CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

8 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Watching AOTC on TNT is making me realize how much I need a McGregor Kenobi spin-off ASAP. I’d take it over Solo any day.

That's always been the most logical spin off with lots of potential, imo, don't know how it's still not even announced. 

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I’m so freaking curious about Solo now. This weekend did it. 

I gave my thoughts in the other thread, but I think a lot of you are underestimating the film in the same way you underestimated Rogue One. I can't read the future, and I am a fanboy, but I also have made pretty damn good predictions for every Star Wars movie thus far ($165M OW / $575M DOM Rogue One was a bit high, but correct multiple). I think Solo will certainly be the lowest grossing and one of the lowest selling Star Wars movies ever, but I think some people are putting that TOO low. I still think $425M is a good prediction. It will lose by quite a ways to Rogue One, but the people who are saying numbers like $300M are acting like it's a different franchise. You're not valuing the brand at all. 

I think for the casual moviegoer, they can connect to the Solo movie so easily. I can tell you based on a lot of time spent at SW forums, die-hard fans aren't that excited about the movie, heck even I wasn't that excited when it was announced. I thought, "Young Han Solo? The fuck? We already have a young Han Solo, he was young in ANH!" But general audiences mostly want a fun time at the movies. IF they can put together a great trailer and marketing campaign, and the movie is fun, it has action, it checks some boxes, etc. you're still talking about a ton of interest in seeing it. And also not to be mean but who cares about the die-hard Star Wars fans? We'll all be there anyway. It's like watching your kid's piano recital or something, you may not want to be there, but you'll certainly be there anyway. Disney knows that. 

I also think Star Wars fans may not be as excited to see Solo, but if it's a really good, fun movie, we'll all still enjoy it and support it. Lowest grossing SW film recently? Yeah, for sure. LOW grossing? Not a chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, please provide any actual statistical evidence that it is "clearly" divisive.  

I have plenty of actual data that it isn't clearly divisive (box office, critics reviews, critics aggregate, ComScore data, Cinemascore grade).  

Not going to let this slide from anyone unless you can submit something to back these claims up that isn't anecdotal.  

You clearly haven't seen much of reviews on youtube then!...And then read comments sections...57% audience score on RT, which is even lower than Justice League from almost 100k viewers is also a strong argument...

1 minute ago, TJHooker said:

You clearly haven't seen much of reviews on youtube then!...And then read comments sections...57% audience score on RT, which is even lower than Justice League from almost 100k viewers is also a strong argument...

all anecdotes, you're falling for the troll meme don't be a fool.

Just now, TJHooker said:

Especially that last part.

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Everyone might need to up their "Solo" predictions after this weekend.   The Branding of Star Wars is unbeatable at this point.   Plus "Solo" puts the Franchise Back in May for the first time since "Sith" and Infinity War would have been out for 3 weeks by then and it has Memorial Day.    I'm not saying it's going to make "Episode" numbers but I think it's going to do good this summer.  

Y'all are now REALLLY tempting me to create my Solo < 400/425* DOM club. :ph34r:

*  Still haven't quite figured which number to go with.  (edit:  Split the difference?  May-Aug: 400 | Nov-Dec 425?  That sounds like an idea. Must think) 

Thought there was no point once Lord and Miller were fired since everyone would be on the pessimism train. Well that, and I wasn't here when the window to create the club first appeared. :P

But with everyone injecting pure uncut Star Wars back into their veins.... 

Well I DO have nearly all of it pre-written elsewhere. Just need to add in the stuff about L&M.

Hmmmm... SO tempting....

Edited by Porthos

5 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

I'll let him take this one.....

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still think the biggest issue with Solo is it not feeling like an SW movie. There won't be the force, lightsabers, jedi, sith, etc. Probably some space battles, but otherwise I feel like it could tread into feeling like any random action movie. 

But there's been some awesome books in the past based off his character and all the bounty hunters. There is a lot of potential if they do it right.

• Like 3

How would they not move Solo? I'm not saying to December, but some of you guys said August would be a good move and I have to agree. The current release date sucks. I don't like it at all. Assuming Deadpool 2 gets an IMAX release (isn't it?) wouldn't that only mean a week of IMAX for Solo? That's terrible. I'm used to watching these movies in IMAX for at least a month. As a fan the release date pisses me off. I used to love May Star Wars, but meh not anymore. 

Still no teaser trailer even, forget a trailer, not even a tiny teaser. If it's still coming in May that's... shocking to me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, please provide any actual statistical evidence that it is "clearly" divisive.  

I have plenty of actual data that it isn't clearly divisive (box office, critics reviews, critics aggregate, ComScore data, Cinemascore grade).  

Not going to let this slide from anyone unless you can submit something to back these claims up that isn't anecdotal.  

But.. but... my friend told me it totally sucked, it's clearly divisive!!!

• Like 1