grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

4 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

I hope this is good, but fear it won't be. The trailer makes me think it's another 'ethnic' movie aimed at the lowest common denominator.

nominee for worst post of 2018?

• Like 12

5 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

I hope this is good, but fear it won't be. The trailer makes me think it's another 'ethnic' movie aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Post is cancer. Holy shit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What else could have he said, colored people movie ?

Asian? 

Ethnic doesn’t mean people of colour but people kept saying it like it does. It made no sense. It’s like calling black people “urban”. People don’t regularly do that publicly anymore, that’s why it’s so strange.

This could be an “ethnic” movie:

MV5BMDI5ZWJhOWItYTlhOC00YWNhLTlkNzctNDU5

Edited by AJG

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Asian? 

Ethnic doesn’t mean people of colour.

This could be an “ethnic” movie:

It was a joke attempt (at trying to find a worst way to say it).

But he didn't want to say an other Asian movie (how many of those we got), more a "movie trying to appeal at a undeserved minority demo", suggesting those being easier to bring into theater just by the fact they are on screen for a rare time and the movie does not need to be good to work, getting less budget/effort into them.

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

2018?

This is a deep affront to me

Why? Seems to me that a lot of movies that feature minority-race casts often aim at the LCD, by which I mean they try to cop cheap laughs or drama by playing on racial/ethnic stereotypes. This goes back to the so-called "blaxploitation" movies of the early 1970s. They traffic in racist caricatures and reinforce those ideas in the minds of majority-race (i.e., white) people already so inclined - basically the most ignorant kind. They are racially/socially harmful in that regard. 

Hope CRA isn't that kind of film, but I fear it might be. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1