DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This could have all been avoided by doing one simple thing, and that was not allowing the Snyder's to manipulate the system to have Justice League start production right when BvS opened and forcing them to keep him.  

If they wait and see how BvS does before jumping into production on Justice League, then the obvious choice would have been to fire Snyder and choose another director.  Justice League moves to March of 2018 exactly 2 years after BvS and they make a boat load of money coming off the success of Wonder Woman.  

The sad irony is the Snyder's had to leave anyways due to tragedy and they ended up with a Frankenstein monster of a film. 

All of this can be easily salvaged if they are smart.  The path to that is publicly get rid of Snyder in every capacity.  Take some time off from Batman.  Get the next 2-3 films to work on their own and come back with a real plan.  Start production on Man of Steel 2 and announce Suicide Squad 2 going into production.  Then after all of this get a new actor for Batman, get that solo movie made and only after all that is done do you come back to Justice League.  

In reality, I think I would forget Justice League for a long time as people don't give a shit enough to force it.  Do the single films and maybe a few cheaper options and then re-visit Justice League about 5 years from now.  

Are tbise preview numbers looking accurate? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Was there ever a question that Wonder Woman would outgross Justice League?

I think a few users considered it, especially since Wonder Woman had "god-like" legs, but plenty assumed that Justice League would open much bigger and still gross more. Now it looks like it might barely open above Wonder Woman. Whew! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

So...if JL opens sub 100, what the hell was it going to do if WW hadn't made any course corrections in the franchise?

60m? :redcapes:

I don't think Wonder Woman had any effect on this movie. It's no secret that it was pretty much in the can when that film opened.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Wonder Woman had any effect on this movie. It's no secret that it was pretty much in the can when that film opened.

Her presence in the film coming right off of such a massive triumph with her solo film surely had to add some interest in JL though. I can't imagine it had zero effect at all. The character/portrayal is the big cultural phenomenon of the year.

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Man of Steel is unapologetically one of my favorite superhero films but Snyder had trouble with BvS and it looks like JL. Best for him to move on

also, embarrassing potential midnight numbers. This should have broken the November record 

I'm rewatching MoS right now. I have such a love hate relationship with it, but if they could have built upon and improve the framework instead of rushing Batman and JL, I think things would have turned out better. The elements were there with the right changes. 

• Like 2

Christopher Nolan is not coming back nor should he.  The guy produced and directed a shoddy final movie that he was contractually obligated to do and everyone involved couldn't wait to be done with and it showed.  

He is better used making ground breaking cinema that is far more interesting than anything in the DC Universe.  Don't trap him in this bullshit because Warner Bros. wants money.  

• Like 8

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Her presence in the film coming right off of such a massive triumph with her solo film surely had to add some interest in JL though. I can't imagine it had zero effect at all. 

This was sold more as an ensemble though (Batman gets front and center on the film's poster) and BvS already tapped into the novelty of seeing DC's Holy Trinity together on the big screen (with the other three heroes in this being characters that audiences weren't even properly introduced to, and thus had no reason to care about). It's really just astounding how poorly managed this whole thing has been.

• Like 1

I doubt if it will match Thor3's preview to OW multiplier, mostly because of MCU strong Sats and that Thor3 was no slouch in the wom department. But even with Thor3 multiplier, 13-14m previews (using a higher number than Deadline) give 110-119m ow. But giving a lesser multiplier than Thor3 115m seems to be around the most it could do realistically as of now unless the previews are wrong by a big margin like it happened with SMH.

With 115m ow it would need 2.60x for 300m dom.

Edited by a2knet