CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But, it still has not gone up...so while I accept the "Deadline conspiracy theory article" to a point...at some point, as 10K upon 10K verified Facebook users continue to post, the score should go up...but it hasn't...I mean, the votes have gone up about 10K+ votes/day since opening, and it's still the same score...

I mean, at some point, the RT.com score's validity as a reasonable score goes up, and it's not just "anecdotal" anymore...doesn't mean it's exactly how folks feel, but in this circumstance, it does become clear folks think less than the critics think, since the critics were near universal praise...how much less the regular viewers like it vs the critics is still a question based on how much you think folks skewed it, but we've had an additional 53K votes posted since open...and all of those are not "internet haters"...so, there is not "universal" praise from the GA like there was from the critics...

Now, as a side note - B&TB didn't get universal GA praise and it's #2 this year, so you don't need universal praise to sky an enormous total...

I think it's also important to note that the score hasn't gone DOWN either. Something strange has happened to the score, and because it's been tampered with to a large extreme, even now it isn't too be too trusted. And yes, any online poll like this is always anecdotal, it isn't scientific in anyway way. We've had plenty of other sources show us much stronger praise, and the only sources where we've seen such scorn is from easily manipulated polls, like RT, or loud voices on Twitter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But, it still has not gone up...so while I accept the "Deadline conspiracy theory article" to a point...at some point, as 10K upon 10K verified Facebook users continue to post, the score should go up...but it hasn't...I mean, the votes have gone up about 10K+ votes/day since opening, and it's still the same score...

I mean, at some point, the RT.com score's validity as a reasonable score goes up, and it's not just "anecdotal" anymore...doesn't mean it's exactly how folks feel, but in this circumstance, it does become clear folks think less than the critics think, since the critics were near universal praise...how much less the regular viewers like it vs the critics is still a question based on how much you think folks skewed it, but we've had an additional 53K votes posted since open...and all of those are not "internet haters"...so, there is not "universal" praise from the GA like there was from the critics...

Now, as a side note - B&TB didn't get universal GA praise and it's #2 this year, so you don't need universal praise to sky an enormous total...

It's a bot giving out .5 scores that went off message and accidentally started spamming The Shape Of Water with bad SW reviews.  There's a reason RT and MC have been hit harder than IMDB - the IMDB has some protections against spamming and bots that they don't.  It's not 100% but it's far better.  Hence a score around 7.9 instead of 5.6

So, no I'm not giving it any more credence than I'm giving that 4.7/5 92% Jigsaw review on RT

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

A New Hope didn't do $460m either. Just to name one example...

different era. you can go even further back and use gone with the wind too.

when 3-d got big 'newer' movies like nemo re-released. but how many examples in last 10 years (1st release in/after 2007 followed by a decent size 2nd release).

i think a fairer argument against my point would be to say 'kudos to avatar to bring in that new 10m+. not many movies can do that in this day and age'. so can be included.

Edited by a2knet

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Now, as a side note - B&TB didn't get universal GA praise (81% is very good, but it's not great) and it's #2 this year, so you don't need universal praise to sky an enormous total...

Even with a BvS type multiplier of 1.99, Last Jedi would still gross around $440m. This type of movie with such a huge amount of hype was flat out locked for a really large gross no matter what. That kind of horrible 1.99 multiplier is physically impossible this time of year due to the holiday boost every movie receives. Odds are it's going well over $700m.

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Even with a BvS type multiplier of 1.99, Last Jedi would still gross around $440m. This type of movie with such a huge amount of hype was flat out locked for a really large gross no matter what. That kind of horrible 1.99 multiplier is physically impossible this time of year due to the holiday boost every movie receives. Odds are it's going well over $700m.

Like someone else point out, the fact that Star Wars OW is so big, long line, that a lot of people that will see it for sure, will wait for the crazyness to calm down, is maybe an other reason why Star Wars movie tend to have such long legs.

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Oh, I wasn't commenting on its possible BO:)...

I mean, did you see my $231M OW bet...it's Star Wars...it's huge no matter what, especially OW...it's only ever a question of how huge:)...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Oh, I wasn't commenting on its possible BO:)...

I mean, did you see my $231M OW bet...it's Star Wars...it's huge no matter what, especially OW...it's only ever a question of how huge:)...

Yes, I am curious about the legs. I don't think it will reach anywhere close to Force Awakens' 3.78 multiplier, but we will see how it goes. The "A" Cinemascore does not mean they have the same reception. TDKR also got an "A" Cinemascore, same as TDK. Yet the legs dropped off a large amount with the sequel. Same is true for many other franchises.

But heck, even with a large decline in multiplier down to say 3.2, they still reach $707m gross. Disney would be very happy with that. They really can't lose regardless of what it does after this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yes, I am curious about the legs. I don't think it will reach anywhere close to Force Awakens' 3.78 multiplier, but we will see how it goes. The "A" Cinemascore does not mean they have the same reception. TDKR also got an "A" Cinemascore, same as TDK. Yet the legs dropped off a large amount with the sequel. Same is true for many other franchises.

But heck, even with a large decline in multiplier down to say 3.2, they still reach $707m gross. Disney would be very happy with that. They really can't lose regardless of what it does after this weekend.

I have a hard time seeing how it does worse than RO's multiplier of 3.43.

This continues to get trashed by audiences on RT.   I don't understand it.  Even if there were a couple parts that annoyed, there's so much great stuff in there.  I don't know but it doesn't look like this is going to "level off"  which some here were saying.  It just keeps dropping.  56% now.  That's not a few "angry nerds"

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

This continues to get trashed by audiences on RT.   I don't understand it.  Even if there were a couple parts that annoyed, there's so much great stuff in there.  I don't know but it doesn't look like this is going to "level off"  which some here were saying.  It just keeps dropping.  56% now.  That's not a few "angry nerds"

Quite a few angry bots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Just now, cannastop said:

Quite a few angry bots.

like cannastop said, there are reports that a couple angry "fans" set up bots to purposely alter the score on RT

3 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

What are we thinking/hoping for today's numbers? 30-35?

In my dreams. I'm thinking $25M-$26M, which is a 50% or more drop from a $52M Sunday. Subject to change pending actuals.