grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What, only $20M OW? Legs better be looong! Though I feel like only my family and guys in this thread are excited about this. My friends give me funny looks and some of them are Asian! 

How's the buzz in real life around you?

$20M would actually put it in line with films like The Help and We're the Millers which also opened on Wednesdays in August and legged it out to $100M+ ($150M+, even). Given how dead the box office is gonna be the next few weeks after this opens, I wouldn't rule out absurd staying power if reviews and WOM end up as strong as they're looking to be.

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

We only got the trailer once since it came out and there was a mumble or two, I hope WB picks up the advertising for this.

WB can't force theaters to play the trailer with movies unless it's a WB movie. The trailer will also only play with compatible movies, won't play with the Blockbusters for example, only with movies like Oceans 8 and so on. Theaters can play it with any movie they want but will normally stick to those guidelines as well.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WB can't force theaters to play the trailer with movies unless it's a WB movie. The trailer will also only play with compatible movies, won't play with the Blockbusters for example, only with movies like Oceans 8 and so on. Theaters can play it with any movie they want but will normally stick to those guidelines as well.

Yeah, but there's still a lack of stuff elsewhere. Kwan is doing more on his own IG than WB (The movie twitter is okay), there's been showings for AsAm influencers apparently and I follow people in that community who are also confused at the lack of stuff.

& This made me check if Hotel Artemis was a WB movie.

• Like 1

Oddly enough my AMC didn’t play the trailer for this before Mamma Mia! I was kinda shocked because they played quite a few trailers directed at the female audience (obviously) 

Now that I think about it, I only saw the trailer for this before Ocean’s 8. 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$20M would actually put it in line with films like The Help and We're the Millers which also opened on Wednesdays in August and legged it out to $100M+ ($150M+, even). Given how dead the box office is gonna be the next few weeks after this opens, I wouldn't rule out absurd staying power if reviews and WOM end up as strong as they're looking to be.

Ah, OK! Encouraging comparisons! :)