DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, GambitPool said:

They probably should've put Wondy front and center in the marketing. She's a bigger deal than the JL at this point. Hiding Supes was great and all, but the general audience had no idea he's in the movie. To many, Supes is the JL. The heart and soul of the team. They ripped the heart and soul out marketing the film. 

All because they shoehorned the "Death of Superman" plotline in the last 15 minutes of BvS only to resolve it in the last 5 seconds of the movie. Talk about an unnecessary creative choice.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Christopher Nolan is not coming back nor should he.  The guy produced and directed a shoddy final movie that he was contractually obligated to do and everyone involved couldn't wait to be done with and it showed.  

But TDKR is the best of the three... :thinking: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Eh I think Iron Man took over in terms of movie superhero king since 2012 budd. 

How so? His 2013 film, with 3D bonus and 1 year inflation, barely topped Batman's 2012 opening which was severely muted by the shooting.

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I think that's going a bit far. I see no reason why he can't make a profitable, mid-budget flick there. Just keep him away from tentpoles. 

His non-DCEU movies have had a way of playing down to less than their expectations. He makes a movie for $50 million, it'll probably do $40 million.

Maybe another studio will give him a chance, but M. Night has had to revive his career with Universal, not the Paramount and Sony where his big budget movies were made.

They could have easily just made a Justice League: War movie..  ripped it off scene by scene and everyone probably would have left happy.  I actually thought that was what they were doing after the reception of BvS.  

I said "okay, they can just rip from the animated series with JL and it'll be fine.."   Welp,  they fucked that up too.  

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We'll see about that when RDJ is no longer playing the part. Spider-Man is still a hell of a lot more popular than any of them if we just look at the kids merchandise. 

Yet Iron Man-Spider-man combo this summer wasn't anything special and barely topped THOR solo.

Perhaps audiences are beginning to get over these team up films. 

5 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

1.5 billion?? What freaking load of bull. No Batman film has come close to even 1.2 million, but a rebooted Batman film will outgrossed TDK and TDKR?

Put the pipe down.

Also not sure even Dark Knight that went has well has it could, did 1 billion in 2008 without a China release but it was not a big market then.

It is a bit below 1.5 billion in 2017 performance.

Not a perfect metric but

Global Box office :

2008: 27.7b

2016: 38.6b

Using the ratio in market size, that is a 1.4B performance and now the competition is quite big in the genre and Batman was used a lot recently before that new iteration.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We'll see about that when RDJ is no longer playing the part. Spider-Man is still a hell of a lot more popular than any of them if we just look at the kids merchandise. 

That is a good point, in 2012 batman was making 1 billion in is solo movie, Iron-Man without RDJ/MCU brand helping it ? Maybe, maybe not....

A bit like Wolverine, Iron-Man has a superheroes is totally untested vs the many recasted, often giant Box office that are Batman and Spiderman.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And Thor's solo outings have basically been the overlooked child (give or take The Incredible Hulk) of the MCU until now. What a time to be alive.

I wouldn't say TDW is overlooked. Its generally considered the worst, or one of the worst, MCU films.

4 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

They probably should've put Wondy front and center in the marketing. She's a bigger deal than the JL at this point. Hiding Supes was great and all, but the general audience had no idea he's in the movie. To many, Supes is the JL. The heart and soul of the team. They ripped the heart and soul out marketing the film. 

I used to feel it was ok to play hide and seek with Sup in the marketing but feel differently now of course. Though I am ok they didn't over-use Wondy. Don't what her goodwill to be taken by JL too much. They did have promos towards the end where she says "on my lead" or something and the promo ends with that.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Also not sure even Dark Knight that went has well has it could, did 1 billion in 2008 without a China release but it was not a big market then.

It is a bit below 1.5 billion in 2017 performance.

Not a perfect metric but

Global Box office :

2008: 27.7b

2016: 38.6b

Using the ratio in market size, that is a 1.4B performance and now the competition is quite big in the genre and Batman was used a lot recently before that new iteration.

That is a good point, in 2012 batman was making 1 billion in is solo movie, Iron-Man without RDJ/MCU brand helping it ? Maybe, maybe not....

A bit like Wolverine, Iron-Man has a superheroes is totally untested vs the many recasted, often giant Box office that are Batman and Spiderman.

Well here’s another metric for you. A ‘Batman’ film featuring Supes and WW didn’t even come close to 1 billion. You can’t just pull metrics out of your ass to fit your own narrative.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

They could have easily just made a Justice League: War movie..  ripped it off scene by scene and everyone probably would have left happy.  I actually thought that was what they were doing after the reception of BvS.  

I said "okay, they can just rip from the animated series with JL and it'll be fine.."   Welp,  they fucked that up too.  

I'm legitimately shocked we didn't get that. War was a story tailored made for the big screen. It was written specifically as a blockbuster. It had the action, easy to follow plot, character moments, and comedy for a first JL movie. The comic was a freaking template!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Christopher Nolan is not coming back nor should he.  The guy produced and directed a shoddy final movie that he was contractually obligated to do and everyone involved couldn't wait to be done with and it showed.  

He is better used making ground breaking cinema that is far more interesting than anything in the DC Universe.  Don't trap him in this bullshit because Warner Bros. wants money.  

That sound suspicious to me and not what I have seen on screen at all.

Could be biased because it is my favorite of the 3 (I suspect that if I ever rewatch it one a second time that could change), but that movie had a lot of work.

I also have an hard time that:

1) Nolan was obligated to do it contractually

2) That even if he was, WB would have enforced the contract after is dark Knight/Inception giant success, no way they sue him just for not wanting a movie (it is 2 year's of someone life, he need to want to do it, no ?) and automatically loose him for ever to a competitor studio after that.

Got into a lot of trouble with those giant Imax camera, writing the movies themselves, 1000 extra in a fight scenes, planes stunts etc.... not something you tend to do when you just do it to be over with it.

Edited by Barnack

No, I think Infinity War is still going to be HUUUUUGGGEE  but there is some truth that comic book films have reached their peak.  I don't see IW reaching the heights of The Avengers.   Once Downey Jr. is gone that's going to create a big hole in their lineup too.  No Marvel movie has surpassed a billion without Downey.  Spider-Man didn't surpass a billion with him. 

I do think audiences are looking for something different.  Thor at least looked different.  Deadpool was different.  Logan was different.  Wonder Woman was different.  

There's only so many times you can "save the world" especially given how one dimensional all these villains are.    I'd love to see a Batman film get back to being detective work,very grounded and low key within Gotham.  Maybe just one villain.  Small scale stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Wrong.

1) Neither of those had 3D

2) International was not close to what it is now in 2008

3) TDKR domestic suffered greatly from shooting

The Dark Knight was the 2nd biggest domestic hit of all time and 3rd biggest globally at time of release. It remains the most attended of all superhero films. The Dark Knight Rises would almost certainly set the OW attendance record had the shooting not occurred & it would have lasted 3 and 1/2 years.

With inflation, each of those films hits:

TDK: $670M dom/$1.25B ww

TDKR: $514m dom/$1.27B ww

That is without 3D and IMAX growth. TDKR lost dozens of millions from the shooting killing much of the opening weekend buzz among GA

The Avengers is the most attended film of all time world wide. Hands down.