aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

I don't recall any body predict a 2.2 multiplier for CW after its first weekend, but it happens anyway. Sure you can find reasons like "it's depressing"(really?) or "it's too fanboy centric” etc, but that's not something you would say beforehand.

So I don't think Thor 3 has secured 300m, especially considering that JL will appear in two weeks and takes a lot of box office from it. 

• Like 2

Just now, jf8350143 said:

I don't recall any body predict a 2.2 multiplier for CW after its first weekend, but it happens anyway. Sure you can find reasons like "it's depressing"(really?) or "it's too fanboy centric” etc, but that's not something you would say beforehand.

So I don't think Thor 3 has secured 300m, especially considering that JL will appear in two weeks and takes a lot of box office from it. 

If you look at the OW thread for Civil War quite a lot of people were predicting it wouldn't have too great legs.

3 hours ago, Mulder said:

If you look at the OW thread for Civil War quite a lot of people were predicting it wouldn't have too great legs.

But no one thought it would have 2.2 legs.

Just now, The Last baumer said:

But no one thought it would have 2.2 legs.

I'm sure a few people did but the statement that nobody thought Civil War would have bad legs isn't correct, when tbh it was quite the contrary where most people I saw in that thread thought Civil War wouldn't have good legs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm sure a few people did but the statement that nobody thought Civil War would have bad legs isn't correct, when tbh it was quite the contrary where most people I saw in that thread thought Civil War wouldn't have good legs.

Wouldn't have good legs is different from a 2.2 multiplier, the latter one has almost gone into the awful area.

2.2 is one of the worst multiplier of MCU, if not the worst(need to check the numbers). And CW is one of the most praised MCU movie.

Thor 3 has a chance of getting 300m, a pretty good one actually, but far from secured.

Edited by jf8350143

2 minutes ago, jf8350143 said:

Wouldn't have good legs is different from a 2.2 multiplier, the latter one has almost gone into the awful area.

2.2 is one of the worst multiplier of MCU, if not the worst(need to check the numbers). And CW is one of the most praised MCU movie.

Civil War opened north to $180m. It's a Captain America film that grossed $1B and $400m+ dom.

If you think that multipliers are absolutes to judge a film box office, you are doing this one wrong. Both IM3 and CA3 had excellent box office runs, despite their multipliers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No fucking way this gets the same multiplier as Thor 2 (2.4).

That makes no sense at all.

Also the funniest MCU movies have the best legs in MCU.

I'm with iJack.

We're looking at GotG2 or SMH legs at the very minimum.

Eh, I think a little over SMH or GOTG2 is probably around the ceiling for Thor's legs.

It's definitely more fanboy centric compared to those, and it has some major direct competition.  The movie is also harder to follow if you either haven't seen as many MCU movies or don't remember them that well.

CW had 2.278 legs.  I expected more but I think the darker tone and bittersweet ending had an effect.  That and it also had a HUGE opening with HUGE previews.

Thor 3 will have Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and if it keeps enough theaters - and I don't see why not since there aren't a lot of significant wide openers this year in Nov/early Dec. - it has a chance at some mid-late December boosted legs.  

Even TDW (a sequel) that didn't have very good WOM did 2.42 multi with two $400m films opening the same month.

I think 2.5 - 2.6 legs for Thor 3 is reasonable.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Civil War didn't have a bad 2.2 multiplier became it was bad, people just rushed to see it on the first weekend. It still made over 400M DOM.

CW just had a concept like a TV series finale - nearly everyone really interested rushed to see it, but the actual movie just didnt have a good rewatch factor. In fact, it drags on many parts and you HAD to watch every other marvel movie before it to enjoy it. The 2.2 multi was to be expected.

• Like 3

DS had Sat bump of 35.3% from true Friday and Sun drop of 32.7%.

Using those holds 47.5 Friday gives Thor3,

14.5 + 33 + 44.65 + 30.05 = 122.2 ow

DS not being a sequel should be more back loaded though. Mid-high teens seems to be a safe bet.

Edited by a2knet

32 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Civil War opened north to $180m. It's a Captain America film that grossed $1B and $400m+ dom.

If you think that multipliers are absolutes to judge a film box office, you are doing this one wrong. Both IM3 and CA3 had excellent box office runs, despite their multipliers.

Since when did I say CW's box office was bad? I just says its multiplier is bad, and if a movie like CW could get a 2.27 multiplier, there is a chance that Thor 3's leg is not as good as people expect. 

CW is front loaded partly because of it's huge opening, but it has almost all of the Avengers in it, while Thor 3 only has 2, so a 120 opening can also be considered quite big, and it might influence its multiplier. There is also Justice League coming in two weeks, which will hit its box office hard. 

Again, Thor 3 has a pretty big chance of hitting 300m, but it is far from secured. 

Generally I find that civil war was well praised by superhero fans however to more casual viewers they were not as amused.

I think personally civil war should have gone even darker with a death or two to give the film real impact. I think that what stopped the film from really being an A level film.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Generally I find that civil war was well praised by superhero fans however to more casual viewers they were not as amused.

I think personally civil war should have gone even darker with a death or two to give the film real impact. I think that what stopped the film from really being an A level film.

Totally agreed. While the movie was good and all, and the ending has grown on me since I saw it for the 1st time (and it really dawned on me that the overall theme of the film is forgiveness and denial of thoughts of revenge or ressent, thus making its ending feel more bittersweet and powerful for me), it really needed someone to die for the whole Civil WAR aspect to truly come together, and to feel like it had fully blown impact on the overall MCU. As it is, they played it a little too safe for the movie to feel as otherworldly as originally praised.

I still dig it plenty, though. But The Winter Soldier is tbe better Cap movie, and the original Avengers is still the best of those flicks.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think we are forgetting the real hero here. Helped in creating Cap and Tony. Two single most influential people in MCU.

Image result for howard stark gif

• Like 1