Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

I would consider trying MoviePass if it came to Canada. The other options aren't convenient/easy enough (Sinemia) or don't exist here (AMC).

10 bucks for 3 movies a month is honestly perfect for me. I don't need any other perks or add-ons - I don't buy theatre food/drinks (too expensive).

Peace,

Mike

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

LOL, now MoviePass is re-enrolling subscribers who canceled and forbidding them from canceling again....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/moviepass-renewing-past-subscribers/

LOL they did it to me. If need be I'll notify Wells Fargo first thing in the morning to suspend any charges from them. I'm not gonna continue paying for this nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Definitely don't feel guilty about getting my $95 back now. That is some shady shit, bordering on criminal.

Evidently they put in a clause that immunized themselves from class action lawsuits back in January, but there's surely got to be a way to get them for this.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just opened up the app to see if I could see anything with MoviePass and the only movie available is Slender Man. :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

MoviePass:

fx animated GIF

Poor you. The only movie I'm allowed to see is Mission: Impossible...yay me?

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

LOL they did it to me. If need be I'll notify Wells Fargo first thing in the morning to suspend any charges from them. I'm not gonna continue paying for this nonsense.

I feel like you could take legal action about that

44 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I feel like you could take legal action about that

At this point the only thing that matters is how much they CTAd in the fine print

I should probably check my own account and make sure they haven't pulled that shit with me.

Edited by tribefan695

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Poor you. The only movie I'm allowed to see is Mission: Impossible...yay me?

Same. The theater has 27 screens, even accounting for a few movies being shown a few times that is crazy.

I'll be curious to see what it looks like on the 15th when alleged changes go into affect making it more like it used to be with the 3 film/month rule. 

Edit: I just checked 4 other theater in my local area, it's MI:F or nothing!! 

Edited by Captain Craig

45 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Can shareholders really sue a company because they lost money? Isn't that kind of the risk when you invest in stocks?

Yes misleading public announcement by a company management of a public company is probably even illegal under securities laws:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/17/240.10b-5

It shall be unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, by the use of any means or instrumentality of interstate commerce, or of the mails or of any facility

(a) To employ any device, scheme, or artifice to defraud,

(b) To make any untrue statement of a material fact or to omit to state a material fact necessary in order to make the statements made, in the light of the circumstances under which they were made, not misleading, or

(c) To engage in any act, practice, or course of business which operates or would operate as a fraud or deceit upon any person,

Say when they said that selling metadata about moviegoers was making that pricepoint logical was false and misleading, it was illegal to do so.

Must be hard to prove taht those statement were made by someone that had actual knowledge they were false and misleading too. A defense of the type, we thought we could disrupt enough to catch deals with studios and theater chain to get a cut on the revenues and even if we could not say so in public, investor knew that it was all about that should work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

From the article:

Despite press releases touting MoviePass’ subscriber growth, the suit contends its business model was unsustainable and that it was inevitable that the parent company Helios would “run out of cash” or lose so much money as to raise questions about whether it could remain a viable business.

“MoviePass’ business model was not sustainable because there was no reasonable basis to believe MoviePass could monetize the model to a degree that could be maintained before being too buried in debt to survive,” wrote attorney Mark Levine on behalf of Braxton. (Read the full suit here.)

Uhhh... yeah.  And any shareholder that did any amount of due diligence would have figured that out BEFORE investing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyLL said:

From the article:

Despite press releases touting MoviePass’ subscriber growth, the suit contends its business model was unsustainable and that it was inevitable that the parent company Helios would “run out of cash” or lose so much money as to raise questions about whether it could remain a viable business.

“MoviePass’ business model was not sustainable because there was no reasonable basis to believe MoviePass could monetize the model to a degree that could be maintained before being too buried in debt to survive,” wrote attorney Mark Levine on behalf of Braxton. (Read the full suit here.)

Uhhh... yeah.  And any shareholder that did any amount of due diligence would have figured that out BEFORE investing.

You know, someone made a nice penny on buying these stocks a year ago, and selling them a few months ago. I regret I did not.