CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just am playing Devil's Advocate, but why wouldn't this apply to marketing Black Panther and Infinity War together literally in front of the same movie like TLJ? I see Black Panther in the IW trailer but I don't even really know that much yet about the character. Heck I heard someone next to me last night say, "What the fuck is up with Thor's eye?" Obviously they missed Thor 3. 

Do you think Solo would confuse people about TLJ that much? I honestly thought Rogue One confused people a lot more. Or maybe this is a case where Disney really would be better off just saying sorry everyone else can fuck off December is Star Wars month forever, deal with it, we need a year to market our movies. :P

I'm sure there's some confusion between the GA for BP and IW.  

They made a 5th Pirates movie? LOL just joking, I saw it. But ugh. 

When people experience "fatigue" on franchises, I swear it's not usually because of actual fatigue, it's more of a case that the thing didn't really deserve to be a franchise anyway. Transformers -- I will always defend this -- is a really good movie. THE FIRST ONE. It was a ton of fun. I think everyone enjoyed it for what it was. I just don't think anyone really felt we needed a bunch more of them, but obviously success leads to sequels, and people care less and less, and pretty soon we have dinosaur Transformers and the nonsense of the last film. Same with Pirates, it was a bizarre concept the first time around, go make a movie about a theme park ride, sounded like an outright disaster of an idea and I laughed at it. Then I saw the movie and damn if they didn't make a great adventure film that just worked on every level. But did I need to see a bunch more Pirates movies? Not really, and the results have been predictably lackluster as the "franchise" gets longer in the tooth. I can't believe I've seen every Pirates movie. I haven't thought a single one is good besides the first. I have no idea why I have seen them all in theaters. I joke that I'm a movie slut, but maybe that's no joke.

Versus something like Harry Potter, which while I'm not a huge Harry Potter guy myself, I personally thought the movies continued to increase in quality from 4-8. I enjoyed the first, way more than I thought, wasn't a fan of 2 and 3 but they were still pretty good, and then by the end they were really great movies. Everyone knew they weren't making the sequels "for the money" though, it was because the story required the number of movies they made. As long as you keep audiences engaged you can avoid fatigue, I think, but if people know you're making sequels purely for the cash grab, with the primary motivation being "the last one made a large profit," people see right through that. 

Just now, DARth DAR said:

I'm sure there's some confusion between the GA for BP and IW.  

That seems like a stretch. Also marketing two movies like BP and IW at the same time is a much different scenario than say marketing two Avengers films or two SW films at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

They made a 5th Pirates movie? LOL just joking, I saw it. But ugh. 

When people experience "fatigue" on franchises, I swear it's not usually because of actual fatigue, it's more of a case that the thing didn't really deserve to be a franchise anyway. Transformers -- I will always defend this -- is a really good movie. THE FIRST ONE. It was a ton of fun. I think everyone enjoyed it for what it was. I just don't think anyone really felt we needed a bunch more of them, but obviously success leads to sequels, and people care less and less, and pretty soon we have dinosaur Transformers and the nonsense of the last film. Same with Pirates, it was a bizarre concept the first time around, go make a movie about a theme park ride, sounded like an outright disaster of an idea and I laughed at it. Then I saw the movie and damn if they didn't make a great adventure film that just worked on every level. But did I need to see a bunch more Pirates movies? Not really, and the results have been predictably lackluster as the "franchise" gets longer in the tooth. I can't believe I've seen every Pirates movie. I haven't thought a single one is good besides the first. I have no idea why I have seen them all in theaters. I joke that I'm a movie slut, but maybe that's no joke.

Versus something like Harry Potter, which while I'm not a huge Harry Potter guy myself, I personally thought the movies continued to increase in quality from 4-8. I enjoyed the first, way more than I thought, wasn't a fan of 2 and 3 but they were still pretty good, and then by the end they were really great movies. Everyone knew they weren't making the sequels "for the money" though, it was because the story required the number of movies they made. As long as you keep audiences engaged you can avoid fatigue, I think, but if people know you're making sequels purely for the cash grab, with the primary motivation being "the last one made a large profit," people see right through that. 

I know you probably put a lot of thought and time in that....and I love the first two Pirates....but I'm not reading that. If there was an audiobook feature, maybe? (someone needs to get on that)

You and Captain Jack Sparrow or whatever his name is should have a contest on who can write the longest posts. His usually involve comic book characters.

Edited by somebody85

12 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just am playing Devil's Advocate, but why wouldn't this apply to marketing Black Panther and Infinity War together literally in front of the same movie like TLJ? I see Black Panther in the IW trailer but I don't even really know that much yet about the character. Heck I heard someone next to me last night say, "What the fuck is up with Thor's eye?" Obviously they missed Thor 3. 

Do you think Solo would confuse people about TLJ that much? I honestly thought Rogue One confused people a lot more. Or maybe this is a case where Disney really would be better off just saying sorry everyone else can fuck off December is Star Wars month forever, deal with it, we need a year to market our movies. :P

Here's the thing.  I don't think it IS confusion.  I think it is stage sharing.

Ever since Disney released the first teaser trailer to TFA at 9am in the morning to scattered theaters across the country on a random November Friday, they have been VERY adverse to sharing the stage for ANYTHING when it comes to teaser/trailer promotion.  The closest they've come is Comic Con 2015 and the BtS sizzle reel for TFA.

Outside of that? They've consistently refused to play the Super Bowl and rub shoulders with all of the other trailers released there or attaching to Big Movies or anything else that has a whiff about Something Else.

Instead they've been either creating their own events and demanding people cover it or they attach it to high profile sporting events where they have the sole spotlight (MNF and the Summer Olympics). 

Attaching it to TLJ made sense.  It'd drum up excitement among skeptical fans.

Except.

Except discussion about the trailer in the entertainment press would be drowned out in all of the reaction to TLJ.

And like hell does Disney want that, apparently.  No.  It looks like if it is coming out in May, they'll wait 'till January (College Football Playoffs) or February (Winter Olympics) to start promoting it.

---

tl;dr:  Disney wants to monopolize the subject of conversation when it comes to promoting SW and doesn't want to share the stage with ANYONE.  Including themselves.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

There's absolutely no evidence that the reception to TLJ is divisive, otherwise it's Saturday number wouldn't be this good. If anything I have more anecdotal evidence that moviegoers love it. I mean the huge crowd at my local theater last night clapped, something I haven't seen in the ten plus years I've going to that theater. You know.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

It seems obvious to move Solo to December....

BUT

If they were going to do that, why hasn't it been announced yet? Even 9 has already been moved and it comes out 19 months after Solo. I think they're using Solo as a test. They're banking on the name and seeing how it plays in May. In the end I believe the goal is to have a Memorial Weekend SW movie and a Christmas Holiday SW movie. 

Just now, GadnukBreakerOfWorlds said:

BUT

If they were going to do that, why hasn't it been announced yet? Even 9 has already been moved and it comes out 19 months after Solo. I think they're using Solo as a test. They're banking on the name and seeing how it plays in May. In the end I believe the goal is to have a Memorial Weekend SW movie and a Christmas Holiday SW movie. 

Disney had the 20th Century Fox thing going and they might be waiting until after the OW for this. There could also be additional issues on set.

It makes no sense to keep it there, that close to IW and everything else.

2 minutes ago, GadnukBreakerOfWorlds said:

BUT

Pretty sure they waited a few weeks after TFA to move RO back to December for "production reasons". Not sure the exact timeline, but it was after TFA opening weekend for sure.

5 minutes ago, GadnukBreakerOfWorlds said:

BUT

Now that's interesting. Well, you never know, I could imagine it.

I do wonder what the "money optimized" path for Star Wars would be. I don't think you can keep releasing a movie every year and hit $500M+ every time, or $700M, or $900M, etc. But could you release two Star Wars movies in a year, when the episode films are done, and have each one do a very respectable $350-450M every time out? Maybe that's the better path, long term. 

Hell if I know, though. I'm a fan, I would watch a new SW movie every week if they had one. One movie a year is nothing. But when you add in the planned TV series in 2019, the franchise is going to grow at least.