DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

That's a great Saturday for Wonder.  A surprise hit but it makes sense, I think the book is relatively popular and it's the kind of sentimental film that can play well (especially when people are likely looking for happier messages).

JL's decrease is fine but still disappointing given the only other superhero film from this year it'll open higher than is Logan (which was rated R).  Speaking of Logan, that's pretty much JL's target now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I am still going to project for this to reach 300M.  There has to be alot of kids that want to see this.

You think this is going to have a 3+ multi? 

Only 7 movies out of all MCU/DCEU/Nolan/Fox/Sony SH movies (with friday opening) have managed a 3 or bigger multi. Nearly All of these movies have some of the highest reviews ever for SH movies and are considered the best of their genre. You think JL, which already is showing signs of frontloadedness, with terrible reviews is gonna be one of them?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

Also, we have never really seen an upcoming Thanksgiving holiday weekend like this where we just get one Wide release.   Capacity will be high!!!

Do you know if movies like Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Darkest Hour or Call Me By Your Name are expanding though?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My sold out showing (in one of the largest auditoriums, which it switched with Justice League from yesterday) for Wonder tonight collectively applauded when it ended. I won't be surprised if this legs it out to become the next surprise $150M+ grosser.

BP nomination?? :)

21 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I am still going to project for this to reach 300M.  There has to be alot of kids that want to see this.

Well here's a few comparisons for big movies that opened the weekend before Thanksgiving in the last few years:

2016: Fantastic Beasts: . . . 2nd weekend drop: -39.4% 3rd weekend drop: -59.8%. 3.15x multiplier.
2015: Hunger Games: MJ2: 2nd weekend drop: -49.3% 3rd weekend drop: -63.7%. 2.74x multiplier.
2014: Hunger Games: MJ1: 2nd weekend drop: -53.3% 3rd weekend drop: -61.3%. 2.77x multiplier.
2013: Hunger Games: CF: . 2nd weekend drop: -53.1% 3rd weekend drop: -64.7%. 2.69x multiplier.

They did all have solid to great legs though... Verdict is still out on JL's legs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Do you know if movies like Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Darkest Hour or Call Me By Your Name are expanding though?

No, but I think that some of these movies in the top 15 are directly responsible for the current disparity in the marketplace.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't see it going that far but it might be enough to land an Adapted Screenplay nom considering how dead that category is.

Yeah, I don't see it going that far either. Maybe a nomination for Roberts in addition to Screenplay? I'd like to see her again at the academy awards.

There are some BP nom whispers I think comparing this to The Blind Side, also it's true that there's always an only mildly positive reviewed film nominated like Lion, American Sniper, Theory of Everything each year, but we've already got Darkest Hour filling that slot.