CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

*SIGH* I've spent years trying to block this COMIC RELIEF from memory and all it takes to bring him back is the title.

latest?cb=20150609092724&path-prefix=pro

I've taught my brain to recognize him as the greatest part of ROTF.

When I saw Battle:LA? I saw Leo. 

Iron Fist? Yes, he's the villain. He's Bakuto.

But really, he's Leo. Forever and always.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's not bots.  I've done some reading around the net and there's a ton of people who have major issues with it.  Major issues that I completely disagree with but I'm seeing this as definitely being a divisive movie. 

It's not 100% in either direction. We already have some evidence that there is a bot since some of the Last Jedi reviews showed up on the Shape of Water page.

But I have seen plenty of legitimately negative reviews out there on numerous websites from real people. It does not seem to have the same euphoric response that Force Awakens received, but maybe I am totally wrong and it will pull a nearly 3.8 multiplier like TFA. We shall see soon enough!

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I've taught my brain to recognize him as the greatest part of ROTF.

When I saw Battle:LA? I saw Leo. 

Iron Fist? Yes, he's the villain. He's Bakuto.

But really, he's Leo. Forever and always.

I do like that the fourth Google link for his character leads to a fanfic love story with him and John Turturro.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I do like that the fourth Google link for his character leads to a fanfic love story with him and John Turturro.

:ohmygod::winomg:

200px-ROTF_LeoSpitz.jpg

John Turturro to Leo: "I am underneath the enemy's scrotum"

009TRF_Ramon_Rodriguez_010.jpg

*5 min later*

009TRF_Ramon_Rodriguez_003.jpg

All his face reactions tells a real story

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not aiming for exact Rogue One drop or assuming Rogue One drop plus extra discount Tuesday effect? 

both. i think ro was one day (or two) deeper into the holidays.

2006 (which admittedly is too far back) had the same config as now and looking at that year 55% would be a good drop.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-12-18&p=.htm

edit: if tlj falls closer to 60%, would expect a 10% tue bump

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

At first I didn't like Last Jedi, but now I'm more ok with it. I give it a 6 or 6,5/10. Second act is a mess and can't be saved. Too long and editing is bad sometimes.

Regarding bots or fake accounts, I don't know. What I do know is that I've read tons of well made posts, well articulated discussions and insanely detailed comments from people who dislike this movie. They can't be dismissed and be replaced by "it's just a bot with 10000 profiles".  That's not how the force works. :)

The user's score is dropping on imdb, google ( hell, even Beyond Skyline's score is higher ! ), metacritic ( 4.9 ) and several other places. So, we can't ignore that and pretend there are bots that are downvoting this movie for fun.

There are trolls, but let's not ignore there are trolls from both sides. If there's a bot downvoting it, then there should be a bot giving it countless 10 grades ). So, it can work both ways.

Why didn't this happen to earlier Star Wars movies? Is there some kind of conspiracy going on? I don't know, but this is the first blockbuster well reviewed by critics that hasn't been loved online. Yeah yeah, it made a lot of money, but so BVS and several other movies did. So, that CinemaScore might mean anything. It sure didn't help Power Rangers 2017 at all ( movie flopped and had that same A on CinemaScore ).

All in all, I know tons of people who loved the movie, and I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, it's very sad rooting against a movie just because you didn't like it and several people liked it. So, I hope the movie performs good ( hell, it's not bad and for sure doesn't deserve zero scores. But it doesn't deserve a 9 or 10 either ). However, there are many people who truly disliked it and are giving reasonable arguments without disrespecting those who liked. So, there's that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

At first I didn't like Last Jedi, but now I'm more ok with it. I give it a 6 or 6,5/10. Second act is a mess and can't be saved. Too long and editing is bad sometimes.

Regarding bots or fake accounts, I don't know. What I do know is that I've read tons of well made posts, well articulated discussions and insanely detailed comments from people who dislike this movie. They can't be dismissed and be replaced by "it's just a bot with 10000 profiles".  That's not how the force works. :)

The user's score is dropping on imdb, google ( hell, even Beyond Skyline's score is higher ! ), metacritic ( 4.9 ) and several other places. So, we can't ignore that and pretend there are bots that are downvoting this movie for fun.

There are trolls, but let's not ignore there are trolls from both sides. If there's a bot downvoting it, then there should be a bot giving it countless 10 grades ). So, it can work both ways.

Why didn't this happen to earlier Star Wars movies? Is there some kind of conspiracy going on? I don't know, but this is the first blockbuster well reviewed by critics that hasn't been loved online. Yeah yeah, it made a lot of money, but so BVS and several other movies did. So, that CinemaScore might mean anything. It sure didn't help Power Rangers 2017 at all ( movie flopped and had that same A on CinemaScore ).

All in all, I know tons of people who loved the movie, and I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, it's very sad rooting against a movie just because you didn't like it and several people liked it. So, I hope the movie performs good ( hell, it's not bad and for sure doesn't deserve zero scores. But it doesn't deserve a 9 or 10 either ). However, there are many people who truly disliked it and are giving reasonable arguments without disrespecting those who liked. So, there's that.

Metacritic was hit by the same people hitting Flixster.

Top Paydates 17-Dec

All TLJ
1-AMC Burbank
2-Regal Irvine Spectrum
3-AMC Lincoln Square NYC
4-Pac Arclight Hollywood
(combined with El Capitan, TCL Chinese, Mega)
5-AMC Disney Springs, Orlando FL
6-AMC Empire 25 NYC
(combined with E-walk #1 and off with the fairies)
7-LMT Megaplex Sth Jordan UT
8-LMT Jordan Commons, Sandy UT
Mormans like TLJ
9-AMC Tysons Courner, Mclean VA
10-CPLX Scotiabank , Toronto ON
11-AMC MEtreon, San Francisco
12-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
13-CM Redwood City CA
14-Pac Arclight Pasadena
15-Pac Sherman Oaks
16-AMC Boston Commons
17-Regal Thorton Place, Seattle
18-Pac TCL Chinese, Hollywood
19-Regal Pinnacle, Knoxville TN
20-Regal LA Live

Ontario Palace + Ontario Mills would rank #2

Top Canada
1-CPLX Scotiabank , Toronto ON,2-CPLX Cinema Banque Montreal,3-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary, 4-CPLX Queensway Etobicoke, 5-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Beyond Skyline is a masterpiece :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Great actual. Still at 220 which is all that matters....though TLJ OW over JL DOM is dead. So close though.

:wintf:How in the hell was it ever close. It always was on track for OW of 220-225 million.

Edited by mredman

44 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is some price that wait 2 year's for that (or 1?) at least a long time, say they would be doing the top 2015 movies list right now.

That would tend to be true, but a couple of things:

1) Main reason, they would dramatically diminish their traffic, I imagine a lot of the traffic is when the movie are new.

2) People movies opinion change a lot over time (didn't like 2001 a space odyssey before, loved it in my last rewatch), we naturally give the most value to our last opinion about a movie, but should we ? Why a particular watch experience be more valuable than others and the latest being the most valuable ?

There is some value and merit on how a movie achieved to make you feel on the ride home the first time, even if they needed to be pumped, a large audience into it, etc... they are experience build & made to be consumed that way very often after all. Would be interesting to have both rating, first hot impression and the cooled down one, both mean something, both have values imo.

I don't expect them to actually do it, mainly because I doubt initial audience rating quality is a top priority for either site, certainly compared to the free publicity they're getting right now.

But the initial impression is never as important as the lasting one for any movie. There may be some academic interest in studying the trend, but as far as a movie historical legacy what people think of a movie ten years from now always matters more than the way they do now.

DAY Rogue One Star Wars: The Force Awakens Star Wars: The Last Jedi
WEEK 1
Fri $71,094,394
- / -
$71,094,394 / 1
$119,119,282
- / -
$119,119,282 / 1
$104,684,491
- / -
$104,684,491 / 1
Sat $46,308,115
-34.9% / -
$117,402,509 / 2
$68,294,204
-42.7% / -
$187,413,486 / 2
$63,993,205
-38.9% / -
$168,677,696 / 2
Sun $37,679,172
-18.6% / -
$155,081,681 / 3
$60,553,189
-11.3% / -
$247,966,675 / 3
$51,331,888
-19.8% / -
$220,009,584 / 3
ADVERTISEMENT (scroll to continue with chart)
Mon $17,596,150
-53.3% / -
$172,677,831 / 4
$40,109,742
-33.8% / -
$288,076,417 / 4
-
Tue $17,582,978
-0.1% / -
$190,260,809 / 5
$37,361,729
-6.9% / -