baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing this is heading for a 2nd weekend 33%-40 below TFA while Opening weekend was off by 11%. X-mas and Boxing day pick up some slack but it really shows sign of worse legs already.  

TFA had 75% of students/kids on holidays during its first week. TLJ is on 30% or so.

(RO had something like 40-45% if I’m not mistaken)...

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

backlash for TLJ was so intense among fans, and they are more passionate to hate it and spread the bad buzz than those general public that spread the good buzz....

why the backlash was so harsh? because rian just simply forget or underestimate how people actually like TFA despite being too similar to New hope...it's a movie that move nearly 100m of people into cinema, and gave such a phenomenal nostalgic buzz for public, for sure they will remember clearer for what was happening in TFA...

I think people think this is like any other franchise.

SW Fanbase is far bigger and more mainstream than any other franchise. If they are not happy, that has an effect on box office.

You guys are making it seem MRA or basement dwellers are the only guys not amused. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

So it probably should’ve seen more benefit from discount Tuesdays. 

Maybe, maybe not. The only thing certain is we cannot compare TFA’s and TLJ’s first weeks/weekends due to different calendar (at least not to extent to extrapolate TLJ’s legs).That’s all...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That would imply that discount Tuesday's would've had a greater impact on the number.

I am curious to see how the other movies performed. Some of the family movies were actually up on Monday from last week, so there is at least a small holiday boost in effect already.

I think if it was a random Monday earlier in the Month, Jedi would have dropped 70% or more instead of 58%. 

a review from IMDB on the movie's main page:

haven't watched the film so have removed a coupel of actor names by chance it was spoliery:

And even worse the acting is bad. [actor-name1] delivers some of the dialogue as though [redacted] appearing in The Room with Tommy Wiseau, and [actor-name2] giving the worst Star Wars performance since Jar Jar Binks was strutting his stuff.

Imagine Transformers meets Pacific Rim with the acting of The Room and the storyline to beat all mad storylines and you'll have an idea of the vacuous tepid dull overlong tedious steaming pile of odorous cinema you'll see in a long long time.

I went straight back in to watch it again to make sure it wasn't just me missing the whole point of this film. It wasn't. It really is that bad.

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think people think this is like any other franchise.

SW Fanbase is far bigger and more mainstream than any other franchise. If they are not happy, that has an effect on box office.

You guys are making it seem MRA or basement dwellers are the only guys not amused. 

I don’t think it’s just some random pattern that the second eps in each trilogy have dropped off so much. Sure part of it is because the first have always been phenomenons, but in the case of AotC, by that point there was a significnat backlash in the fanbase against TPM that surely affected Clones. And in ESBs case, the movie was not met with universal praise among the ga at the time of release (or at least according to those who were around to remember it). So now we have TLJ, which also has seemed to split the fanbase, and hence is looking likely for another huge second installment drop off. 

8 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Maybe, maybe not. The only thing certain is we cannot compare TFA’s and TLJ’s first weeks/weekends due to different calendar (at least not to extent to extrapolate TLJ’s legs).That’s all...

We’re not comparing their first weeks due to the calendar.

Again, that’s why we wouldn’t be expecting a 6% drop. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think it’s just some random pattern that the second eps in each trilogy have dropped off so much. Sure part of it is because the first have always been phenomenons, but in the case of AotC, by that point there was a significnat backlash in the fanbase against TPM that surely affected Clones. And in ESBs case, the movie was not met with universal praise among the ga at the time of release (or at least according to those who were around to remember it). So now we have TLJ, which also has seemed to split the fanbase, and hence is looking likely for another huge second installment drop off. 

Personally I don’t think they can sell anything as exciting to audiences as the ROTJ conclusion or getting to see Anakin turn into Vader. Everyone assumes the 3rd movie always increases from 2nd one, but not sure it will happen this time. 

Not that it matters. I would think Episode 9 still goes over $600m domestic even in worst case scenario. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Personally I don’t think they can sell anything as exciting to audiences as the ROTJ conclusion or getting to see Anakin turn into Vader. Everyone assumes the 3rd movie always increases from 2nd one, but not sure it will happen this time. 

Not that it matters. I would think Episode 9 still goes over $600m domestic even in worst case scenario. 

With the story/character choices they made in TLJ, I would have to agree. Not exactly sure what’s going to be the big hook now for the finale. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

backlash for TLJ was so intense among fans, and they are more passionate to hate it and spread the bad buzz than those general public that spread the good buzz....

why the backlash was so harsh? because rian just simply forget or underestimate how people actually like TFA despite being too similar to New hope...it's a movie that move nearly 100m of people into cinema, and gave such a phenomenal nostalgic buzz for public, for sure they will remember clearer for what was happening in TFA...

So harsh? With three SW movies in three years, TLJ was expected to fall from TFA. It is doing pretty, pretty good for a non-event movie (not to mention #1 for the year), and we will see if JJ's return does any better for Episode IX.

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This is the first time ever, I am not that interested in the next SW movie. 

Thank you Rian Johnson 

:apocalypse:

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

Curious how this relates to everything else. No # exists in a vacuum. If every movie has a drop or low increase compared to what it should, it would put this # in a different light. The reverse is also true. Certainly not a boring run,

I'll give it that.