dunno. Big part of GoT's popularity is the "what's gonna happen" discussion around it. When the shows done, what's gonna be left to talk about?

That being said, the millions of spinoffs they're planning should be enough to keep it in the lexicon by association. Same way as the Marvel movies. Doubt people would still be talking about some of the Phase 1 MCU stuff if the franchise wasn't releasing a new movie every few months.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

You literally stopped before the two best seasons wow (well season 6 is also on par with them).

I've really only seen about a season and a quarter. 

I've read the books -- being intermittently entertained -- but at this point it's such a long delay between books (and there's so many characters, most of whom I'm not that interested in), that I don't know if I'll finish.

I know the show diverges from the book plot. I guess some day I'll catch up. 

edit: you can probably throw LAW & ORDER into the mix, although of course it's not what it once was. 

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Or the launch could be cancelled and rocket might just stand there doing nothing :ph34r:

Then you’ll just have to wait 24 hours till the next launch window. 

After that it hits the government shutdown. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

I've really only seen about a season and a quarter. 

I've read the books -- being intermittently entertained -- but at this point it's such a long delay between books (and there's so many characters, most of whom I'm not that interested in), that I don't know if I'll finish.

I know the show diverges from the book plot. I guess some day I'll catch up. 

Im a bit different than some fans in that I honestly recommend watching the show before reading the books.  They’re not the same, but the books are pretty thick and are deifnitely a commitment to read.  The show has slow parts (especially most of season 5), but cuts a lot of fat, and is overall really engaging.  It makes it easier to go back and read the books to read further into characters and deeper backstory. 

I’d probably suggest just waiting to get back into it until season 8 gets closer.  I think that’s still a year off or so.

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

Im a bit different than some fans in that I honestly recommend watching the show before reading the books.  They’re not the same, but the books are pretty thick and are deifnitely a commitment to read.  The show has slow parts (especially most of season 5), but cuts a lot of fat, and is overall really engaging.  It makes it easier to go back and read the books to read further into characters and deeper backstory. 

I’d probably suggest just waiting to get back into it until season 8 gets closer.  I think that’s still a year off or so.

I mean, I have so much to watch. Probably 80%+ of the book characters I don't care about so it's not like I feel I have to find out what happened to them (by reading).

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

I mean, I have so much to watch. Probably 80%+ of the book characters I don't care about so it's not like I feel I have to find out what happened to them (by reading).

I think it’s fair to say 80% of the book characters don’t make the show (or are limited to small roles):hahaha:

Anways, I don’t think there’s any need to rush to see it all.  You may enjoy seeing it before 8 though simply to be able to partake in the internet shitstorm that’ll happen for the 6 weeks it’s on.

• Like 1

As much as I love roasting TOG, I have to admit I'm kinda in the same boat as him with television, at least when it comes to serialized dramas. I have very little patience nor the time in my busy schedule to pay attention and focus on 45-minute episodes where I have to remember everything that happened in the previous episode. So most of the time, I either ignore them, or watch the first few episodes or seasons, then just abandon them. The only 45-minute show I watch nowadays are American Crime Story (haven't seen Gianni Versace yet, so no spoilers) and This is Us. With comedy shows and cartoons, their 22 minutes and usuallydon't rely on backstory or previous episodes, so I'll take that any day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

As much as I love roasting TOG, I have to admit I'm kinda in the same boat as him with television, at least when it comes to serialized dramas. I have very little patience nor the time in my busy schedule to pay attention and focus on 45-minute episodes where I have to remember everything that happened in the previous episode. So most of the time, I either ignore them, or watch the first few episodes or seasons, then just abandon them. The only 45-minute show I watch nowadays are American Crime Story (haven't seen Gianni Versace yet, so no spoilers) and This is Us. With comedy shows and cartoons, their 22 minutes and usuallydon't rely on backstory or previous episodes, so I'll take that any day.

There’s some great serialized dramas.  My suggestion for watching them is to do it all at once in the summer or a period where your schedule dies down a little.  It’s a great medium and you miss out on a lot of excellent content by skipping out.  Plus, most great drama shows are slower burns so you do have to get past a few slower episodes.

It took me forever to finally sit down and watch Breaking Bad for example, but when I finally did it was definitely worth it.  That one is one is probably an easy one to start with because it has a few bottle episodes, and while there’s lots of intricate details, the cast is limited enough where it’s easy to keep up with.