DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If they actually lose money on it, heads will roll. The idea of a Justice League movie in 2017 losing money shouldn't even be a possibility. 

Agreed, though a reassessment of utterly insane budgets wouldn't hurt either. Material limits can often spur creativity.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Umm, epic bombs?  Once in a lifetime disasters?  Castastrophic failures?  Absolute trainwrecks?

Just b/c we've had some more epic disasters, that doesn't mean JL's opening weekend wasn't bad.  It's a bad OW - its future legs are now about a mitigation of how bad, not a celebration of how good...and I say that as a supers fan not beholden to any company or fight:)...You can't have this high a budget and open this low without it being a problem opening...I mean even some Sat/Sun recovery gets this movie maybe struggling into the low 100s (at best - I'm not expecting that with the power the 2 other premier openers are having with families today)...that's not good any way it's spun...

To me, a bad opening is one that, absent sturdy legs we have no reason to think will develop, basically ensures that the film will lose money for the studio.

A $95m OW for JL in no way ensures that. I'd say there's still at least a 50-50 chances it ends up making money, like BvS did.

There is a serious hater-perspective around here. 

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Agreed, though a reassessment of utterly insane budgets wouldn't hurt either. Material limits can often spur creativity.

How was its budget $300m when it looked so fucking ugly?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The saddest part is that they spent 300m+ on it that they may not make a profit on and yet it's one of the ugliest looking tentpoles in recent years. I mean it's just all around L's here. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@Krissykins I can see why one wouldn't like the superhero stuff (except Logan, I just don't see anyone thinking that as shit), but you thought that Baby Driver, Dunkirk, War For The Planet Of The Apes and Split were "shit"?

Yeah, cause anything that's not edgy or pretentious can easily go into the shit category.

Fuck it if most movie goers and critics actually liked superhero movies this year and the studios put effort into them.

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Objective means "on its own terms". Even for a movie that cost $250m, a $95m opening weekend is pretty good. It's not great, but it's nowhere near a disaster.

By your logic, if i won $10m in  a lottery tomorrow i shouldn't feel good about it, because hell, that pales in comparison to the $50m someone else won the week before. 

That logic makes even less sense than your theory of 95M being a good opening for Justice League. What does winning 10M after paying a $2 ticket (maybe a few $2 tickets at best) have to do with opening to 95M when your budget is 300M and every single one of your predecessors grossed over 100 - even the 1st ever solo movie based on Wonder fucking Woman, who is in this movie herself alongside Batman, Superman and a bunch of other characters? What will it take for you to realize that JL is, plain and simple, not doing good and you once again failed at overballing a non-Disney property just to try to make Disney look bad??? JL over Thor and Coco combined... try JL under Thor by itself.

Just now, SteveJaros said:

To me, a bad opening is one that, absent sturdy legs we have no reason to think will develop, basically ensures that the film will lose money for the studio.

A $95m OW for JL in no way ensures that. I'd say there's still at least a 50-50 chances it ends up making money, like BvS did.

There is a serious hater-perspective around here. 

If break even is $750M...and I'm betting it is...it's gonna be a struggle to get there without a big international pick up...and that's just break even...

Look, I'm a huge fan...it pains me to write these words, but they are true...

To imagine JL might be a just break even movie is a disaster of my own expectations...and it might not even break even...

I mean, other movies lose money, but not ones you think are literally money in the bank...and JL just should have been money in the bank...

Just shows you can't take fans for granted - 2 movies that didn't cost more than $20M each are taking huge cuts out of JL's family audience this weekend and both will be in the green by Thanksgiving weekend...and these 2 movies almost no one talked about or considered...til we saw this weekend play out...between being zero sum with Thor and now losing families and women over 25, it's just gone from bad to worse...

Now you know...if you're a super, don't open against a family movie...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Objective means "on its own terms". Even for a movie that cost $250m, a $95m opening weekend is pretty good. It's not great, but it's nowhere near a disaster.

By your logic, if i won $10m in  a lottery tomorrow i shouldn't feel good about it, because hell, that pales in comparison to the $50m someone else won the week before. 

For a movie that cost 300m (most recent reports), plus another 150m in marketing, which would necessitate a break even point of around 800m; No, 95m is not a good opening. Extrapolate that opening and you get a domestic run that will end around 250m, and overseas isn't looking like it will make up the balance.

Nice try at spin, though.

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Would you still support the Scream series considering they where produced by the Weinstein’s and they made a lot of money off the series.

Producers aren’t on screen and in my face throughout. And technically it was produced by Bob. 

They didnt have any creative input.

13 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Winning 10m in the lottery is awesome.   But not really so awesome if you bought 15m worth of lottery tickets to do it.

• Like 8

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

While there have been bigger box office bombs in the history of cinema, there has never been a property of this magnitude to flop in this fashion.

I would say this is the biggest surefire property to perform so terribly. Other flops have been bigger but have also been understandable - either the concepts were totally unproven or seemed very dodgy to begin with. 

This is a film starring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, each of whom have now had highly successful solo films. 

I always laughed when the JL trailer came before a movie this year. Like, the movie looked SO fake, it wasnt even funny. It reminded me heavily of the prequels level of Greenscreen-shitfuckery.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Just now, Diana Prince said:

Judging by this weekend, if JL sold like it did on NY, it would have opened in the same range as BvS. The sales have been really good today in NY judging by the AMC chain. Obviously judging by the hugely disappointing numbers, NY is an anomaly.

NY sells well for everything, as population density here is crazy.