CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Even that one is down a lot from TFA, which was 8.8 this early in release cycle.

Yeah and that's fine. That can happen with films where it's not all played safely. 7.9 I believe. 1/2 and one star I don't.

It's at a 3.9 on Letterboxd which I believe too. All of those make sense.

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:
4 (3) Wonder Lionsgate $5,400,000 -36% 3,047 $1,772   $109,256,738 5
5 (2) Justice League Warner Bros. $4,170,000 -57% 2,702 $1,543   $219,456,347 5

36% drop! Knew it would hold up well during the holidays and overtake JL at some point. Two of the years biggest surprises came from the same week.

Same weekend Justice League underperformed, Wonder soared and beat all expectations. Definitely one of the box office stories of the year. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Even that one is down a lot from TFA, which was 8.8 this early in release cycle.

I believe when TFA came out, IMDb still allowed troll 1 / 10 votes, unless I'm mistaken. They've improved the voting system since then though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Star Wars: The Last Jedi had the 2nd biggest OW of the year (3rd in tickets sold, behind FF8 and a certain movie I won't mention) behind Fast & Furious 8 (it sold around half of the tickets of FF8's OW, FF8 is the biggest OW of all time here).

I would also like to call your attention to My Little Poney which will go down as a legendary bomb here selling just above 1.500 tickets in 4 days in 47 screens.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_14_a_17_dezembro_2017_74255a37a859c3806.pdf

Terrific opening for Star Wars. But the fact that it opened under fucking Fifty Shades Darker is Trashtugal worthy.

MY LITTLE PONY :rofl:  :rofl:  It makes Ninjago look like DM3, Holy Shit.

• Haha 1

So which loses more theaters this week with all the new releases coming? Wonder or JL? Seems one of them would have to? Or both?

You have Jumanji, Pitch Perfect 3 (which looks horrible), The Shape Of Water, Greatest Showman, etc...somethings gotta go.

Edited by somebody85

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Only 13m off from Doctor Strange's total. Stunning box office run. 

Yep! Wonder is doing superb business. Great to see a smaller budgeted film doing that well. 

Wonder was like a mini Blind Side, I'm glad that it and Murder did really well. Shows there is still life in the mid budget films

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Star Wars: The Last Jedi had the 2nd biggest OW of the year here (3rd in tickets sold, behind FF8 and a certain movie I won't mention) behind Fast & Furious 8 (it sold around half of the tickets of FF8's OW, FF8 is the biggest OW of all time here).

I would also like to call your attention to My Little Poney which will go down as a legendary bomb here selling just above 1.500 tickets in 4 days in 47 screens.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_14_a_17_dezembro_2017_74255a37a859c3806.pdf

To be fair MLP (which is another I refuse to watch), it did come out On Demand or was available in digital stores the day of release. At least it was here. 50 Shades wasn't.

That's still awful but audiences made the right choice.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Same weekend Justice League underperformed, Wonder soared and beat all expectations. Definitely one of the box office stories of the year. 

Yeah, no one would have called that happening earlier this year. Maybe JL underperforming but not that much....and not being overtaken immediately by Coco.

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Terrific opening for Star Wars. But the fact that it opened under fucking Fifty Shades Darker is Trashtugal worthy.

MY LITTLE PONY :rofl:  :rofl:  It makes Ninjago look like DM3, Holy Shit.

LMFAO you didn't even needed to check anything :rofl: We are very predictable.

Yeah, hell, My Little Poney opened under frikking BOB THE BUILDER ffs which sold just over 2.200 tickets in 45 screens. That was an 60 minutes long movie!!! LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

maxresdefault.jpg

THIS SHIT OUTOPENED A MY LITTLE PONEY MOVIE OPENING IN THE HEART OF DECEMBER :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I believe when TFA came out, IMDb still allowed troll 1 / 10 votes, unless I'm mistaken. They've improved the voting system since then though. 

There is no way to prevent someone from lying on there. In fact there are probably just as many fake 10's for TLJ as there are fake 1's. Bottom line is it's headed below Revenge of the Sith's 7.6 rating. The current average rating is 7.6 and they are weighting it up to 7.9 by throwing out what they believe are fake votes.

Over time you will also have plenty of people voting it a 7ish or lower who are just regular voters. Every movie goes down over time on there, as we've seen with TFA now at 8.1 after two years of scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

To be fair MLP (which is another I refuse to watch), it did come out On Demand or was available in digital stores the day of release. At least it was here. 50 Shades wasn't.

That's still awful but audiences made the right choice.

It wasn't here. It is a regular theatrical release. It wasn't made available On Demand.

Just now, CJohn said:

It wasn't here. It is a regular theatrical release. It wasn't made available On Demand.

Not very many bronies in Portugal then I guess. Or anyone who would sit in the theater and watch that. Seems like it would attack little girls at least like Bob The Builder would work with families. Guess not. Truly awful.

The obvious but overlooked thing about IMDB and RT votes is that no one cares except the obsessive diehards (and even then, only a subset of that group). It's not even a tempest in a teapot. 

It is literally pointless. Has anyone ever cared about this stuff unless they're trying to win some argument on the internet?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There is no way to prevent someone from lying on there. In fact there are probably just as many fake 10's for TLJ as there are fake 1's. Bottom line is it's headed below Revenge of the Sith's 7.6 rating. The current average rating is 7.6 and they are weighting it up to 7.9 by throwing out what they believe are fake votes.

Over time you will also have plenty of people voting it a 7ish or lower who are just regular voters. Every movie goes down over time on there, as we've seen with TFA now at 8.1 after two years of scrutiny.

We'll see in the coming weeks but I'd bet it finishes in the mid 7s. There's definitely fans pissed off by it and they are the ones more likely to go on IMDB and vote it down (judging by what I used to see of their forums).

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Wonder was like a mini Blind Side, I'm glad that it and Murder did really well. Shows there is still life in the mid budget films

Yeah despite being a fan of most of the comic book films recently it's cool that lower budgeted film still do good business every now and then, since the film market needs diversity. 

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah, no one would have called that happening earlier this year. Maybe JL underperforming but not that much....and not being overtaken immediately by Coco.

JL's box office shocked even me. I didn't see it coming, though there were signs. Honestly I'm glad that films like Coco beat all expectations, given how many people were immediately ready to write them off. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But they've done a better job of sorting out the legit users from the bots is my point. Of course they can't stop the flow of 10 or 1's all the time, but they now weight the average in an attempt to stop the trolls / spam. 

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

LMFAO you didn't even needed to check anything :rofl: We are very predictable.

Yeah, hell, My Little Poney opened under frikking BOB THE BUILDER ffs which sold just over 2.200 tickets in 45 screens. That was an 60 minutes long movie!!! LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

maxresdefault.jpg

THIS SHIT OUTOPENED A MY LITTLE PONEY MOVIE OPENING IN THE HEART OF DECEMBER :rofl:

Yeah, I knew that Fifty Shades was the only other 1M opener of the year besides F8. Good God. Fuck you Portrashgal.

Hey, maybe hardcore Bob The Builder fans rushed to OW to listen to that theme song again :rofl: 

(Tbh the Portuguese version is catchy :ph34r:)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

7 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

The obvious but overlooked thing about IMDB and RT votes is that no one cares except the obsessive diehards (and even then, only a subset of that group). It's not even a tempest in a teapot. 

It is literally pointless. Has anyone ever cared about this stuff unless they're trying to win some argument on the internet?

Precisely. Nobody I know gives a crap and I certainly don't.

4 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

I think it can be helpful in trying to figure out if legs will be great or not.

No one would think based on a bunch of fanboys crying about Mandarin that IM3's legs would suck, but they did suck. There was pretty obvious "letdown" stuff about TDKR on the Internet after it came out and sure enough the legs were nowhere close to TDK. Likewise with Ultron compared to Avengers 1. On and on we could go with this.

Having said all of the above, I am curious to watch the legs on this movie. Should be interesting to see it play out. I will readily eat a ton of crow if this thing pulls a multiplier similar to Force Awakens. Rogue One multi (perhaps even lower) seems more likely.

• Like 1