CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Just now, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

We got a cinemascore yet?

A Cincemascore.  Great Comscore data.  Most sites the score is high for this movie.  Flixster and Metacritic are being attached by trolls so those are misleading (and there are obviously a number of people, including a number of people from this board that dislike the movie for totally legitimate reasons, but those scores are definitely not indicative of the audience reaction IMO).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Of course I'm seeing it again.  Got my tickets for me and a buddy on Sunday morning.  I hope I like it more the second time.  I really do.  I love this series of films and I have never not liked a SW film.  So I hope my second viewing allows me to soak it all in.

I’m sorry Baumer, you are a HUGE SW fan! I’m hoping you enjoy it more next time :) If it makes you feel better I went through the same thing on TFA. I came unglued. I was grumpy and tired and just... pissy... and my GF loved it immediately. She told me yesterday, I had no idea, TFA is her favorite SW movie! She is younger, she hasn’t seen any SW films in theaters before, so she feels it was more her Star Wars. After I saw TFA once the bitchfest commenced as soon as I was home. Like a 20 minute tirade. “What the fuck was up with another Death Star? And why didn’t we get to see Luke more? And what was with Maz?” I went on and on and on. Then I saw TFA the next day and loved it, wasn’t sure what happened that first time but for the first time ever I felt disenfranchised from the saga. I had trouble reading these BOT forums that night, I’m so bummed, I didn’t appreciate the preview number as much because I was stewing over my TFA reaction. I was still rooting for the movie, to an extent, but I couldn’t get into it as much. 

Maybe your second viewing will be more like my second of TFA. You and my GF both though, I was so disappointed today when she told me TLJ was her least favorite SW. She still liked it but it was the only one she didn’t love so far. I’m hoping to convert her. :D

• Like 4

Really hope that this is a movie that audiences learn to like/love more through repeat viewings, as I had a repeat viewing of my own, and yeah, it has problems and all, especially if you do a TFA/TLJ double feature, but what it does so well in deconstruction of the Star Wars mytho while remaining respectful to it is something that I cannot do anything but praise.

A lot of people complained about TFA being the same as A New Hope - they got something completely different, but also not too different that it becomes the prequels, and they complain all the same, so... unless they direct the film, some fans will never be pleased. (And for the record, I'm not talking about everyone here, just the ones whose feet fit in the shoe.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

A Cincemascore.  Great Comscore data.  Most sites the score is high for this movie.  Flixster and Metacritic are being attached by trolls so those are misleading (and there are obviously a number of people, including a number of people from this board that dislike the movie for totally legitimate reasons, but those scores are definitely not indicative of the audience reaction IMO).

I'm glad people are finally coming around to this after screaming about those being obviously manipulated yesterday.  

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I’m sorry Baumer, you are a HUGE SW fan! I’m hoping you enjoy it more next time :) If it makes you feel better I went through the same thing on TFA. I came unglued. I was grumpy and tired and just... pissy... and my GF loved it immediately. She told me yesterday, I had no idea, TFA is her favorite SW movie! She is younger, she hasn’t seen any SW films in theaters before, so she feels it was more her Star Wars. After I saw TFA once the bitchfest commenced as soon as I was home. Like a 20 minute tirade. “What the fuck was up with another Death Star? And why didn’t we get to see Luke more? And what was with Maz?” I went on and on and on. Then I saw TFA the next day and loved it, wasn’t sure what happened that first time but for the first time ever I felt disenfranchised from the saga. I had trouble reading these BOT forums that night, I’m so bummed, I didn’t appreciate the preview number as much because I was stewing over my TFA reaction. I was still rooting for the movie, to an extent, but I couldn’t get into it as much. 

Maybe your second viewing will be more like my second of TFA. You and my GF both though, I was so disappointed today when she told me TLJ was her least favorite SW. She still liked it but it was the only one she didn’t love so far. I’m hoping to convert her. :D

Thanks for this post.  

I'm 46 in two weeks so my love of sW goes back almost 40 years and I can honestly say TFA is on par with the originals, imo.  So I understand where your GF is coming from.  And I hope I can get to where you are now at with TFA.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.  :)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

There must be some hella loud vocal minority complaining about the movie...

Yep. Minority is always very vocal in order to appear bigger in numbers than they are. GA is everything. They aren't nitpicky and TLJ has enough money shots for your buck and emotional beats for them to be extremly happy, come back for repeat viewing and recommend it to others. 

• Like 1