Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Has there been any middle America movies to do well since American Sniper?

Cause Hollywood keeps trying to fill that niche again.

No, pretty much. Although films of this kind have never really done well in the first place. Zero Dark Thirty and Lone Survivor are the only other exceptions.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Starving for an IP to work is a good way to put it, I mean

Transformers 7 Paramount 6/28/19
Top Gun (2019) Paramount 7/12/19
Untitled Terminator Project Paramount 7/26/19
The SpongeBob Movie Paramount 8/2/19

Holy shit this is bad.

Dont Paramount still get access to all the old CBS produced shows? What haven’t they milked so far?

CSI The Motion Picture? What about 90210? Touched By An Angel? Walker, Texas Ranger? Judge Judy?

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well, I'd say most supers appeal to middle America so they don't need the "extra" movies as much...I mean, good beating evil and heroes vs villains are these same type of movies that middle America used to come out for before we hit this supers renaissance...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Holy shit this is bad.

Dont Paramount still get access to all the old CBS produced shows? What haven’t they milked so far?

CSI The Motion Picture? What about 90210?

It's sad to see one of the two oldest studiios in Hollywood (tied with Universal with an age of 105) sink to such lows.......

I am betting everyday the Paramount execs curse the name of Disney for grabbing Marvel Studios out from under their noses....

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, I'd say most supers appeal to middle America so they don't need the "extra" movies as much...I mean, good beating evil and heroes vs villains are these same type of movies that middle America used to come out for before we hit this supers renaissance...

I feel like red states would like DCEU more than anything Star Wars or MCU these days.

I read plenty of alt right resentment for Disney "forcing" diversity meanwhile DCEU Batman is a hard drinking Punisher type and Superman was raised on a small farm in the midwest..

Then again the liberal agenda didn't hurt Avatar, so who knows.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's sad to see one of the two oldest studiios in Hollywood (tied with Universal with an age of 105) sink to such lows.......

I am betting everyday the Paramount execs curse the name of Disney for grabbing Marvel Studios out from under their noses....

Dreamworks going to Universal and not Viacom was crazy. There’s so much content that could’ve been used on Nickelodeon even.

Edited by AJG

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Disney is the guy that steals your first love.

I bet Paramount drives slowly past Disney studios while caressing a picture of Iron Man.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

with Cruise back and some likely amazing visuals thanks to Kosinki directing, I can see Top Gun 2 doing just fine

I’ll be shocked if it stays in that release slot between Spider-Man 2 (take 3) and Lion King. Even Terminator is the same date as the Hobbs spinoff. 

Just now, grim22 said:

I’ll be shocked if it stays in that release slot between Spider-Man 2 (take 3) and Lion King. Even Terminator is the same date as the Hobbs spinoff. 

oh yeah they should definitely move it, mainly so it can get IMAX 3D. Also, lol at Paramount scheduling Terminator just two weeks after

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

Dreamworks going to Universal and not Viacom was crazy. There’s so much content that could’ve been used on Nickelodeon even.

Bad timing. When DreamWorks wasn’t on the market, Paramount had the standing and resources to buy them, when they came on the market, Paramount was in the middle of an awful year and the succession fight both at Paramount and Viacom meant nothing got done.

• Like 1

Speaking of trailers I saw the bad mom Christmas red band trailer before death of Stalin last weekend.  Gotta say the Brazilian wax and twerking on santa jokes kinda fell flat with an audience full of 50 year old dudes who read the observer and listen to radio 4.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Speaking of trailers I saw the bad mom Christmas red band trailer before death of Stalin last weekend.  Gotta say the Brazilian wax and twerking on santa jokes kinda fell flat with an audience full of 50 year old dudes who read the observer and listen to radio 4.

The Observer is still published AND there’s a Radio 4?

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Need to go in the moderate success type, but: Hacksaw ridge/hell or high water did very well in middle america for what those movies were:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/24/movies/oscars-state-by-state-movie-popularity.html

Maybe Sully ?

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/sully-box-office-tom-hanks-clint-eastwood-1201863958/

Moreover, Goldstein tells Variety that the film is over-indexing in the Midwest by 16%

Not really a middle america movie, but one that played well with Eastwood+Hanks bringing almost every old people in the US on board (need Denzel+Streep+Dwayne Johnson and you have everyone). I think arrival did well in the mid-west and really terrible in the south-east.

I am going loosely here in what could have work, but in general, Patriot Day, Deepwater horizon, American assassin, Logan Lucky, Only The Brave, Gifted, Mag 7, everything Micheal Bay do, etc... nothing goes on to reproduce that American Sniper success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Welp, Only The Brave and Thank You is the one-two punch of Miles Teller feelz-inducing real life adult dramas that didn't really land strong at the box office. Good for him that he's getting good roles, but it's evident that they're not bringing in dem ticket sales. Sad.

Suburbicon is a disaster. Clearly, George Clooney should not be allowed to direct again.

It seems like TYFYS could have went direct to tv, but because of Miles Teller they can get 2000 locations with it.  Also, since Universal is distributing this, look for it to keep showtimes on it's third weekend as that Saturday, November 11th, is Veterans Day.  Next week, TYFS has to go against Thor and BM2.  The third weekend is Orient Express and Daddy's Home 2.  Unfortunately, I do not think this will hold well against Thor next weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

It seems like TYFYS could have went direct to tv, but because of Miles Teller they can get 2000 locations with it.  Also, since Universal is distributing this, look for it to keep showtimes on it's third weekend as that Saturday, November 11th, is Veterans Day.  Next week, TYFS has to go against Thor and BM2.  The third weekend is Orient Express and Daddy's Home 2.  Unfortunately, I do not think this will hold well against Thor next weekend. 

Also, Miles Teller was in Bleed for This, War Dogs, and Divergent 3 last year!