DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

The circumstances are really unfortunate, but it's a given Snyder is out with the DCEU at this point if not Warner in general. They literally have no reason to trust him with anything anymore.

He should go back to making "smaller" (ala his very solid Dawn of the Dead remake) stuff and just leave the blockbuster world behind.

Serious Excel for a moment.

From 2008 through 2016, Batman was the biggest character on Earth. Yes there were bigger brands, but no solo character film would out open a Batman film. Now in late 2017, we have a Batman film featuring Superman and red hot Wonder Woman possibly opening below $100m.

When/if done well, solo Batman films will challenge $1.5b on their own.

Why not protect this mega character instead of running it into the ground? Bizarre strategic decision. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think those are on this level...   this is a movie if done right could have challenged Avengers and Jurassic World numbers.

Would have required totally different reactions to BVS and SS, if not requiring no BVS all together. 

BVS blew the novelty factor of JL & everyone knows it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sal said:

I'm not sure that'd be the case.  I don't personally care for a lot of Whedon's work (he's especially bad writing women or people who aren't white guys in general) but reviews were just as bad with Snyder's films and at the very least the positive aspect of most of the reviews is that the tone is lighter or more fun in these than in the previous two Snyder directed movies).  The individual character personalities fact that it's 'fun' is apparently the only saving grace with most critics and likely will be with the audience too.

Man of Steel's reviews were A LOT better than this..   Batman vs. Superman suffered from studio tampering.  The director's cut is pretty well received.  If this was a Snyder only project I believe it would have gotten maybe more hate but also more love. 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

From 2008 through 2016, Batman was the biggest character on Earth. Yes there were bigger brands, but no solo character film would out open a Batman film. Now in late 2017, we have a Batman film featuring Superman and red hot Wonder Woman possibly opening below $100m.

Why not protect this mega character instead of running it into the ground? Bizarre strategic decision. 

Eh I think Iron Man took over in terms of movie superhero king since 2012 budd. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

Just now, excel1 said:

1.5 billion?? What freaking load of bull. No Batman film has come close to even 1.2 million, but a rebooted Batman film will outgrossed TDK and TDKR?

Put the pipe down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

They literally have no reason to trust him with anything anymore.

I think that's going a bit far. I see no reason why he can't make a profitable, mid-budget flick there. Just keep him away from tentpoles. 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I realize that heads already rolled at Warner Bros.  but I think if this number holds up then heads should roll again.   This would be maybe not the biggest bomb but definitely the most disappointing box office result of the last twenty years. 

The CEO should be fired. Guess we shall see how it goes. 

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Christopher Nolan is not coming back nor should he.  The guy produced and directed a shoddy final movie that he was contractually obligated to do and everyone involved couldn't wait to be done with and it showed.   

What? TDKR is the strongest thematically of the 3. TDK is easily the most flawed of the films if one ignores Ledger and Eckhart's insane performances. Nolan himself was obsessed with the TDKR storyline to the point he canceled his Howard Hughes film. Only thing Nolan disliked about TDKR was inability to bring back HL.

So at this point, we know JL is not the DC’s Avengers that it was expected to be, but The League might even struggle to surpass The Revengers? 

Strange times. 

• Like 13

hottake: MJ1 and MJ2 should be good comps for JL. MJ2 even went through the SW7 effect which shaved a few million. Both those movies managed around 2.7x which most folks are not expecting out of JL, but comparing with drops of MJ1/MJ2 can give an idea of the final multiplier. If JL opens sub-120m I am gonna hold out optimistically for a 2.5x+ multi at least.

Just now, Sam said:

So at this point, we know JL is not the DC’s Avengers that it was expected to be, but The League might even struggle to surpass The Revengers? 

Strange times. 

And Thor's solo outings have basically been the overlooked child (give or take The Incredible Hulk) of the MCU until now. What a time to be alive.

On 5/28/2016 at 9:47 PM, MattW said:

770  (270+500)  -  Justice League

I'll bask in my early-early justice league prediction

(though to be fair most of my other predictions are terrible, except DM3 which was solid and GotG was decent too)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

I think that's going a bit far. I see no reason why he can't make a profitable, mid-budget flick there. Just keep him away from tentpoles. 

He really only was allowed to finish one film,  that being Man of Steel.  They didn't like BvS and chopped it to hell.  They are probably right that it would have still been lukewarm but they made it worse.  Then they let Whedon change the oil and rotate the tires on Justice League.  If they didn't have confidence in Snyder's vision then he should have been gone after BvS.  

there's no reason why they couldn't have delayed it. This isn't all on Snyder. It's not all on Whedon.  It's mostly WB themselves.

They probably should've put Wondy front and center in the marketing. She's a bigger deal than the JL at this point. Hiding Supes was great and all, but the general audience had no idea he's in the movie. To many, Supes is the JL. The heart and soul of the team. They ripped the heart and soul out marketing the film. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

1.5 billion?? What freaking load of bull. No Batman film has come close to even 1.2 million, but a rebooted Batman film will outgrossed TDK and TDKR?

Put the pipe down.

Wrong.

1) Neither of those had 3D

2) International was not close to what it is now in 2008

3) TDKR domestic suffered greatly from shooting

The Dark Knight was the 2nd biggest domestic hit of all time and 3rd biggest globally at time of release. It remains the most attended of all superhero films. The Dark Knight Rises would almost certainly set the OW attendance record had the shooting not occurred & it would have lasted 3 and 1/2 years.

With inflation, each of those films hits:

TDK: $670M dom/$1.25B ww

TDKR: $514m dom/$1.27B ww

That is without 3D and IMAX growth. TDKR lost dozens of millions from the shooting killing much of the opening weekend buzz among GA