CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

29 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I could pick out a bunch of Twitter reactions from people who loved The Last Jedi, too. What you can't deny is that its drop from A New Hope would've been seen as pretty catastrophic in today's age, despite having a significantly bigger opening. Whatever the real "consensus" was, its performance surely would've been freaking people out.

At the time, sequels usually did only a fraction of the original. Look at the drop from Jaws to Jaws 2. ESB was actually considered a miracle by some because of how massive it was for a sequel(180 Million was a LOT of money in 1980). The film critic Desmond Ryan from my local paper(The Philly Inquirer) even wrote an article entitled(I think) Empire has Renewed Hollywood's Attitude towards sequels.

• Like 1

The trailers for my showing were just kind of odd. It was some low budget looking high school volleyball movie I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, an Aardman animated caveman film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, a live action cave man and wolf film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, Mortal Engines, Alita, JW, and IW. Only IW got a reaction and it was huge with tons of clapping/cheering throughout the whole trailer. Crickets for everything else, JW included. 

So the same friend who said the prequels were bad because Rey Finn and Poe weren't in them absolutely loathes return of the Jedi. Said he won't even finish it

"at least 4 and 5 had nothing to do with the prequels. Now it's all about anakin or Vader or whatever the fuck his name is it's so stupid"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The trailers for my showing were just kind of odd. It was some low budget looking high school volleyball movie I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, an Aardman animated caveman film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, a live action cave man and wolf film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, Mortal Engines, Alita, JW, and IW. Only IW got a reaction and it was huge with tons of clapping/cheering throughout the whole trailer. Crickets for everything else, JW included. 

Dunno what that is

Early Man

ALPHA, Sony's latest flop

Hopefully I get Mortal Engines on Sunday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wonder Midget said:

At the time, sequels usually did only a fraction of the original. Look at the drop from Jaws to Jaws 2. ESB was actually considered a miracle by some because of how massive it was for a sequel(180 Million was a LOT of money in 1980). The film critic Desmond Ryan from my local paper(The Philly Inquirer) even wrote an article entitled(I think) Empire has Renewed Hollywood's Attitude towards sequels.

Yeah. OT is a poor comparison. So is PT due to people's reaction to TPM.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ah yes, that's what those two were called. Lord almighty did Alpha look like a bomb. 

Given it's Sony's only future release slated for IMAX, I'm bound to get the trailer again :kitschjob: It's such a shitty trailer, and everyone knows it.

Speaking of trailers, stalker report time! @Poe Blankeron

8:

The Commuter (American Assassin, Kingsman, American Made, Blade Runner, The Foreigner, Only the Brave, Thank You for Your Service, Murder on the Orient Express)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, POTC, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Dunkirk, Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League)

7:

Downsizing (mother!, Battle of the Sexes, Only the Brave, Thank You for Your Service, Suburbicon, Murder on the Orient Express, Lady Bird)

6:

Pitch Perfect 3 (Baby Driver, Despicable Me, Big Sick, Girls Trip, Battle of the Sexes, Happy Death Day)

5:

The Greatest Showman (The House, Despicable Me, Kingsman, Murder on the Orient Express, Wonder)

4:

Darkest Hour (Atomic Blonde, The Snowman, Thank You for Your Service, Wonder)

Father Figures (American Made, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day, Suburbicon)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Ninjago, Kingsman, Justice League, Wonder)

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blade Runner, Geostorm, Thank You for Your Service, Thor: Ragnarok)

The Shape of Water (Apes, mother!, Battle of the Sexes, Lady Bird)

3:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok)

Annihilation (Blade Runner, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day)

Black Panther (Valerian, The Dark Tower, Thor: Ragnarok)

Death Wish (Detroit, It, American Assassin)

Den of Thieves (The Foreigner, Happy Death Day, Geostorm)

Ferdinand (Captain Underpants, Cars, Coco)

Molly’s Game (The Foreigner, The Snowman, Lady Bird)

Ready Player One (It, Blade Runner 2049, Justice League)

Red Sparrow (Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Blade Runner 2049, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian, Murder on the Orient Express, Coco)

2 and 1:

Spoiler

2:

12 Strong (Thank You for Your Service, Murder on the Orient Express)

All the Money in the World (American Made, Only the Brave)

Early Man (Coco, Wonder)

Fifty Shades Freed (Murder on the Orient Express, Lady Bird)

Hostiles (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Lady Bird)

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Happy Death Day, Geostorm)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

Proud Mary (Girls Trip, Happy Death Day)

Sherlock Gnomes (Coco, Wonder)

Tomb Raider (Geostorm, Justice League)

Untitled Deadpool Sequel (Justice League, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

1:

The Current War (Wind River)

Duck Duck Goose (Ninjago)

Forever My Girl (Wonder)

I, Tonya (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

Incredibles 2 (Coco)

Insidious: The Last Key (Happy Death Day)

Isle of Dogs (Ninjago)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

The Party (Lady Bird)

Peter Rabbit (Coco)

Phantom Thread (Suburbicon)

The Post (Murder on the Orient Express)

Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Wonder)

Smallfoot (Coco)

Super Troopers 2 (Kingsman)

Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built (Suburbicon)

• Thanks 1