aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

8 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I have Black Panther doing 145/392 right now.

That's pretty much exactly what GOTG2 did (146.5/390, 2.66x multiplier).

I think BP could have a better multi being a non-sequel if it's breakout but don't think it can come anywhere close to 145 ow.

Guessing 105 ow / 2.9x / 305 dom (DS did 86 ow/ 2.7x / 232 dom).

I've seen Titanic only once theatrically: on Good Friday 2012, when it was re-released in 3D.

But I can only conservatively estimate that I've seen it... I dunno... 25? 30? times in total. I own it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray, and I honestly consider it a point of short-sighted shame that I probably agreed to throwing out the case that held the two VHS tapes years and years and years ago.

I would claim some level of guilt for loving a film whose oft-cited flaws are as legitimate as Titanic's are. Yes, the dialogue is hokey, the acting is relatively amateurish (though I would argue that the naivete that DiCaprio and Winslet both display fits each of their characters perfectly), and it's not as well-developed (L.A. Confidential), well-written (Good Will Hunting), well-acted (Boogie Nights), or hard-hitting (The Sweet Hereafter) as other films of its year. All that being said, it has such strong and enduring nostalgic value that I know I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it to pieces.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I've seen Titanic only once theatrically: on Good Friday 2012, when it was re-released in 3D.

But I can only conservatively estimate that I've seen it... I dunno... 25? 30? times in total. I own it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray, and I honestly consider it a point of short-sighted shame that I probably agreed to throwing out the case that held the two VHS tapes years and years and years ago.

I would claim some level of guilt for loving a film whose oft-cited flaws are as legitimate as Titanic's are. Yes, the dialogue is hokey, the acting is relatively amateurish (though I would argue that the naivete that DiCaprio and Winslet both display fits each of their characters perfectly), and it's not as well-developed (L.A. Confidential), well-written (Good Will Hunting), well-acted (Boogie Nights), or hard-hitting (The Sweet Hereafter) as other films of its year. All that being said, it has such strong and enduring nostalgic value that I know I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it to pieces.

I first watched it in theater in 2012 re-release, and watched another 4 times in cinema after that, most beautiful and poetically tragic experience ever in cinema, come out from theater in tear with my friends, such a powerful emotional blockbuster! only an [mod edit] would hate it.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

23 is not the right number with 6.3 Fri IMO.

It should have a 90%+ jump on Sat.

12 (90%)

7.8 (-35%)

= 26.1 (-48%)

And a bigger Sat than 12m won't be surprising either, along with a Sunday drop closer to 32% opposed to 35% that I used above.

I expect the Sunday drop to be very small, just based on last week.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I expect the Sunday drop to be very small, just based on last week.

yeah i went a bit conservative to see how 26m is the floor. 27+ should happen and Sunday drop is likely to be closer to 30% than 35%.

I'm the asshole that doesn't love Titanic, I guess :rofl:  Granted, I have a bad taste for it since I 1st watched it when I was like, what, 7 years old? Maybe it's childhood stubbornness from my part. And by no means it's a bad movie, of course. But I was bored in the 1st half. Didn't really care about the Jack/Rose romance tbh, and I only fell for it near the end of the film. Production values are legendary, though, especially for 1997. The score and the atmosphere are stunning too. And pretty much everything from when the ship hits the iceberg (SPOILERZ LOL) is entertaining.

Still not huge on the film, though. Probably one of my least favorite Cameron films, alongside Avatar.

But anyway, phenomenal hold for Coco, very good for Thor, Wonder, CMBYN and Disaster Artist, not so great for JL, and a bit disappointing for Shape Of Water.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I think Fox may be pushing Three Billboards a little too far too fast. By comparison, The Descendants got only a slight extension over the post-Thanksgiving weekend six years ago. Despite the film's salt-of-the-earth setting and sensibilities, the fact that it's a dark comedy that mines humor from some strange places makes it an odd duck in mainstream multiplexes. I get the sense that it's going to need Oscar nominations at its back and more time to build word-of-mouth to reach its highest potential outside of the areas it hit over Thanksgiving.

Then again, it hasn't been doing as hot as expected on the awards circuit as of yet, so...

They probably wanted to get its wide expansion out of the way so they could shift their focus to The Shape of Water's expansion. It'll be getting a second wind when the Oscar nominations come in anyway.

Speaking of which, The Shape of Water (and The Disaster Artist too - $50K PTA from 19 theaters, wow) are starting with great numbers, but Call Me by Your Name is still impressing the most with a nearly $70K PTA in its second weekend and making almost $1M in 10 days from just 4 theaters. Damn.

Wonder Wheel isn't doing so bad considering the weak reviews and zero buzz, but it's still on track to become Woody's lowest-grossing film since Cassandra's Dream almost a decade ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I absolutely would have gone to see Titanic again this weekend if it had run in my area.

It's still hard to believe that its 20th anniversary hits later this month. 

I saw Titanic yesterday at my local AMC "Dolby Cinema" in 2D. The alleged advances of "Dolby Vision" missed me, as the picture quality, while excellent, didn't seem to be any better than the other times I've seen it - I saw it on its release day in 1997, one other time during its original run, and in 3D five years ago as well.

The Dolby Atmos sound was exceptional though, and the movie itself is still pretty spectacular. Plus, as i was the only one there at the 12 noon showing, I had a de facto private screening. 

Thanks for sharing your memories. Titanic  was indeed massive and culturally dominant during its original run. This is an example of where the adjusted dollars are useful. The nominal dollars say that movies like Avatar and TFA, and heck, Jurassic World, were the equivalent or better at the box office than Titanic, but none of that is true. Titanic is the biggest DOM box office film of the past 35 years, since ET at least. Not just in terms of dollars but also cultural impact, no film since ET has "felt" as big as Titanic was during the first half of 1998.

Edited by SteveJaros

First off, I am more interested in the actuals Monday than the projected for the weekend.

I'm interested to see if Coco has another insane Sunday hold. Though a 27M second weekend would be excellent. 

On the Cameron front, i'm another one of the wierdos that didn't like Titanic or Avatar.

I feel asleep watching Titanic, one of the most boring movies i've ever seen, especially the first act.

Avatar just didn't do much for me. The visuals were nice, but if you take away the 3D is a mediocre story with mediocre acting.

Loved his action films though. i'd probably rank them the same way as MCKillswitch