CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

I hate those people who think Disney bribes critics to give them positive reviews for their movies.

Its ludacris and delusional.

But Jesus Christ, what film did the press see that I didn't? 

I don't even hate the film, I'm just conflicted. 

Someone give me a scarred old man to kill.

I saw The Shape of Water on screener. I don’t even know what I thought of it. Really weird movie that’s for sure. I didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t really like it either. I kind of just thought it was ok. I have no passionate feelings either way, like enjoyed seeing it enough, but didn’t see any reason to rave either. *shrug*

4 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I hate those people who think Disney bribes critics to give them positive reviews for their movies.

Its ludacris and delusional.

But Jesus Christ, what film did the press see that I didn't? 

I don't even hate the film, I'm just conflicted. 

Someone give me a scarred old man to kill.

It's the best Star Wars film.  I'm very irritated the RT score is less than Mad Max: Fury Road's.  

But to answer your question... RT critics judge the movie on the movie.  In theory they are not going to judge the movie on the past movies, books, the EU and so forth.  Even those that disagree with some of the choices the movie made typically believe that the movie itself is extremely well made.  

But this discussion belongs in the spoiler thread.

• Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

*looks over shoulder*

hqdefault.jpg

Mace Windu is establishing his authority, I see. :ph34r:

*looks at the response given to Mace Windu*

winces

he-chose-poorly.jpg

(think I'll leave it at that before AndyLL Mace Windu starts glaring at me. :o:lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

It's the best Star Wars film.  I'm very irritated the RT score is less than Mad Max: Fury Road's.  

But to answer your question... RT critics judge the movie on the movie.  In theory they are not going to judge the movie on the past movies, books, the EU and so forth.  Even those that disagree with some of the choices the movie made typically believe that the movie itself is extremely well made.  

But this discussion belongs in the spoiler thread.

I'll probably move to the spoiler thread but I will add one thing: I'm not a SW fan. I haven't rewatched the films many times, I know jack shit about the EU or books. I just think the film had strange choices and the execution was a mixed bag. 

I enjoyed it and will ponder about it but "extremely well made" is not something Id use to describe this film at all.

Edited by UNDERDOG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Lol well let’s see what the final Sat figure is but still 63+ is a good figure. It’s not down much from TFA, all things considered. Still I was hoping for 65, maybe Deadline jumped the gun. 

Well, yesterday their estimates at that time were a few millions too low as well, so there is some hope ;)

C'mon, we can discuss all day long about TLJ as far as script and choices go, but my interpretation of "extremely well made" is towards direction/cinematography/etc. and that is almost inarguably very well made in this movie. But whatever.

I was about to throw a party over that 65-69 range in the title, but those Deadline numbers immediately set my expectations down again. Bastards. Losers. GAH. Whatever, it's still an amazing Saturday number and an amazing OW number period.

• Like 1