The Panda

Top Grossing Movies of 2019 Predicts

On 12/31/2018 at 3:20 PM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

No Detective Pikachu is a bit alarming if it wants to make the top 5 or the predictions that we all are craving but they still have a few months to fix it.

1.) $85M-$90M OW/$105M-$115M 4 day/$235M-$260M, I do expect a hefty amount overseas though say $600M-$750M as the release dates will be more spread out. The main reason why I suspect a domestic underperformance is primarily the competitive landscape for families, Disney having to juggle marketing for Endgame, TS4 and Lion King with it and when Disney juggles marketing, one or two suffers, and tepid response not mention the track record of Guy Ritchie. If this opened in say November 2019 or 2020 I'd be much more optimistic.

2.) Sure, if I'm wrong I'm wrong and will accept my mistake

3.) The average multiple for a Disney live action remake is about 3.17x, the average Memorial Day opener 4 day represents 44.33% when using the top 10. My guess is Aladdin will have a multiple of 2.76x-2.89x but I suspect the first two weekend drops should be harsh, as I suspect they'll be fans on OW and Pets 2 which even though will drop from the first, is the first fully animated major movie since Dragon 3, and will steal a significant amount of it's family audiences but summer weekdays will help as after Pets 2 it's smooth sailing.

Aladdin's got a much bigger draw and much bigger fanbase to only make $85-$90 million OW. Memorial Day "flops" have nothing to do with the date. It has everything to do with the actual movies that came out at that time. When it came out Aladdin was the IT movie. Everyone was talking about it. That includes teenagers who are now 35-45 years old and have kids. If we are suspecting Lion King to make in the $600's-$700's million domestic then Aladdin should make at LEAST 50% of that.

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin's got a much bigger draw and much bigger fanbase to only make $85-$90 million OW. Memorial Day "flops" have nothing to do with the date. It has everything to do with the actual movies that came out at that time. When it came out Aladdin was the IT movie. Everyone was talking about it. That includes teenagers who are now 35-45 years old and have kids. If we are suspecting Lion King to make in the $600's-$700's million domestic then Aladdin should make at LEAST 50% of that.

Here’s the thing though Lion King likely has the advantage of being the main event of the summer, where everything around it is trapped in a cage with it. There was a time when we believed the Star Wars fanbase would give Solo a minimum of $100M OW. 

Aladdin again faces three family films aiming at or have a good chance for $300M (Pikachu, Pets 2, and Toy Story 4) during the May-June period and the fact that the teaser isn’t extremely well received not to mention between Disney having to juggle three major blockbusters during the summer to market, I’d think they would focus more on TS4 and TLK. I’m not denying it won’t do well and there is evidently some hype behind it but the competition surrounding it along with other issues is why I think a domestic underperformance is likely.

39 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I think the predictions for Aladdin are spot on. The teaser left a lot to be desired and was met with a mixed reaction and the first look from EW was met with almost unanimous negativity. All people seem to be talking about is how Genie isn't blue, Naomi Scott doesn't look anything like Jasmine, and how Mena isn't attractive enough to be Aladdin (I've seen plenty of those complaints). Couple all that with it being sandwiched between several family films, being directed by Guy Ritchie (hit or miss) and the memorial day curse for Disney, and it's not looking too good. 

For once BOT isn't overestimating a Disney film. 

• Like 1

What spurred my data table post earlier today was that IGN article that thinks 2019 is:

$5.352B Total Top 10 Domestic Box Office
$535.2M Average Top 10 Domestic Box Office
$493.8M Median Top 10 Domestic Box Office

Projected 2018 Domestic Box Office Top 10

1. Star Wars: Episode IX - $886.2 million
2. Avengers: Endgame - $824.7 million
3. Toy Story 4 - $658.2 million
4. Captain Marvel - $627.5 million
5. Frozen 2 - $548.7 million
6. The Lion King $438.9 million
7. Jumanji Sequel - $386.3 million
8. IT Chapter 2 - $356.8 million
9. Godzilla: King of Monsters - $318.4 million
10. Hobbs & Shaw: $306.2 million

Total/Average/Median seemed unlikely to me based on history.

dYCHr0h.png

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

WORLDWIDE TOP 10 IN ORDER

Avengers: Endgame
The Lion King
Star Wars: Episode 9
Frozen 2
Toy Story 4
Alita: Battle Angel
Pokemon Detective Pikachu
Captain Marvel
Untitled Terminator Project
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Shazam!

Welcome to the prelim to decade of the Jim

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

WORLDWIDE TOP 10 IN ORDER

Avengers: Endgame
The Lion King
Star Wars: Episode 9
Frozen 2
Toy Story 4
Alita: Battle Angel
Pokemon Detective Pikachu
Captain Marvel
Untitled Terminator Project
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Shazam!

Welcome to the prelim to decade of the Jim

:apocalypse:

Alita, Pikachu, and Terminator in the top 10 WW for 2019? I mean-everyone's entitle to their own opinion BUT there does come a point where things are just silly and foolish if meant to be serious. BUT at least the top 5, #8 and #10 are reasonable. Btw, there are 11 on that list.

Edited by jedijake

51 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Alita, Pikachu, and Terminator in the top 10 WW for 2019? I mean-everyone's entitle to their own opinion BUT there does come a point where things are just silly and foolish if meant to be serious. BUT at least the top 5, #8 and #10 are reasonable. Btw, there are 11 on that list.

I don’t see why Pikachu won’t make the top 10 worldwide.

I'm always prepared to be surprised, but it looks like we're in for another slow year at the box office, because nothing is jumping out at me as a hit, particularly in the first quarter. It gets a bit better as you go, but not by a lot.

I'm also ready for this 15 year pattern of two down years followed by an up year (in admissions) to end, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Notice also how each up year doesn't quite reach the heights of the previous one. There's a constant, inexorable downward trend :whosad:

2MSnSnK.png

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I'm also ready for this 15 year pattern of two down years followed by an up year (in admissions) to end, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Notice also how each up year doesn't quite reach the heights of the previous one. There's a constant, inexorable downward trend :whosad:

2MSnSnK.png

That's uncanny.....

Ok. Here’s my predicts for this year. Though they will be worldwide grosses.

1. The Lion King = 2.1B

2. Avengers: Endgame = $2.0B

3. Star Wars: EP9 = $1.27B

4. Frozen 2 = $1.17B

5. Jumanji 3 = $1.15B

6. Pets 2 = $1.13B

7. Spiderman: Far from Home = $1.070B

8. Hobbs & Shaw = $1.065B

9. Captain Marvel = $1.040B

10. Toy Story 4 = $1.035B

11. Detective Pikachu = $1.030B

12. Aladdin = $970M

13. Godzilla: King of the Monsters = $910M

14. How to Train Your Dragon 3 = $780M

15. It: Chapter 2 = $770M

16. Dumbo = $730M

17. Shazam = $710M

18. Joker = $680M

19. Men In Black: International = $615M

20. ??? = ???M

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Yeah I think the years of 2012, 2015 and 2018 had blockbuster that really were well loved by audiences compared to other years imo. 

2015 was a year so big where Ultron made 1.4 million and ended up 4th while in 2016 and 2017 it would have won the year handily. 

9 hours ago, lab276 said:

2MSnSnK.png

Might be unrelated but maybe it’s because people are not going to the movies as much? Netflix is really changing the industry. In just their first week, Birbox generated 45M views and The Christmas Chronicles generates 20M. Translating and rounding those numbers to box office would be something like 450M and 200M OW.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lab276 said:

I'm always prepared to be surprised, but it looks like we're in for another slow year at the box office, because nothing is jumping out at me as a hit, particularly in the first quarter. It gets a bit better as you go, but not by a lot.

I'm guessing that is meant to be sarcastic.

14 hours ago, jedijake said:

Pikachu trailer had a strong buzz here in Brazil and I think  in all Latin America too,  chance of Detective Pikachu being top 10 worldwide in 2019 is big,  and also...

• Like 1